Black Spirituality Religion : can a couple practice seperate religions?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by cursed heart, May 30, 2006.

1. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I'm asking this because it seems it would be a constant battle with converting one another.
    If you have kids which one will they follow?
    Also I ran into a friend who'm I use to date at 15yrs old out of nowhere!
    We have been talking and we had alot in common in this area.
    But what I didn't know until yesterday was he is a muslim(sp)
    Say if we hit it off, dont they believe in marrying and raising their children in this religion?

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

I would say it would depend on the religions. The Abrahamic religions preach doctrine that have no tolerance for men in women in different religions joining under the same household...Also one must rank where religion ranks in ones life based upon level of importance...What I am learning is one does not have to go through a religion to have a relationship with God or even worship God for that matter. What I suggest is several things. First study up on Islam, it's traditions, doctrines and customs. Find out more about him and what direction he's headed in. Consider why you stopped seeing eachother in the first place. Ask yourself if you are moving too fast. If you are courting let the man court you. (Notice I didn't say MAKE the man court you). Remember God made men and women and family before he made churches and religious groups. Anything is possible. Keep that in mind....

Peace....

3. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks Rad,
    I think he was a bit offended by me saying I donot want to convert.It did indeed make him a better man, i told him so.
    I let him know how proud I was to see him grow into a strong black man!

4. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    I think it depends on the person. Some people just won't tolerate someone being a different religion, and others don't see it as that much of a problem. It depends on what you want out of the relationship, but you'll have to decide how to raise the children. Other than that, it is an individual choice...although many people who are practicing members of their own religions want someone who can share that with them.

5. cursed heart

Ratings:
    +38
    Thank you sistah uplift!:book:

6. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    can a couple practice...

of course they can and it won't affect the kids..my mom was baptist and my father was catholic and i attended both services,but because the catholic church was so boring i went to the baptist services more.

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

(I know this is old, but still writing anyway)-

From what I know in my own faith, yes, they can do so, if they were together before one was found in the faith, that is. One trying to convert another might happen at the start, but might cease once both understand there's not going t be any change from the other.

Becoming a couple after one has been found in the faith seems a bit trickier, because it is as though one is setting up for a constant battle. People's faith isn't a frivolous thing, for it's what they believe will save their life, at the end, so jumping into a relationship with someone of a different faith as if you only disagree on football teams doesn't seem very wise.

I would think it could only work if both were humble in their faiths, and not aggressive to attack the other because of the differing views.

Also, I don't know very many who don't believe in raising their child in their own faith.