Black Sports : Cam Newton: 'I'm an African-American QB that scares people'

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Liberty, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    [​IMG]
    Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton throws a pass during practice for the NFL football team in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2016. The Panthers will meet the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50 in Santa Clara, Calif., on Feb. 7.(AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Panthers quarterback Cam Newton suggested for the first time Wednesday that race may play a factor in why he's become a lightning rod for public criticism.

''I'm an African-American quarterback that scares people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to,'' said the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Newton.

The No. 1 pick in the 2011 NFL draft out of Auburn, Newton has his share of detractors who either don't like how he plays, his celebrations or his abundance of self-confidence.

Newton, a leading league MVP candidate putting up record-breaking numbers, said he learned a long time ago that he can't please everyone.

''People are going to judge, and have opinions on things I don't have control over,'' Newton said.

The stout and speedy Newton is beating teams with his arm and his legs, throwing for 35 touchdowns and running for 10 this season. He has helped lead the Panthers (17-1) to their first Super Bowl since 2003. Carolina plays the AFC champion
    Denver Broncos on Feb. 7 in Santa Clara, California.

Read more

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cam-newton-im-african-american-qb-scares-people-210622631--nfl.html

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    i'm an african american male that 'scares' white people.
    then they use that as an excuse to visit all kinds of mischief on us.
    that's known as passive/aggressive.

"passive aggression is part of a larger umbrella of hidden anger stemming from ten traits of the angry child or adult. These traits include making one's own misery, the inability to analyze problems, blaming others, turning bad feelings into angry ones, attacking people, lacking empathy, using anger to gain power, confusing anger with self-esteem, and indulging in negative self-talk. those who hide their anger can be nice when they wish to be

• Agree Agree x 2
    • True True x 2
    • List
  3. Bruce LeeRoy

Bruce LeeRoy Member MEMBER

China
    Ratings:
    +8
    As I've been paying attention to Cam this year I can say that I agree with his comments. I also think it's a matter of him being confident. They some see him celebrating touchdowns, dancing and calling himself Superman and they hate that! They want players....who win quietly....and humbly (i.e.: Russell Wilson) suddenly it's a problem when a black quarterback is good and he knows it. It's purely a that shame people can hate on Cam with no pure justification.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    There are white people angry with him because he 'bout to do what many of their white favorites can't do; win a superbowl. :lol:

5. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    where's the lie?

6. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    Who Causes More White Tears: Cam Newton Or Serena Williams?

[​IMG]

As mentioned here numerous times before, Serena Williams’s entire career has been a prolonged troll for White Tears. From the moment the Williams sisters emerged from Compton and disrupted the tennis world’s effete and bourgeois establishment, White Tears have trailed her the way breadcrumbs trailed Hansel and Gretel. They’re shed when she wins, when she receives awards, when she expresses happiness, when she expresses anger, when she just exists. It’s almost as if she’s a Medela Swing Breastpump for White Tears, her very presence helping them drip and squirt, distilled and delicious, into BPA-free bottles.

Her White Tears inducing game is so fierce, in fact, that along with being the world’s most dominant athlete, she’s also consistently outpaced each of her contemporaries when determining the volume of White Tears induced. The only athlete who even rivals her in this capacity is Lebron James. But although “The Decision” caused more athlete-related White Tears to be shed than any other year in the 21st century — seriously, that year was like the 1992 Dream Team of White Tears — he hasn’t caused them to rain as consistently and torrentially as Serena has her entire career.

But today, on the 21st day of January in the year 2016, we have to collectively recognize another legitimate challenger to Serena’s throne. His name? Cameron Jerrell Newton.

Like Serena, Cam Newton’s entire career in the public eye has been accompanied by White Tears. There were the complaints that his Auburn team was dirty and classless and he — an historically great college quarterback — wasn’t deserving of the Heisman trophy. When going through the pre-draft interview process,
    one of the NFL’s most prominent draft analysts said he was “very disingenuous” and “has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup” and “has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble.”

Read more
    http://verysmartbrothas.com/who-causes-more-white-tears-cam-newton-or-serena-Williams/

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    my suggestion is that we all stop concerning ourselves with what white people think......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,208
    Super Bowl’s first black quarterback defends Cam Newton

When Cam Newton told reporters on Wednesday, “I’m an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven’t seen nothing they can compare me to,” a former NFL quarterback felt a special kinship.

“They probably look at Cam almost like they look at me,’’ Doug Williams told USA TODAY Sports, and with a chuckle he added, “I wish I was the athlete Cam is.”

Williams didn’t dance on the field, didn’t strike Superman poses and didn’t dazzle anyone with his running ability like Newton does for the Super Bowl-bound Carolina Panthers. But in 1988, Williams became the first black quarterback to play in the Super Bowl. He also won the MVP award that day when he led the Washington Redskins to a 42-10 victory over the Denver Broncos while throwing for 340 yards and four touchdowns on 18-of-29 passing.

Read more
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ck-doug-williams-defends-cam-newton/79455300/

9. SouthsideIrish

SouthsideIrish Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +348
    People don't like arrogance. End of story. People loved when "The Boz" failed because he was a cocky *****. He's ticked off players both black and white with his mouth and his dancing. But it's a lot easier to blame everyone with a "because I am black reaction" then to look inward and say " yeah a 10 second touchdown dance may be a little overboard."

10. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    You mean like your arrogance lol smh

I don't see those little white boys and girls and their families complaining when they get footballs after a TD is scored lol.

You make Cam's point.

If you don't like his dancing which I can do without because I'm old school, sign up to play DE/LB on an opposing team in his division and stop him personally.

I would never concentrate on what someone does after a play, I would concentrate on not letting them make the play.

But you have no problem with JJ Watt dancing after sacks though lol

And you call your comment the "end of story", when your whole comment shows you don't even get the story.

The hardest thing to see is the thing right in front of you. You remember looking for your screwdriver, you looked left then looked right and BAMN! there is was right there right in front of you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List