Calling All [email protected]!

Discussion in 'Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions' started by Destee, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family !!!

I am excited, but then it doesn't take much to excite me, especially when it concerns this community and our ability to grow and do more!

Well ... i think i have a wonderful idea and i'd like you all to tell me what you think about it.

I have created an email discussion list for the exclusive use of Premium Members in our community. For those of you who may not know, an email discussion list allows for anyone who is subscribed to that list, to send an email to one address ... [email protected] ... and a copy of that email will be sent to everyone on the list.

This email discussion list will allow us to discuss the future, growth, concerns, hopes, and dreams for our community! I feel as though if there is anyone in the whole wide world that i should be discussing these things with, it is all of you ... those who have stepped forward to help keep this community here. I don't know where we'd be, if it weren't for you. Thank you so much !!

Okay ... so before i get all mushy and stuff, let me remain focused on the purpose of this thread.

I have created this email discussion list for 2 reasons. They are listed below:

1. So we can discuss issues concerning the community.

2. So you can all see how this email discussion list works, so if you'd like to host one of your own, you can!

Now i don't want to overwhelm you with too much at one time, but to briefly touch on the fact that as a Premium Member, this will be another additional feature available only to Premium Members. Therefore, becoming familiar with our own ... [email protected] ... email discussion list, you can gain insight on how you might be able to use one of these for yourself (and the community).

Email discussion list topics are usually very focused. For example, you might want to start a list on any of the following topics:

midwife
    home schooling
    photography
    homework hotline (student submits question and others help with answer)
    college students (from all over the world, share experiences)
    artists
    home business / business startups
    publishing books
    day care business
    restoring antique cars
    coin collecting

Your list can be any topic at all! Only Premium Members will have the option of hosting / moderating / starting their own email discussion list. You will be able to run it how you'd like with quite a few features available to you as the Moderator of your list. I will provide more information regarding all the features, once we use our ... [email protected] ... email discussion list, and become more familiar. I just wanted to put this out there so those of you who may be interested, can begin thinking about it.

Okay, so now, back to our own email discussion list!

Each Premium Member must sign up for themselves via the link below:

http://lists.destee.com/mailman/listinfo/leaders

On the above page you'll find a brief description of our ... [email protected] ... email discussion list, as well as its purpose, and a place for you to enter your email address and name. Please enter your forum username, so i'll know that it's you. Once you enter your email address and name, you'll be sent an email confirmation. Please confirm the registration. Once you've confirmed it, i (the Moderator of this list) will approve your acceptance to this list.

Once you have registered, you'll receive confirmation via your email address and you will be allowed to send email to [email protected] and everyone who has registered to our new email discussion list, will receive a copy of your email.

We also have the option to have our email discussions posted on the web site for all to read. I'm not sure if we want the discussions made public, we can discuss this and decide together. I don't think we will be discussing such private issues that the Family (or anyone since it's on the Internet) can't know what we're talking about. It may encourage other Family Members to become a part of this Team, so they can not only read, but have input as well.

If you want to read the archives of this discussion list, which is currently public, you can go to the following address:

http://lists.destee.com/pipermail/leaders/

You will have the option to receive each individual email as it is sent, or get a digest version of all the emails sent that day. These are options available when you register.

KEYS TO SUCCESSFUL EMAIL DISCUSSION LISTS

1. You must have an interest in the topic you are hosting / moderating / starting.

2. You must keep your participants focused on the topic, even if it means kicking them off the list if they do not cooperate. It's not good to have an email discussion list, where the topic is cars, but you have folk sending emails about fishing.

3. You must keep the "noise" to a bare minimum, even if it means kicking folk off your list. "Noise" on an email discussion list can be off topic posts, as well as emails that are sent to the entire group but aren't really saying anything substantive. For example, someone may send an email to the entire group that says ... "okay" ... that's noise! Too many of those and you will have a failing discussion list. On our list i'd like to encourage you all not to do this. Please refrain from sending emails to everyone that only have 1 - 3 word responses. That's just wrong. Don't fill everyone's email boxes up with that noise, please!

It's been a long time since i've managed an email discussion list, so i'm sure we will all be "learning" as we go. This will help those of you who may be interested in hosting your own email discussion list become more familiar.

Are you going to register for the "[email protected]" email discussion list?

Do you think this is a good idea?

Remember ... go to this address to register:
    http://lists.destee.com/mailman/listinfo/leaders

Also remember, we still have our private forum here, and we can use this thread to discuss this in more detail, so if you have any questions please post them here. There is not a "noise" limit on the forum, so post to your heart's content! :wink:

I am so looking forward to everyone's comments and participation!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
  3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    thankz i'm in ! all done ..........

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
  5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    This is the introductory description to our [email protected] email discussion list found on the signup page:

If you want to host your own email discussion list, you will need to provide an introductory description to your list as well.

Destee

6. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    I have not received my confirm the registration email....QQ

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hmmmm Sister MzBlk ... another Sister said she was having problems too ... PM me with the email address you'd like to use for this list ... and i'll see if i can set it up myself ... not sure what's causing any problems, but that is what this list is for ... to work out the bugs ... see how easy or difficult this is going to be for future lists.

Please PM me with the address you want to use, if you have any problems registering yourself. After i register your address, you should still receive a confirmation email with a link in it to confirm your registration to this list. You will need to pick up the process at that point, by clicking on that link.

If you have any other questions, problems, etc., please let me know here.

Destee

8. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    ok...thanks

Angel

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    On the signup page, where it asks for you to choose a password and confirm it, just skip that part ... i've been skipping it, and it seems fine. I'm not sure if this might be where folk are having problems ... i don't know ... we are in a testing our discussion list phase ... :wink:

Destee

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    This is a great idea Des and as always, another good addition to the community. I've signed up, just waiting for my confirmation to arrive.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar: