Pan Africanism : Call for More African Unity with Blacks in America

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Akilah, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    The African Union (AU) may one day find that its most powerful ally is Blacks in the United States. At the same time, Blacks in this country can be literally “transformed” by making a pilgrimage to the African continent, which represents the “final frontier” for world economic development, National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA) members were told Sept. 8.

But ironically, the African ambassadors in Washington have never sat down and met with the 39-member Congressional Black Caucus (CBC). “Marcus Garvey must be turning over in his grave,” Melvin Foote, president of the Constituency for Africa (CFA) told the meeting held at historic Africare House during the annual (CBC) Legislative Conference week. “Kwame Nkrumah is saying: ‘What is going on with our people?’”

More than a year ago, the AU decided to formally include Africans living in the Diaspora as the “Sixth Region” of the Union’s organizational structure, said Mr. Foote who said he intends to bring about a face-to-face meeting between the CBC and the African diplomatic corps. He considers that AU’s decision a dramatic expansion of the reach of Africa into the power corridors of Washington, but the AU must first expand its outreach to Blacks in the U.S.

Investment by Blacks in this country through pension funds and credit unions may be the last economic frontier anywhere in the world, said Dorothy Leavell, publisher of The Chicago Crusader, who has made several trips throughout the African continent as part of numerous delegations. One African president advised a delegation in which she was a member that the African economy has yet to receive the infusion of investment financing that would ensure its future wealth and development.

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=383f6660ea563affab22566c79145c2f

2. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    hellooooo...???

Awww come on, no on has any thoughts to share about this article ???

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I missed the article sister Akilah, sorry for the late response. I think that the future of black people worldwide lies on those in the African Diaspora reconnecting with the mother continent (spiritually and economically, if not physically).

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Yeah... it's hard to make a comment on something you agree with, and/or something that has already put forth a blueprint for action.

All I can really add is that this is a step in the right direction, and I hope more movements/organizations can be formed to promote African and Black American unity.

5. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    I agree with you both...thanks for responding

6. brother Malik

brother Malik Well-Known Member MEMBER

Data Analyst (software)
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good job Akilah

I apologize to you Akilah. I should have read this sooner. This is very important information. A welcome diversion from the the constant sex/dating/relationship threads. The fact that the AU has decided to include us as the sixth region in their organizational stucture is good news. We need to create bonds between African Americans and our family in the motherland. And your information that the CBC is not closely coordinating with African political organizations is good to know. That is an issue that we, the AA's here, need to address with our political representatives in Washington. Thanks for the info.

Malik

7. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Oh, I'm with it!!! Thanks for the link Akilah - I'm constantly getting the best resources from Destee. I think it's one of the best online African forums. But anyways...

People on this site are politically and socially aware. We're learning so much more about our history than previous generations. But, does anyone have any plans to live an African lifestyle and consciousness. What I mean is, when will we be home!! I know I'm going to trace my roots, but what happens after that. I don't want to spend my life in a culture that doesn't celebrate me. So the idea of Pan-Africanism ( when was the first P.A. Congress? ) is brilliant. And I was reading on another thread, about the Pan-African march. What are the social and economic structures that empower the masses of people (not an elite few). I know this is pretty big, but I need help digesting it.

With Pan-African unity, and conciousness, how do you see us organising to shape our future?

/tim

8. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    One way is with cooperative economics, trade, research etc...
    For example : Black college/universities such as Tuskegee Univ.
    work closely w/ African nations on sustainable agriculture projects
    that can be beneficial to both Africans and African Americans.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The 1st Pan African congress was held in 1919, and the 1st Pan African conference was held in 1900. The idea of PanAfricanism is quite old, and is as essential to our future today as it was then!

10. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    There are talks for the possiblity of hosting a 4th Pan-African congress. Hope they use such a congress to push an agenda for economic renewal of black Africa. I also hope they follow through on that meeting.