Black People : Calif. group seeks to interest blacks in farming

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    [​IMG]
    FRESNO, Calif. (AP) -- As the sun rises on tilled soil on the outskirts of Fresno, Calif., Mori Vance bends to pick black eyed peas, then disappears among towering okra bushes. Vance, who is African-American, is harvesting her first crop with several other novice black farmers, all hoping to make it their life's work.

The African American Farmers of California started the 15-acre demonstration farm to teach about growing and eating healthy food and to get African-American kids interested in agriculture.

The project is part of a nationwide effort to revive the pride of black farmers and reverse the decline of black-owned farms. In Milwaukee, Atlanta and Chicago, black-run nonprofit organizations are providing African-Americans with land to farm, conducting workshops in agriculture and training youth in gardening.

"A lot of black people, their grandparents were farmers, but they were forced out of agriculture. We're trying to help them easily re-enter into it," said Will Scott, president of the California farmers group. "The goal is that they eventually become self-sufficient."

http://www.thegrio.com/news/calif-group-seeks-to-interest-blacks-in-farming.php

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    I had a farm a couple of Summers ago. It was hard work. My mom still grows tomatoes. I'd get back into it but only if I could do it with hydroponics.

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    My dad and mom were pretty good at growing food. We always had a garden when I was little with tomatoes, greens, and other vegetables.

4. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    If the pooh hits the fan in this country, this will be the only reprieve for some.
    City dwellers will always be worse off...compared to their rural counterparts.
    *shrug*

I can shuck corn, pluck a bird and fish. Can't exactly grow anything...and I'd have nowhere to do it if I even wanted to. Definitely can't plant on our 'chemically treated' lawn, that's for sure. *laugh*

We have our acres down in the country, i.e., Kenwood, Halletsville, Senton. Mostly the areas between San Antonio and Houston.
    A smokehouse. Farmland. Cotton field. A ranch. Etc...whatever you need to sustain yourself out there.
    Y'know what I love about the country? It's so cool. You don't even need AC, imo.
    The air is fresher, too.

But, yeah -- we have some acres that have been in the family for over a century. So, the act of giving farmland and teaching black folks to farm is a good idea.
    Country folk ARE more self-sufficient.

Trust me, my grandparents on my father's side sat pretty during the Great Depression for this reason alone: They didn't have to rely on this govt for a thing.
    ...because whatever they ate? My grandfather hunted or grew. Whatever they wore? My grandmother made...and their 13 kids did the chores and went to school.
    My aunts used to tell us all of the time about sitting in that little 'school-house', heating their biscuits and gravy up by the stove.
    Which, I'm guessing, was located within the classroom...and y'know -- that sounds absolutely dangerous. *laugh* But...this was a different time. Kids were tougher and folks were just plain 'hardier' back then. *laugh*

My grandfather and his father and brother had a little grocery store and small dining area, too. They sold the (wild) meat and bar b cue.
    No, the white folks didn't torch it to the ground. Contrary to popular belief, every white wasn't a racist in that time. A few knew 'right' but put their blinders on(which is worse, imo). Yes, this was Texas and the Klan had a presence in the state.
    However, my grandfather and his daddy were known w/in that town. They were 'White Folk Savvy'. *laugh* They knew how to navigate the environment and 'not make waves'. Plus, those whites had known my family for a generation or two. They weren't going to do a thing to them. OR, for that matter, allow anyone else come in there and cause a ruckus, either.
    In fact, a small amount of the white citizens could be counted upon as patrons to the 'black' store....
    Finally, yes -- the store did survive the Great Depression. For a time. Was the springboard that allowed some of my aunts to go to college. Definitely proud of my kin and their hardwork. I think, with the later generations, they were all the motivation that we needed to succeed.

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Now that's Black Power!!!!!

6. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I have the land and most of the equipment....but I don't have the time. anybody got the time?

7. MsVee

MsVee Active Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +30
    I don't have any farming talents, but I think it's a good idea.

8. MsVee

MsVee Active Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +30
    James,
    Thank You for posting this topic. I'm going to look into it. My daughter has been saying that she wants to be a farmer for YEARS! We talk about it all the time,and since I don't know the first thing about farming(besides the tiny garden that we have)this will be a good start.

9. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I want to be a farmer in a few years.
    Farm food and energy :).

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399