Cote d'Ivoire : Côte d'Ivoire peace threatened, again

Kwango_Likemba

Jan 3, 2005
afrol News, 2 June -

Around 55 people have been killed so far as two population groups in western Côte d'Ivoire started slaughtering each other yesterday. The town of Duékoué is now plagued with revenge attacks between two peoples representing the north-south divide of the country, spurring fears that Côte d'Ivoire's fragile peace process again could be threatened.

In the night between Tuesday and Wednesday, the first well-planned attack on the majority Guéré people of Duékoué town took everybody by surprise. The perpetrators, commonly believed to be from the northern Dioula people, killed 41 people and wounded 61 on the outskirts of the major cocoa marketing town.

Today, as Guéré civilians from the town's outskirts have sought refuge in Duékoué, the fronts between the town's two major population groups have hardened. Armed groups of Guérés and Dioulas are engaging in revenge attacks. At least ten more people have been killed in these attacks since yesterday's massacre, according to local police reports.

The Guéré and Dioula peoples are indeed not clashing for the first time. As is typical for parts of the region, conflicts over land rights have turned violent between "northern" cattle herding peoples and "southern" farming peoples. The farming Guéré people has for decades felt its lands were occupied by foreigners growing cocoa and the Dioula - cousins of the Mandinka from Guinea and Senegal - a Muslim minority people controlling much of the town's trade a cattle raising.

The town of Duékoué is located in the government controlled area of south-western Côte d'Ivoire, closely to the rebel held regional centre Man. While the escalating conflict between the Guéré and Dioula peoples are not a direct product of the Ivorian civil war, it may easily develop into a symbolic fight, reflecting the fronts between the rebel held north and the government controlled south.

According to the UN peacekeepers in Côte d'Ivoire, UNOCI, the massacres of Duékoué are the most serious clashes in the country for several months. Côte d'Ivoire in general is observing a fragile and tense ceasefire, where UNOCI is trying to initiate a disarmament programme. The programme at this stage is directed towards local militias and armed groups such as fractions of the Guéré and Dioula peoples.

The new fighting therefore comes as a big setback for the peace process as it demonstrates the UN's and the government's incapacity of protecting civilians. Militias will further doubt their participation of the initial disarmament programme. There are also fears that the conflict in Duékoué - if not checked very soon - may again radicalise northern and southern groups, thus further slowing down the national peace process.

The UN peacekeepers in Côte d'Ivoire yesterday were the first to warn of the possible negative impact of the fighting. The clashes would be dealing a blow to the reconciliation attempts of the past month, UNOCI said, strongly condemned the attack.

The UN mission further said it had reinforced its troops in the area with mobile patrols and stationary units in the area, which is under Ivorian Security and Defence Forces control. UNOCI yesterday sent a team of human rights experts to the area and called on the Ivorian government to "arrest the perpetrators and try them in conformity with the law."

By staff writers

© afrol News

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
Kwango, if you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you would email me. I'd be interested in hearing more about efforts and energies directed at unification of Africans, but feel that that just ain't gonna happen in a "black" or an "african american" forum. Thanks.

Kwango_Likemba

Jan 3, 2005
Brother AnAfrica, give me your email address, I will contact you shortly.

I don't have premium membership, you need to give me an email address.

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
Kwango_Likemba said:
Brother AnAfrica, give me your email address, I will contact you shortly.

I don't have premium membership, you need to give me an email address.
mskila[at]speakeasy.net - i'm sorry, i thought you'd be able to click on my name, get to my profile and send an email from there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Perfection Cote d'Ivoire : In Context Series: Deforestation and Agricultural Productivity in the Côte d'Ivoire Cote d'Ivoire 0
S Cote d'Ivoire : The Struggle of the People of Côte d'Ivoire Cote d'Ivoire 48
K Black People : Tragic killings in Côte d’Ivoire this week Black People Open Forum 5
L Cote d'Ivoire : For Those Who Want to Stand Up for Cote d'Ivoire, & for Africa! Cote d'Ivoire 6
Ankhur Cote d'Ivoire : African nation assisting France in Cote D'Ivoire Cote d'Ivoire 0
Ankhur Cote d'Ivoire : Cote D'Ivoire's Gbagbo's right;UN should leave/ but the AU should throw him out! Cote d'Ivoire 1
HODEE Black People : Martin Luther King Jr. Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech _ Accepted the Prize, and asked " Why "... When We Have A Way To Go Black People Open Forum 0
Al D Africa : Young Cameroon peace activist receives children’s award All Things Africa 0
B The Front Porch : Peace The Front Porch 3
FlowerCrownedQueen The Front Porch : Peace & Blessings The Front Porch 3
N The Front Porch : Peace unto all ,Thank you Destee The Front Porch 2
Perfection Black People Politics : In Context Series: Conflict Resolution and Peace Black People Politics 0
Destee Ghana : Kofi Annan : Former UN chief (first Black African) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Ghana 1
K Africa : the black man, must he make a decision to restore the peace of Africa All Things Africa 2
T Black Short Stories : Melchizedek: King of Peace Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
jamesfrmphilly Black Positive People : black-lives-matter-to receive sydney-peace-prize Black People Doing Positive Things 1
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Outlaw: War & Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
B The Front Porch : Peace and love everyone! The Front Porch 4
willa Black People Politics : PEACE Black People Politics 4
Trey bennett Black Spirituality Religion : Isolation/ peace amongst self Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
blazejay Black Relationships : I just want to speak my peace Black Relationships 15
Al D Black People : (NO JUSTICE) NO PEACE, NO FREEDOM, NO PROFIT Black People Open Forum 3
MessiahBelovedAllah Nation of Gods and Earths : Peace... Nation of Gods and Earths Study Group 2
D Nation of Gods and Earths : Peace to the gods and earths Nation of Gods and Earths Study Group 4
Oyana Zuri Earth The Front Porch : Peace to the God's and Earth's. The Front Porch 1
jamesfrmphilly Black Spirituality Religion : Pope-Francis-Many-powerful-people-don-t-want-peace-because-they-live-off-war Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
jamesfrmphilly Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III : inner peace..... Metu Neter - Vols I - II - III Study Group 7
queenElizabeth The Front Porch : Hello & peace be with each and every one The Front Porch 5
M Black Poetry : Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Enki Black Entertainment : Mandrill-Peace And Love Black Entertainment 2
noor100 Black Muslims : A Mystic on the Missing Years of Isa/Jesus [peace be upon him] Islam Study Group 0
R The Front Porch : Peace to the house. The Front Porch 5
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black People Politics : Art of Peace Black People Politics 0
CosmicMessenger Black People : Peace And Love! Black People Open Forum 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Quiet Poetry Lounge : Resting In Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Bishop Black Poetry : Revelation of Peace (Got My Head Back Together) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
noor100 Black Muslims : The Descent of Isa/Jesus [peace be upon him] Islam Study Group 0
K The Front Porch : Peace Beloved The Front Porch 4
cherryblossom Audio Video Web Conferencing : The Emotions- Peace Be Still Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
Bogi The Front Porch : Peace The Front Porch 7
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Poetry : Love's Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Education / Schools : African dresswear as a symbolic peace and unity Black Education / Schools 5
KaHotep Black Poetry : Art of War and Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
KaHotep Black Poetry : Rest Enter Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Can Anyone Use the word - Peace - or is it reserved for a select few? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
Bootzey Nation of Gods and Earths : Peace Nation of Gods and Earths Study Group 33
coey30 Black Poetry : My Peace... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
KaHotep Black Poetry : Piano Melody: Pieces of Peace Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
6 Nation of Gods and Earths : Peace Dear brother have you ever heard of Nation of Gods and Earths Study Group 3
1svd2srv Black Poetry : NEW FOUND PEACE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3