Black Christians : By The Rivers Of Babylon/Psalms 137

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Thanks, Bro Clyde for the response. I was asking in reference to verses 7-9, specifically but forgot to state that.

However, wasn't that a BEAUTIFUL rendition of the Psalm by Boney M?!

I LOVED it! I noticed that her version also mixed in some of Psalm 19:14:

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Thanks to Sister Phnxofkmt for mentioning her. I'm gonna check out more of her music. I like it!

cherryblossom,

It seems that my answer sufficed, that is a good thing. By all means, Boney M and crew were perfect in illustrating that only Black People can sing the Psalms, which were written by them to them and for them...Peace In my sister friend.

sister cherryblossom,

Well, keep in mind this fact about any of the Psalms, book of praises. They are poetic writings of praise unto the Almighty God—The Original African Heritage Study Bible

Onto your question asking for clarification: Bro. Clyde, would you give some clarification on this Psalm in relation to the OT “an eye for an eye” versus the NT “turning the other cheek?”

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking how does the message of Psalm 137 relate to the Old Testament’s eye for an eye, and the New Testament’s turning the other cheek. If I have not properly paraphrased the question, please restate and explain. Otherwise, here is my understanding of what you are seeking.

There is no relationship on the basis that the quotes above from the Old and New Testaments refer to humans and their treatment toward other humans. While on the other hand, the Psalm has all to do with God and his judgment of Babylon. Luke 20: 18 makes this clear through the words of Yashua/Jesus the messiah in that, Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken, but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to power.

Again, the wording of the question somewhat throws me, and normally, I would ask that the question be restated, I hope this helps.

Umh. Thank you for this.

Such emotion in your first post, CherryB. Ones of grief, spite, and recompense. The Holy Scripture never fail in giving the full story. No, it never fail to show us in the Word inspired by the Spirit how things were for the Father's people, and how things which were to come would be.

All of these teachings and lessons of history now and forever, all the faithful should hold dear, because in them all is life, the Word of the Father.

Keeping in faith to the Father on High through the Holy Son and His sacrifice in the body for our sins, and keeping the belief on His works, His Word, and His resurrection from the dead to life eternal that our redemption would be sealed, we have salvation, understanding in the Scriptures and world around us, and we have each other, as the Father forever has us all. Blessings! :)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back