Black People : BW and the Feminist Movement

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kemetstry, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,147
    As I sat watching various activists in the Clinton campaign. :eeek: I sat there in shock as I watched some, ( one in particular ) state that they still had reservations about whether or not they would support Obama. He had to show them something!

I was reminded of a documetary on the feminist movements origins which was shown on PBS. It dealt with the the movements other cofounder, whose name escapes me for the moment. She quit the movement because Susan B Anthony, cut a deal with southern women to remove blacks. Which brought about the end of the positive step of reconstruction. This was done by her, in spite of the fact that it was Fredrick Douglass himself, that gave the keynote address, that got the yes votes which founded the movement. :karate: Moreover, in the history of said movement, deals like this have been struck repeatedly.:SuN013:

Why do black women continually identify with the feminist cause? :bowdown:

2. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,147
    :wb::10900::drink::qqb002::witch::SuN041::bazooka::playball::qqb007::bowl:

bot

3. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Brother Warrior Kemestry! and Bother Warrior Omowale!

Black Woman's Manifesto
    Introduction

Racism and capitalism have trampled the potential of black people in this country and thwarted their self-determination. Initially the physical characteristics of those of African descent were used to fit blacks into the lowest niche in the capitalist hierarchy - that of maintenance. Therefore, black women and men of today do not encourage division by extending physical characteristics to serve as a criterion for a social hierarchy. If the potential of the black woman is seen mainly as a supportive role for the black man, then the black woman becomes an object to be utilized by another human being. Her potential stagnates and she cannot begin to think in terms of self-determination for herself and all black people. It is not right that her existence should be validated only by the existence of the black man.

The black woman is demanding a new set of female definitions and a recognition of herself of a citizen, companion and confidant, not a matriarchal villian or a step stool baby-maker. Role integration advocates the complementary recognition of man and woman, not the competitive recognition of same.

Role integration encourages a broader mental and emotional growth in black women and men as they share the responsibility of working towards liberation. Neither of them should be relegated to a narrow experience in life. Neither of them should have their potentiality for self-determination controlled and predetermined by the opposite sex. That is a type of slavery that will not deliver us as a people. That is a form of bondage which is an integral part of the racist and capitalist system which black women and black men must work to oppose and overthrow.

(Gayle Lynch)

*Linda La Rue, The Black Movement and Women�s Liberation, The Black Scholar, Vol. I. May, 1970. p.42

Black "Feminism" and....

M.E.
    :hearts2:

4. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,147

This is all good. But, there are many more sisters that are members of NOW than subscribe to this. You cant deny it

5. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    :?::?:What da Flip that got to DO with me:?::?:

and...

See what I mean bout people and they ish!

I'm SURE you have NOT even listened to.....

M.E.

6. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    LISTEN TO LEARN....LEARN TO LISTEN...

M.E.

7. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Those comments....after the "but"...become points validating my experiences!

Why benefit to me to look at what the woman or whoever of "NOW":?:
    What 'control" do I have of THEIR behaviors:?:
    I'm working on.....

M.E.
    :hearts:

8. Prizmm

Prizmm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Becoming Universal
    Ratings:
    +22
    :hearts4:

I try always to find a simple mnuemonic that will assist me in my attempt at greater understanding. The male/female roles/responsibilities under the dominance of the racist construct has skewed our perceptions to some extent. I am mindful of the centuries removed sisters who lived under the harshness of a chattel existence. Who gave birth to male and to female children, and I ask myself what "her" admonishment to both her children might be.
    I doubt she suggested that they go it alone and prey upon each other as if dogs eating dogs. That said it seems simple, we need to reconnect to that which is logical, and natural. We shouldn't have to ask ourselves how to come together we should instead recognize that we once stood together out of necessity, and ignore the attempts of the smartest among us to create true animous between men and women/brothers and sisters in a common struggle.
    If in fact we are under the final stage of racism; refinement, and no longer able to see the mechanism used against our antecedents, we should most assuredley take care not to become complicit in our own destruction. Until white supremacy/racism is affected our inter-family disagreements will always trace back to the existence of a system that has in many ways neutered our natural inclinations to fight as one.
    If not for the black woman who bore an amazing psychological assault in 'our' struggle, (yes we fathered, but they birthed the strange fruit of days 'passsed') we would be even more fractured than we are. The greatest success of the racist against our people would be they're turning sisters against their brothers and children. Peace sister truthtothecause!

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,147

:qqb013:

:ref:

I submit you arent speaking to the point

10. Kemetstry

United States