Black People : Buying Abandoned Buildings

karmashines

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 26, 2005
In another thread, Jamesfrmphilly said:

jamesfrmphilly said:
you could do the same thing better in an abandoned factory building in north philly.
why? infrastructure.
these buildings have all your heavy weight stuff already built in.
power, waste, access to the railroad tracks, etc.......

there is abandoned structure all through out the rust belt.

This strategy could be used to start really whatever type of business would
be necessary to establish black economic solidarity.

What do you think of this idea and what is the best way for individuals to implement it?

Can you broaden the scope of the thread to include building black institutions?

I think the choice of location and infrastructure is likely a case by case decision, depending on the resources one has at their disposal. But the discussion of concepts/strategy, funding options, planning milestones, etc. could be shared by all who are interested in this.

I personally would have less interest in factory buildings since I would rather build out on owned land, but I would benefit from a discussion about what to build and how.

philly once had manufactoring jobs.
when i was young we all had jobs.
the black community was prosperous.
now we are all poor and the entire area is abandoned (but you can screw a white woman)

i live in a converted factory building.
the building next to me has internet businesses and artists and start up tech businesses. the next building over is an afrocentric charter school.
there are plenty of old abandoned factories here. they are pretty cheap. the biggest expense would be clean up and rehab.
we have all the infra structure in place. transportation, communication (fiber optic in the ground) power, water and sewage.
white artists from NYC come down and buy entire buildings to use for studios.
it's all good in north philly.

kemetkind said:
Can you broaden the scope of the thread to include building black institutions?

I think the choice of location and infrastructure is likely a case by case decision, depending on the resources one has at their disposal. But the discussion of concepts/strategy, funding options, planning milestones, etc. could be shared by all who are interested in this.

I personally would have less interest in factory buildings since I would rather build out on owned land, but I would benefit from a discussion about what to build and how.

This thread is here for any type of pondering on what to do with the abandoned building. So yes, you can focus the discussion on that if you wish.

This is not an area of expertise for me so I myself personally will not be able to offer 'blueprints' for implenting how to do this. But I hope others that do know about it will put their heads together.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back