Black Relationships : BUT WHY?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by oldiesman, Apr 22, 2009.

1. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    something i've been thinking about for awhile and maybe some of you have wondered about it too,now i know that when you get married you marry into your[husband's-wife's]family got that but the term[mother-father-sister-brother in law]it just sounds um what's the word i'm looking for[incestuos]i know how that sounds but,shouldn't there be another way do address your spouses relatives?[don't everybody jump on me at once,haha]i mean i'm just wondering.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Good question ,I too wondered the same thing , when we say my in-laws well to me
    sometime make me feel like , well it's kinda hard to express but i'll come up with the
    right words ......maybe i can get some insight from other members to this question

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Brother OldiesMan ... i never thought incestious thoughts, when referring to those who have married into the Family ... but i have thought that it doesn't sound right ... as though it makes too great a separation ... when in fact ... those are my Sisters and Brothers now.

I think "Sister-in-Law" ... "Brother-in-Law" ... is too far removed for such a close Family Member.

I prefer referring to them as Sister and Brother ... like i do the siblings they married.

Great Topic.

:heart:

Destee