Black People : Bush will "allow" Condoleeza Rice to testify

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by diakonos, Mar 31, 2004.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    So, Richard Clarke doesn’t like the way the Bush administration handled the events leading up to 9/11. He feels that more could have been done to prevent it. Did we really need Richard Clarke to point that out to us? Wasn’t it obvious that the Bush administration was completely incompetent with regards to the handling of 9/11 (before and after it happened)? And now that Bush is getting a lot of bad press from Clarke’s book and comments on how incompetent he is, he has decided to “allow” Condoleeza Rice to testify to the commission investigating 9/11. It’s more like she will be made to testify against her will. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not the biggest advocate of Condoleeza Rice. But she certainly isn’t the only person in the Bush administration that was involved in the handling (or lack there of) of 9/11. It kind of makes you wonder why she is being singled out.

I have an idea. Why don’t we “allow” Bush to testify publicly about what did and didn’t happen prior to 9/11? Put Colon Powell on the stand too for all I care.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    When you lay with dogs....you get fleas.

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I have to agree with PA on this; but, as I have stated in the past, I shutter the kind of pressure this woman must be under... and Colin Powell too; I mean he gets grayer-skin and hair- as each day passes.

I am no fan of either of them; and what little empathy I may have had for them- because of scrutiny that they go through, etc.... left after Haiti- And I still think that is for the Haitians to figure out; but did they get their souls mixed up in this matter?

I just wish them rest.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    This is an example of why I think the present day political arena can be extremely hazardous to the health and welfare of Black Americans. With people like Bush at the helm, leading the pack, how can we not get sucked into the vortex when the "stuff" hits the fan?

Because Colin and Condi have such high level positions with a great deal of "authority", they are very deeply involved in what happens politically in this country and therefore, all we can do is sit back and wait to see where the axe drops. Even though in the beginning Colin was very much against taking on Iraq, and vehemently argued his opposition with Bush and Condi, ultimately he was out powered and had to go along and defend whatever reasons he was told we should. Did he know he was defending a "lie"? Probably so, and if he didn't he should have taken the time to find out since it was his butt that would be out there naked taking pot shots. The National Security Advisor and Secretary of State...don't have the luxury of saying "oops!"

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

5. Nightlance

Nightlance Member MEMBER

Research Analyst
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clueless

:angel1:“You may fool all the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can’t fool all of the people all the time.”
    --- Abraham Lincoln

Resisting the strident public calls for Rice’s testimony under oath, the White House has unwittingly generated the distressing impression that they are seriously afraid of perjuring themselves during an election year. In fact, new information on a national security policy speech has recently surfaced that reveals that the White House was preoccupied with establishing Reagan's SDI system on the very day that the terrorists attacked. In short, terrorist attacks were not on their radar screen, and as a result, poor George was caught with his pants down.

6. Captain Ray

Captain Ray Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    Condi is a brilliant woman.. I think people will/have been surprised at just how well she has performed in the public spotlight. This Clark guy is a joke. He will make money off his book, but that will be the end of him. When the real pro's like Rice get done with him, he will wish he were poor again...

Raymond

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Greetings and welcome, Captain Ray. Make yourself at home by checking out the variety of different features we have to offer.

Thank you for responding to our discussion threads. As you can see, we discuss everything under the sun here. I'm glad to see you jumping right in and adding your opinions.

In reference to your comment about Condi, I agree, she is brilliant in terms of her intellect, particularly as it relates to foreign affairs which is her area of expertise. But let me ask you, regardless of what we might think of Clarke and his allegations of how the Bush administration handled 9/11, and even though he may be no match for Condi, do you think that she will be forthcoming with the truth in her testimony before the special 9/11 committee or will she prove that she's also an expert in "covering up" the truth?

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

8. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank-you for the welcome!

Well, that is a more interesting question than perhaps you meant it to be.

It implies that she would cover anything up, before she has answered a question!?!

I think she has answered all the questions she is able to publicly.. putting her in front of the 911 commission is just a dramatic episode that will only serve to crush the reputation and work of Richard Clarke. It's too bad really, because I doubt Clarke is as Evil as the right wing play him.. I think he is an opportunist that thrust himself into a game he is not fit to play.

Raymond

(edited for spelling... I type on the fly...)

9. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
  10. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched the last hour and 1/2 or so. It started a bit early west coast time for me.

I thought she (Dr. Rice) did very well. She maintained her decorum, and in the face of some pretty abusive attacks, (which to me at times seemed far more concerned with the politics, and less with the substance and/or desire to make sure this kind of thing never happens again.) was clear, unwavering, and confident. I didn't detect from her any lie. She answered the leading questions forthrightly, and completely.

I think what I got out of the whole debacle was that the commission has an agenda, and most if not all of the commissioners had made up how they want their report to read long before Condi took the oath.

Rear Admiral Lehman was the most impressive of the commissioners. He really put the screws to her, and brought out some good information. Of course I am biased on this point.. When I was in the Navy, Lehman was the then CNO. So I like him from the start.

Also, I found it pretty funny that the commissioners kept referring to her as "Dr. Clarke!" LMBO Freudian slip?!?!

I give Dr. Rice a B+!

Raymond