Black People : Bush Has Only Half as Many Top-Level Blacks as Clinton...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    By Hazel Trice Edney
    NNPA Washington Correspondent

WASHINGTON (NNPA) – Despite the high visibility of Secretary of State Colin Powell, only 3.3% of the State Department’s senior executives – three Black males and three Black females – are among the 170 senior-level executives at the U. S. State Department, according to records obtained by the NNPA News Service from the U. S. Office of Personnel Management. “It’s extremely unfortunate and unacceptable that even though the highest ranking person at the State Department is African-American, that there are not more African-Americans in senior level positions,” says Hilary Shelton, director of the Washington Bureau of the NAACP. “Indeed, there are extremely well-qualified African-Americans; yet, they have not been sought and they have not been brought up through the ranks. It is this that creates the lack of credibility of this State Department around the world.”

District of Columbia Delegate to Congress, Eleanor Holmes Norton, chair of the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission (EEOC) under Jimmy Carter, says the problem is not limited to the State Department. “The top of the government is still layered with White males,” she says. “Affirmative action is not going on there. To get around barriers that have kept Blacks out of the top echelons of American industry or the federal government, you have to do affirmative action. By that I mean to look to where the talent is, to give it the requisite opportunity and training to move up. That has not been happening essentially in the federal government.”

Norton was reacting to statistics from the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM), the Government Accountability Organization (GAO) and a Newsday report, all showing an under representation of African-Americans in the federal government. The Newsday analysis of federal personnel records shows that Blacks hold only 7% of the 2,800 administration jobs under Bush, less than half of the 16% held under President Clinton. The Newsday analysis also showed that Bush awarded more than half of his political appointments (54%) to white men, while Clinton awarded 57% of those appointments to women and people of color.

The GAO report, ordered early last year by several members of the Congressional Black Caucus, including Norton and U. S. Rep. Danny K. Davis (D-Ill.), showed that the senior executive level of the United States Government was more than 91% white, with little hope for change. “More than half of the 6,100 career SES (people serving in leadership, management or director positions) employed on October 1, 2000, will have left service by October 1, 2007,” the GAO report projects. “Using current SES appointment trends, the only significant changes in diversity will be an increase in the number of white women and an essentially equal decrease in white men.”

President Bush frequently points to Powell and National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice – both serving in roles that have not traditionally gone to African-Americans – as examples of his having a diverse Cabinet. However, the reports paint a different picture. The OPM data shows that Blacks comprise 7.9% of all senior executive personnel of cabinet-level agencies, while whites comprise 85%. The overall federal workforce comprises 41% white men, 26% white women, 8% Black men and 11% Black women, according to the EEOC.

Read the entire article here:

http://wilmingtonjournal.blackpressusa.com/news/Article/Article.asp?NewsID=3493&sID=3

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Let me ask a question................And I will post this on every Bush/Kerry thread that I can find just so everyone can see it:

AT THE CAMPAIGNS, HOW MANY AFRICAN-AMERICAN FOLKS DO YOU SEE STANDING BEHIND BUSH OR KERRY?

3. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    You NEVER see any around or behind Bush...not even in the audiences where he campaigns... :eeek:

4. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Re: the thread topic:

Bill Clinton set a precedent that future presidents will have a hard time reversing. He broke the mold...the mold from Lyndon Johnson to the first George Bush was one African-American in your cabinet at a time. Every president from LBJ forward had at least one: "OK, we appointed all the important people, now let's find one Black who can be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development or of Health and Human Services."

Clinton, on the other hand, had many African-Americans in major positions in the White House. The chief of White House personnel, his budget director, his director of public outreach, his deputy chief of staff were all African-American, as was his Secretary of Labor (Alexis Herman) and Commerce (the late Ron Brown). His liaison between the White House and the Congress - Thurgood Marshall's son - was African-American.

Even though Bush did not appoint as many African-Americans as Clinton, he did appoint more minorities (e.g., Hispanics and Mexicans)...

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    EXACTLY

SO WHY DO WE (AFRICAN-AMERICANS) SUPPORT HIM SO MUCH? ALL WE ARE TO THE WHITE HOUSE IS STATISTICS. THEY TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR, THEN YOUR VOICE IS NEVER HEARD AGAIN FOR 4 YEARS!

Cedric Denson

6. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    I don't know any that support him...

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I'm not a racist, but until I see some REAL Black Leaders running for office, I do not have a reason to vote. I do not want to vote for the someone who is going to do the same thing the last President did. Watch, when Kerry wins the election, in less than 4 years, everyone is going to start talking about how he is a lousy President, then they are going to want him out of the office! Makes me sick. When are we going to have leaders who are committed to making a difference? Instead of leaders who are going to take after one another? Where are the leaders who care more about fighting the War on Poverty INSIDE the U.S. than outside the country? What will you rather do first if you wanted to call this 'your country': Get homless Americans off the streets, or give everything to the Middle East? I don't think people take representing this country too seriously.

Cedric Denson