Science and Technology : Burkina Faso students invent a soap that deters malaria mosquitos

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Alarm Clock, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    [​IMG]
    Moctar Dembele and Gerard Niyondiko, from Burkina Faso, won $25,000 in the 2013 Global Social Venture Competition for their mosquito-repellent soap Faso Soap

.... Faso Soap, is nifty on several levels. As Dembele and Niyondiko point out, everyone in Africa — even the poorest of poor — uses soap. So, unlike other mosquito repellents such as sprays, lotions and tablets, the product does not require a change in behaviour from consumers. Wash yourself, your kids and clothing using the new soap and voilà, you’re protected against malaria. And, in addition to protecting bathers, the soap produces larvicidal wastewater that helps prevent mosquito larvae breeding in drains and sewers.
    Then there is the fact that Faso Soap is made from abundantly available locally sourced plants and natural ingredients, including lemon grass, shea tree and African marigold, which means it is inexpensive to make.
    http://www.bdlive.co.za/life/gadgets/2013/07/31/an-african-soap-that-might-wash-malaria-away

2. butterfly#1

butterfly#1 going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,204
    Brother, this is exciting news. Congratulations to these 2 young men in Africa on their product which may help stamp out this ugly,deadly disease there and around the world.

Thanks for sharing. I have a big :) on my face. Such encouraging news. There's great hope still.

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I was looking at NOVA last night. There was a program about a plant that cures malaria. A good soul started a farming industry where individual African farmers grow the plant all of which (unfortunately) is bought by one company, Africa Botanicals. I wished I could in some way support that brutha. Made me proud. Like the young bruthas in the OP. :)