Black People : Building Up or Tearing Down

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, May 5, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

I was just browsing the Religion and Spirituality Forum, and couldn't help but notice how one's "religion" is often used to tear down another's "religion."

I thought ... surely they must recognize that whatever their "religion" is ... they make it (and themselves) look bad, by tearing down another. Oftentimes defeating their own purpose of drawing folk to them, building up.

Then i thunk ... this happens everywhere.

There are several references to White folk here, like ... honkey, *******, whitey, etc. ... tearing them down, while building us up?

Can both take place simultaneously?

We also have many that find it easy to tear down a Sister or Brother, and out of that same mouth, comes words like i love my people.

Can we build with one hand, and tear down with the other?

Does the tearing down, cancel out or diminish, the building up?

:heart:

Destee

2. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Destee

Peace

Sometimes the only way you can build something of worth is to first tear down the old institutions and beliefs that have hindered us.

But I think it's masculine instinct to a certain extent to "challenge" eachother on religion, politicl beliefs...whatever.

It's a way of flexing and showing off.

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    as this question relates to white folks, IMHO, when someone has their foot on your neck on a daily basis, you can do one or two different things. you can get use to that foot on your neck and live life the best way you can or you can try to knock the cat with the foot on your neck on their back. i'm still under the belief that it is impossible for a black person to be racist when it concerns white people. our so called racist views are nothing more then a defense mechanism.

one love
    khasm

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    that's what little boys do.
    men don't need to do that.

the sister has a point.
    i have always marveled at the ability some have to fight among their selves over nothing.
    we really do need to build up in a positive manner.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Oh, Lil Mama, there you go making a brother THINK again... (smile!)

However...I did dig what Ralfa'il said about destroying the old to bring in the new... Makes perfect sense...

But, Destee, are you asking a question of a different order here??? I remember that back in the day, I was faced with this question as a member of the NOI... I saw cats get spanked(physically) for violations of the rules - and sometimes when they'd violated no rules at all... Just ghetto thugs exercising some flex for the first time in their lives... Needless to say, it disgusted me to know we were kicking more Black *** than White ***, and doing precisely what you mentioned - tearing down while claiming to build up...

We know in our viscera, our gut, which of these is applicable to our actions, but not enough of us apply that aspect of ourselves(unconscious mind/Intuition)in our interactions with one another... Maybe your posing this question will give more of us pause to RESPECT(RE= again/SPECTOS=to look) ourselves and our brethren, and not trespass against their legitimate beliefs and perspectives???

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Speaking as a human being by human natural no one wants to be wrong about anything but the problem is everyone can't be right and be different. What the true reality is, is at some point everyone is right and wrong. Timing is the main factor. When we think we are right and come across someone else who thinks they are right and share information and it is different regarding the same subject this is where the problem comes in. Seeking and living the truth is progress. There can be no progress without conflict. This is a fact of life. Speaking a Christian the doctrine that I follow teaches me that there can be no salvation of ones being without going through Jesus Christ. This is what I believe. What I also believe is, I am not in control of other people. In other words I can share the word of God but it is only God who makes people believe. I also believe things happen in Gods time and not my time. As far as my religion the best thing that I can do is represent the Christian walk the best way I can. When a person looks at me and sees my actions they should see what it is to be the body of Christ by my example. This can be said of other everyone that represents their beliefs. Speaking as a black man in America I have found that we must build ourselves up before we can challenge anyone else. I believe if we build ourselves up we will find that the barriers and obstacles that we encounter are really not that difficult to negotiate. I believe we give things power that are really powerless. There is an olympic event called the steeple chase. The steeple chase is a race where runnners engage and negotiate various obstacles such as walls to climb and pools of water to leap over. In the steeple chase if the runner places all his concentration on the obstacles he will never win the race. In fact he may not finish the race. The key to running the steeple chase to negotiate the obtacles while staying focused on the goal. So let's apply this to our lives. As a people the "white man" is merely an obstacle. Of late we are our own obstacle by our non-productive habits and life styles. We must simply negotiate these obstacles but stay focused on the goal or we will never win the race.

Peace....

7. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Jimmy from Philly

Hold up!

Ain't you the same brutha that was bragging about your battle scars and was challenging me to swap war stories with you...Tall Tales from the Hood..yesterday in the other thread?

What was that all about....

8. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    In the 5% Islamic Mathematics, the number 8 corresponds to both Building AND Destroying.

It's the equivolent to the YIN-YANG of the Universe.

All things go through a reconstructive process.

Though I don't wholly agree with anything RALF says, I do agree that you can't build new buildings, if the old broken-down, condemned ones are still allowed to stand.

That's not progress, that's stagnation.

The same thing happens in the scientific world; scientists apply the laws of deductive reasoning to the various hypotheses to one universal conclusion.

However, I think that it is the method of Destruction that should be examined here, and not the act of destruction itself, which in all cases is an eventuality.

Whether its an architect building a skyscraper (as per the first example), or a scientists proving a theory (as per the second), both jobs are approached with an intellectual civility to and for all constituents involved.

This is the issue that should be scrutinized, both here in the Spiritual section, as well as life in general.

9. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    RALF, without turning this into another bantering session, please allow me to state that though I'm more than certain that James is capable of speaking for himself (I've seen him do it numerous times since my time here)......

Let me point out, in case you aren't aware, that this man is old enough to be a father to most of us on this site, and a grand-father to a few of us.

I don't know what/how your upbringing (whether childhood or Islamic--or both) has taught you in regards to your elders, but I would humbly suggest being a bit more respectful to him, even if you don't always agree with him.

Just my perspective though; feel free to take it or leave it.

PEACE

10. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Severly diminishing...

If a person is certain of their own beliefs they shouldn't feel a need to fiercely tear down another's. IMO this is a defensive posture which simply showcases their own insecurities and self-doubts.

Peace ~