Black Positive People : Bryshon Nellums

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by cherryblossom, Jul 19, 2012.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Bryshon Nellum makes courageous run to London

23-year-old recovers from gang shooting in 2008 to make Olympic 400m

By: Joe Battaglia, NBC OlympicsUPDATED: Jun 28, 11:41a ET
    EUGENE, Ore. – – Bryshon Nellum had the world at his feet.
    More accurately he had the world at his legs, which carried him to a record-setting track career at Long Beach Poly High School and to the cusp of collegiate stardom.
    But all was nearly lost in an instant of senseless violence in the early morning hours of Halloween in 2008. Nellum was walking home from a party on 29th Street and Vermont Avenue near the USC campus when a car pulled alongside him, a gang slogan was yelled out, and he was shot in the legs.
    The shotgun blast hit Nellum once in each thigh and in his right hamstring. At that moment he wasn’t thinking about saving his track career. He thought about saving his life.
    “I never really fell to the ground,” Nellum recalled. “I hopped up and down on one leg to get away and to get to safety.”
    Fast forward four years as Nellum summoned a sense of urgency as he came down the home straight of the men’s 400m at Hayward Field. This time, the 23 year old was racing away his past and toward fulfilling the lifelong goal that was nearly taken from him....
    ...According to the Los Angeles Times, in February of 2009 two L.A. gang members, Travon Reed and Horasio Kimbrough, were arrested and charged with attempted murder. The pre-trial hearings and court case dragged on for nearly three years, before each man was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison. Nellum said he went to court each day, not to testify, but seeking answers.
    “I didn’t know who did it so I wanted to see these guys, look them in the eye, and see why this happened,” Nellum said. “My main thing was why, why, why? I didn’t get any answers. After that, I put it all behind me. As long as they got what they deserved I was going to do what betters me and that’s running track.”
    In 2011, Nellum finished third at the Pac-10 Championship meet. This season, he won Pac-12s in 45.20. With his focus on the Trials, Nellum did not run well at the NCAA Championship meet, finishing fifth in his heat of the 400m and failing to advance to the final, which was won by McQuay. But a match-up with the 2011 U.S. champion from Florida in the 4x400m relay reinvigorated Nellum’s spirit....
    ....http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/blog=the-rundown/post/bryshon-nellum-makes-courageous-run-to-london.html