Brothers Opinions on Weaves, Etc.

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Destee, Jan 4, 2008.

?

I Prefer ...

1. weaved Sisters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. permed Sisters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. natural Sisters

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  4. bald Sisters

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. doesn't matter

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I've never heard a Brother say, that he prefers his woman (or women in general) to wear weaves.

I've heard some say that it doesn't really matter to them, but none that said they prefer that.

Most of the commentary i've heard from Brothers, regarding weaves, is that they don't like them.

I've included a few videos below, supporting that position.

black guys says hair weave is bad

Part1 of 3:UnBeweavable:Woman! What Did You Do To Your Hair?

Part2 of 3:UnBeweavable:Woman! What Did You Do To Your Hair?

Part3 of 3:UnBeweavable:Woman! What Did You Do To Your Hair?

Yall know me, i wanted to do our own poll, to see what the numbers would look like.

So Brothers, please vote in the poll above, and leave your comments below.

What are your preferences as it relates to a Sister and her hair?

The reason i'm asking this question, is because it's been suggested that women do this (wear weaves, straighten their hair, etc.) to look attractive for Brothers, but if Brothers don't like it ... what's really going on?

In one of the videos above, a Sister says that Brothers may deny it, but they really want the Sister that is closest to white, light, straight hair, etc., which may be what really motivates Sisters.

Brothers, let us know how you really feel. What's your position on this?

:heart:

Destee

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    brothers opinions...

the way i see it,the only difference between a weave and a wig is that the wig comes off at night,some weaves are comical but so are some wigs so it's up to the lady who wears it,how does she want to be percieved?

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I PREFER A NATURAL WOMAN...

jmho...

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    the weave is the work of the devil.....:whip:

5. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i prefer black women without weaves but i will not rule out a sister with one...

one love
    khasm

6. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Soooo, the complaint is sisters with processed/weaved hair... but a dark sister like long-haired natural sister like lauryn Hill is ostracized... as well as dark, short-haired, natural Grace Jones...

... BUT,

both Puerto Rican J-Lo and biracial Halle Berry are given props for having short and long hair that isn't kinky. I get the message here... LOUD and clear: MOST BM don't like dark skin and kinky hair, period, regardless the length. I'm glad my hubby doesn't FOOLISHLY conform to Eurocentric beauty ideals... and appreciates my quasi-nappy hair. These are the ONLY Brothers who should get love, *sniggle*.

7. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    My preference is natural texture and natural color...and also natural length, whatever that may be.

Non-white males have been trained, under the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) to prefer white or lighter skinned females and will pursue these females unless they have had a person or persons in their lives who has helped them to retrain themselves.

I cannot take full credit for retraining myself. With 9 older sisters, I was exposed to things such as listening to them cry when my mother put that hot comb through their hair AND SCALP. They were lined up for that treatment. At 5 or 6 I couldn't differentiate between which one of them was in trouble, this being their punishment, and which one of them were masochistic. Even though I didn't have the word masochistic in my vocabulary at the time I understood what I was looking at because some of my older sisters seem to prefer the treatment although they sreamed with pain when that hot comb touched their scalp.

Said that to say even at an early age I had a compensity for understanding what mistreatment was and how it is that something is incorrect about it.

There is a reason non-white people alter their hair color to look like white peoples in texture and/or in color, our eye color to look like theirs, our skin to look like theirs, the shape of our eyes to look like theirs (this is real big in what is called Japan where people are getting their eyes "rounded"), etc. the basic reason is that we've been trained that there is value either in what we think about ourselves and/or what we can get others to think about us.

I could be incorrect about that but I think I understand what I'm looking at.

8. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    A woman can wear her hair the way she wants too, I do not pay for it.

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Personally I hate hair weaves,but will not let that keep me from dating a sister.

The excuse always seems to be "I'm just doing what i want" but come on really,we all know what's up! If it rerally is just opinion why does the vast majority ofblack females alter their appearance to look european?/

IMHO a sister with a weave shows a level of mental weakness.

To straigten your hair IMHO is like the slow kids riding the short yellow bus,in a sense telling sisters they need help,like a toddler needs training wheels.

10. thaREDDizbak

thaREDDizbak Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    not all women who get weaves/perms/wigs, or other serivces for their hair, do it to \\\"look white\\\", or any other reason you may think.

a lot of women do it for the convenience. natural hair can be a lot to mantain for some people. sometimes its easier to wake up, brush a weave and leave, or to wrap your hair and throw a wig on. ive worn a wig before for convenience, my overly curly hair isnt always the easiest to deal with.

hair weaves and wigs also come in handy if a woman wants to change their hair style/color without jeopardizing their natural hair.

have you ever asked a woman why she gets a weave, wig, or a perm for her hair?