Black History Culture : BROTHERS DUSTY ELBOW AND I-KHAN...

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    My beloved brothers, I do appreciate the historical pieced you are adding to this forum, but I have to tell you that this is a CULTURE FORUM, and I would that you would present CULTURAL pieces, of show us how what you are presenting relates to AFRICAN/AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE...

I, like you, love the history, but I don't want the history burying the dead, my brothers... By that I mean, CULTURE is something that is not studied much among our people, and the lack of participation by members at this board attests to that... Therefore, we must emphasize to the point of over-compensating for that lack of knowledge and wisdom and understanding... I am not saying you cannot post whatever you like in this forum, just asking that you think CULTURE with a special emphasis before posting the information here... Perhaps, there is a real NEED for a FORUM that concentrates on our history, and you brothers need to lobby DESTEE to get that done... I am sure she will be most accommodating.... Thank you, brothers...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hmmm Interesting

3. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    Elder Isaiah

Indeed it is,but the title's keyword is RECLAIMING.This forum is for honoring our ancestors.
    Much of the data I know I post are not only historic,but cultural as well.The historic aspect may be emphasized more but that reason being is because if we know our history in certain aspects than we can claim certain aspects of cultures, that we may have seen as completely alien, as our own invention.

It is not necessarily burying the cultural aspect of our people.For a full comprehension of a culture one must participate in it as well as study it.Also,certain things that are apart of a peoples culture may be seen by others on the board as something that is better off in the "spirituality and religion" board.Either way,it is the contribution that matters nontheless.

The historical posts by myself are more than just a history lesson,of course a peoples history is shaped by their culture amongst other things,if a people do not know their history than that gives their culture no uniqueness or flavor to it,as well as no future.I have found various aspects and data pertaining to culture,but what is important is knowing what led up to that culture in the first place to get a better overstanding of it.

4. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    The historical posts by myself are more than just a history lesson,of course a peoples history is shaped by their culture amongst other things,if a people do not know their history than that gives their culture no uniqueness or flavor to it,as well as no future.I have found various aspects and data pertaining to culture,but what is important is knowing what led up to that culture in the first place to get a better overstanding of it.[/QUOTE]

Well, brother, I would beg to differ with you on the quote up above, because African Americans have made culture in the United States for as long as we've lived here, and for a very large swath of that time we knew very little of our history...

I wont argue your points, my brother... I will only say that I lobbied for this forum for the reason that I want African Americans to appreciatie who we are in the here and the now, not so much on the historical tip... One thing I understand having observed my people is that if you go back to far on them, you lose 'em... If you get Too intellectual on 'em you lose 'em to, quiet as that is kept... This forum is to inform us who we are in this space and in THIS TIME, and if that can be done from a historical perspective that emphasizes CULTURE, I'm with it... If not, then I would that you would out of respect to myself, and the board, post the historical stuff in the Open, Pan-African, or Honoring the Ancestors threads... It is more appropriate there...

Again, if you want to post historical articles, please show how that relates to the HEADING of this forum...

Peace!
    isaiah

5. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Honoring means acknowledging whether past or present. Ancestor means life before you the present. Past is history. History of our people have struggle. Struggle quite different than today but nevertheless they made decision.

Then "Honoring the Living" should be the name of this forum. If its that then I am out of this forum because it will become like the "Open forum"

Fool Mode....

Want to know how history projects culture. Today many of us dont think nothing of it when there is a black woman serving in the Department of State. She is getting criticism from all directions. However if we go back 70+ years we see many black women in more limited occupations such as housewife, housekeeper, maid, etc.

Just out of my head so it could be depicted differently.

That is when race movies were very popular. Race movies demonstrated moral approach to pitfalls of black-white life in the United States at that time. I saw one episode in which a "southerner" moved up north and she was attended by a cabdriver black "seen it all" man who drove her to a house who was inhabited by a notorious "hoochie mama" as a cheap place to stay mentioned in a letter from a relative or friend. The black taxi driver tried to talk her out of going to the "hoochie mama" place. He knew the "real deal". However she was determined to see what was there. When they arrived at the residency he said if you have any thoughts of he help is still there. She knocked on the door of the house and the "hoochie mama" came out and said so and so isnt here, but the "hoochie mama" said she was welcome to come in and stay and wait for so and so. She has some food inside. The "southern" lady was hesitant and looked back at the black cab driver. She kind of had a sense of the situation and decided to go back to the black cabdriver and he led her to another place of help.

WE DONT HAVE THIS TYPE OF THINKING OR WAY OF LIFE ANYMORE AS BEING GREATLY DISCUSSED AND CHERISHED. IT HAS BECOME TO "CORNY" OR OUR MOTHER AND FATHERS AND THEIR PEERS THOUGHT IT WAS "USELESS" AND "ABANDON" IT.

I wanted to learn it and this place was a good start.

Now you compare it to the history that you learn in this forum and you t begins to build a greater outlook on what our people endured confronted in the past and present. Both inside the community and outside with the greater society.

They had another race movie showing a black woman working as secretary for a black man in the Department of State or some other department dont remember during the Great Depression. That was a remarkable inspiration for
    black women especially those black women from the south where you know life was very LIMITED at the time.

RACE MOVIES MADE BY OUR PEOPLE TO PROJECT OUR COLLECTIVE WISHES TO LIVE IN OUR OWN IDEAL WAY OF LIFE.

WE DONT CONSIDER THAT BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE TOO WANT TO STUDY THE HISTORY AND OF COURSE CONSIDER LIFE IN SOMEONE ELSES SHOES.

Finished.......

Brother Isaiah please reconsider not for your sakes but for the imagination of those who do not think in the same way and let it fall where it may. Don't put limits on this forum. If you worry about out people not getting it they will give them time.

Our ancestor said it best,

You cant teach anybody anything you can only draw it out.

6. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Brother Isaiah correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think brother Isaiah was talking about this forum per se, but the Reclaiming or Stolen culture forum.

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Sister Purple, you're absolutely RIGHT, and I owe both of these guys an apology!!! I posted this in the WRONG FORUM!!!!LOL! YIKES!

Sister Purple, can you or one of the other MODERATORS MOVE this over to the CULTURE FORUM???? I would appreciate a correction on the embarrassment I've caused myself(SMILE !)

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    No Problem Brother.:couple:

9. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    This is very interesting Hmmmm

10. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Isaiah,

Questions:

Is being a pioneer and not be recognized as a founder not stolen culture?

Our enslaved ancestor must have learned some life saving and outdoor techniques from somewhere. Was it from the "ruthless" white man? Culture had to teach this somewhere.

Is not a place of refuge for our enslaved ancestors being stolen by corrupt city state and federal officials not culture?

Having a place to rest and think about other things than being brutalized is the formation of a new culture of being left alone and safe. Knowing that your people were doing what we see in America today, build families, build businesses, build political aspirations, etc? Is that not from a culture. But it was all taken away and hidden by "ruthless" and "ignorant" people.

Is only music and art the only expression of culture?

Just some things on my mind. Like I said before if our people today do not get it, they will with time. If they are not willing to learn and discover this in the first place this information will be of no use.