Black People : brothers dieing out,,,,,,,,,

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Nov 10, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    "the African American community, has the largest recorded shortage of men of any ethnic subgroup in the world"

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...F&chanID=sa006

Scientific American: Fewer Men, More Crime - How a falling sex ratio can undermine a community
    November 2005, BY THE NUMBERS

this article changed my perspective on some things.
    i think brothers beating up on other brothers is definitely counter revolutionary.
    we are on our way out!
    only real love between brothers can reverse this trend.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think highlights of the article needs to be posted

I agree that more love between us is needed; however, all these statistics/trends also highlight the need for us to stay within the community (to solve our issues).

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    There are so many factors that play into the truth of this article.

We are the only people who seek to integrate with others, but no one integrates with us. IF we can understand that we will make it.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    By the Numbers
    November 2005 issue

Fewer Men, More Crime
    How a falling sex ratio can undermine a community
    By Rodger Doyle

Researchers have long recognized that a large surplus of young men can lead to social disorder, as happened on the frontier in 19th-century America. A counter theory, however, holds that a shortage of men can also be disruptive.
    The theory comes from the late Marcia Guttentag of Harvard University and Paul Secord of the University of Houston. They explored the dynamics of marriage and partnership among the African-American community, which has the largest recorded shortage of men of any ethnic subgroup in the world. On purely demographic grounds, they concluded that a low sex ratio--the number of males per 100 females--may make men reluctant to marry or invest in children, particularly if their incomes were inadequate. If they did marry, they were at high risk for divorce or separation. Among the black population, many men could not find work--good-paying factory jobs in Northern cities began disappearing in the 1960s--and some turned to crime. These factors help to destabilize conventional family structure and result in births to unwed mothers, many of them teenagers, who tend to have limited skills in raising children. Their sons tend to be more crime-prone than sons of two-parent families....

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Very true brother Manasiac!

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I think that this article brings to light a contradiction within the "Black" community.

If Black men are criticized for integrating into other communities do any of the critics know the mortality figures for Black men in these integrated communities which tend to have less crime which means lower homicide rates.

We criticize Black men for "integration" yet look closely at the factors which influence this integration. Principly, high rates of crime, particularly murder, gang violence, car-jacking, not to even mention the numerous health problems and higher poverty rates. Auto and health insurance rates are also higher in "Black" communities.

7. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Good point, though there are number of black communities that don't have that. :)]

As far as auto insurance... I think some of that is racism, because high insurance is the case with black areas with little crime.

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I know that there are a number of black communities that "don't have that" and I am sure they are economically more affluent.

By the way, can you share with me exactly what/where those communities are. I may be interested in purchasing another home in a predominately black neighborhood which is safe and affordable.

9. soulsearcher

soulsearcher Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    The D.C. metropolitan area (especially Maryland, Virginia, D.C.) would fit this description.

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I think you need to be specific about what communities in this metropolitan area you are speaking of.

D.C. itself has areas with high crime. I know this from traveling to D.C. and from relatives who moved from D.C. and Baltimore.

In fact, I recently was involved in a long-distance relationship with a sister living in B-more who constantly complained about the crime and how messed up the brothers are.