Black People : Brothers and Sister the war is still on

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MANASIAC, Oct 26, 2007.

1. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
  2. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +162
    How many of us send our children out into the world of un-just, and expect them to come back black? or to choose anything in the favor of black?
    I seen this video before and each time I see it, it floors me.

3. Jaisolovely

Jaisolovely Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Man... I have dial up lol
    So what is the video about?

4. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    brothers and sisters...

it looks to me like those kids were told which doll to pick and if that's the case then somebody is trying to stir up something,my daughters played with both black and white dolls as children but they picked and it was no big deal because children should be children.

5. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    how are you protecting your youth?

Personally, I have never been a doll/barbie/action man supporter.. in my house, the closest "toy" that personified a human would be found in a lego box.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    There you go, sista zul!

We will only have the child 18 years. Then what will they do if they have been shielded from reality all those years? We have to teach them and equip them.

Both my sister and one of my little cousins went through a period where they came home from school one day and declared they did not want to be Black Well my mother is not the type to wring her hands (she maybe wring your neck) in frustration wondering what to do. We taught these children to love themselves and to appreciate our African heritage. The world outside our home did not change one bit but the hearts and minds of my sister and cousin changed. Now my sister has a ten year old daughter of her own and is embarking on teaching her about slavery and Africa. "Mommy, why would they do that to us?" We must have an answer.

7. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Sister river :heart: reality is harsh - for everyone - as it's all quite relative to what you know - the shattering of dreams and expectations. This is why I dont support the doll culture, black or white. I dont support action figures as the evil guy is always blatantly sinister and/or black.. when we all know, it's the innocent looking/white collar guy in a suit that does the most lasting damage.

This doll culture? thats teaching our children lies. that is shielding them from reality. teaching them that nuturing babies is a mothers job - and conquering worlds is a man's. We dont need to TEACH that dividing line - enforcing it as a rule - we get back to our senses, and understand it's nature/nuture - we will do better without filling their heads with sterotypes of this kind. Kids should play at being kids - not imitating adults - We thwart their imaginations with these types of toys. I objected to them for no racial reason - just child development reasons.

We understand the value and reward when seeing our Black Warriors holding their babies/children - but heaven forbid we see a Black boy child holding a doll. eh?

8. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    very interesting about your sisters daughter learning/asking about slavery. I'm of two minds about that - the one thinking the child should not be burdened at such a young age - the other - what's too young to know truth? the child can grow with a chip on the shoulder, or grow more determined to succeed. Very admirable of your sister.

This kids in this video? media, media, media. If a parent cant turn off the TV, ensure programmes are of parental choice. as you said - we have the kids for 18 years - although they say by the time a child is 9, your parental influence has left its deep rooted mark that will not be changed. The video is sad indeed.