Black Men : Brother 2 brutha /Man 2 MAN

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by $$RICH$$, May 19, 2012.

1. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    The issue of the "Crisis of The Black Male" is truly one that is tearing at my heart, and provoking my aggression to cause a change, "by any means necessary." I recently read an article that quite frankly expressed that we have lost a generation of black boys. It further expressed that the adverse effects of factors such as negative media, gangs, drugs, poor education, unemployment, father absence, crime, violence and death have snatched the unlimited potential that our young black males have inside them. Strikingly, statistics show that young black men are graduating from high school at all time lows, which testifies that the dropout is high. Which further connects to the low percentage of black males who attend and complete higher education. At a deeper glance, it is these statistics that gives strong explanation to the causes of the filtration system into U.S. penitentiaries of our black males, which is now well over a million in population. As a young black man and a father of a son, this reality is heartbreaking and scary to say the least. It is clear that as a whole we have to get aggressive about ensuring that we do not lose any more generations of black boys.

As we now take a look into ourselves, and look into the eyes of our black boys to effectively set them on the path to success let’s look at strengthening "Self Image". It is first crucial that we strengthen not only the self-image of our black boys but also our own self-image. In self-image, I am simply talking about our self-conception or how we see ourselves. It is the emotional and mental view that one has of his or herself. As fathers, mothers, teachers and mentors for these black boys we should have the confidence in our own ability to reach our highest potential. It is just as important for us to express to our young men our goals and aspirations and allow them to experience and be exposed to our journey to reach greatness or our "pursuit of happiness." The first stage of life for our young black males is extremely educational, through what is seen and heard. Think about it, if you are a dominant figure in a young brother’s life and what he receives from you is mainly complaints about your life, job, relationships and your should have, could have, and would haves, then the chances that he will connect his self-image to the possibility of success is lowered. Believe me, I know that there are many obstacles that confront us in life and many more come when you are walking in purpose in pursuit of your passion. But complaining and making excuses only perpetuates a cycle of low self-images in those who look to us for guidance.
    The only way we gonna come together it's by recognize the common enemy! When you and I come together it's because we began to realize that we have a common enemy then we gonna have the same goals the same objectif fighting the same corrupted system, we will see we not each others enemy but brothers and sisters .

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Let us not love with words or speech but with action and in truth. Too often we take the easy route out , Change is in order for the people as a people to embetterment the people !

3. Enejoh

Enejoh Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +130
    Let us not love with words or speech but with action and in truth. Too often we take the easy route out , Change is in order for the people as a people to embetterment the people !
    Black is Back.

4. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

I can understand your deep concern. Even though the problem here in Barbados is not as desperate at it is in America...one black man in jail is still too much. I believe that the home must become basis of our society. Blacks who have achieved and have made money, MUST be willing to give something back. Too many blacks not only in USA but also here in Barbados believe that all that they need to do is have a house, two cars in the garage..and their children eating and drinking the best. I am not saying that people should not look out for themselves, nor enjoy the fruits of their labour....but remember, that everyone is not so fortunate. These are short term goals , we must remember the old African proverb, IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD.

Another issue that needs addressing is the high births of young black teenagers. This is a problem that we are grappling with here too. When a child becomes pregnant at an early age, and then continues to keep getting children for different fathers, it makes life difficult for her. Parents must instil in their boys what it is to be responsible. When girls become pregnant too early, they drop out of school and most of the time they have no marketable skills, having to depend on welfare. Our people can do better than that.

One of our counsellors at one of our schools discussed the problem of teenage pregnancy with some high school students a few years ago. She said that she is not being naive, because she realise that many of them are sexually active and they should use some form of protection. (I am not for school children engaging in this kind of behaviour...just my personal opinion) The girls blurted out, Mam, when you use something you don't FEEL anything.:(

When I look back at history and see the achievements of Booker T. Washington who taught himself to read after coming out of slavery...I realise that those of us today should be ashamed. We must quit blaming other people, take the bull by the horns and do whatever is necessary. I often wonder why are there not any black private schools in the USA. I am sure there are capable men and women who can do justice to this. Black students need black teachers to teachers to teach them (This is one of the blessings we have here in Barbados.. 90% of our population is black...but there is still room for improvement. We as black people must have a love for ALL our people not only those who have already achieved. The thing is with the situation in USA the blacks are in a minority, and this is something that will always be against black folks. White folks do not have the vision for our children as we have. I visited our local prison with my church on two occasions and it grieved me to see such young men in jail. We must do all we can to reclaim our men and it must start NOW...tomorrow may be too late.