Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Brothas Dating Natural Sista's

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Lucky, May 19, 2004.

1. Lucky

Lucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Sup everybody
    I'm a newbie on this site and I had a question.

I wanted to know how brothas felt about dating sistas with natural hair (afro's, locs, twist etc). Some females I've talked to and know personally think mostly if not all brothas dislike sistas with natural hair and prefer the "premed" look (straight hair) females to them. They also say they receive more attention from white guys more then black guys. I wonder why?

Me personally, I admirer the "Afro centric" look in our women of color and see nothing wrong with how there hair looks. I think its sexier and different. Many brothas in my area have natural hairstyles but tend to be with straight hair sistas.I have locs and it's like a rare site to see a female around my age (i'm 19) with natural hair where I live.

Maybe its just me

Lucky

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree. I love locs, twists and any natural hair on a sista. The problem is most sistas that I see perm the mess out of their hair. I think sistas do get more attention because their hair is straight because that's what's in. I myself love natural women more than permed because it's just better to be natural. Lose the make-up too sistas........you don't need it. :shades:

3. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    The natural look is just fine with me!! I love locks and twists. Some definitely look cute with a little fro or a blow-out type look. I have not prob with the permed look either.

As for your comment.....white people seem to love ethnic black hair styles. This is especially true of dreadlocks. A black person, male or female, that has locs will magnetize white people of the opposite sex very easily. I have seen this in action.

4. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have noticed this too MrBlak. I guess because it is so different than what they are accustomed to.

5. Joyce

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    I too have noticed that brothas with Locks are not usually with sistas who have the same, but that could be because there are more sisters who are permed than those who are not. You know we be looking good either way chile...you know it. I am a natural sistah and my hubby loves it...thank God.

6. Joyce

people
    Ratings:
    +56

I hear ya bro. but every now and then I have to break down wit the make up. :D Forgive me.

7. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i agree with you kente...i prefer the natural look to the western-look all day long...i especially love women with afro's because it is a statement against the visual images this country defines as being beautiful...any woman who is not afraid to let her natural hair grow without perming it, is ok with me...makeup is cool, just as long as it is not caked on like a actress in a stage play...the look of black people in the 70's is ideal to me...
    one love
    khasm

8. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well I have tried to date the Natrual Sister and she never is really into me because I do not have dreads or I am not an arm-chair revolutionary. So I tend to stick with my sisters who got perms, they seem to never have problems with me or what I wear or how I look.

Just an Opinion.

9. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I remember a time not long ago, when you wore locks, then called Dredlocks, that white people were threatened by us wearing our hair that way.

My how things have changed

10. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I wear my hair permed and that's my personal choice. The decision for a sistah to wear her hair natural is her personal choice.

To sum it all, it does not make me less black because of my hair choice.

And I could care less about how a black man feels about my hair. And I do wear lipstick. MY choice!

This is one pet peeve I have with black people. Does it make me a lesser black person because I perm my hair? And I see white people wearing braids and dreads...if they want to do it, more power to them.

I refuse to wear dreads and I get so **** tired of black people telling me that I would look good in dreads. No black man (or woman) better get in my face and tell me what to do with my hair.

I see black women with natural styles and that's fine. I have no problem with how the next sister wears her hair, just keep it well groomed.

We have to stop this! We need to stick with what we like and stop making it "gospel" for others.

I don't care what white people like in reference to my hair. I'm going to do it MY way.