Black People : Brotha to Brotha

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Khai Tau, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Khai Tau

Khai Tau Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  2. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    My brotha, thank you for your candor. Yep, I have run into this many times myself. It is just a general attitude among "Black" men. It is like a brotha has to prove his masculinity by showing another brotha how hard he is. And you show that hardness by showing how ready you are to do damage to that brotha. It is a weird, backwards way of relating to one another. And I really can't explain it. My experience was when I was trying to board the bus one time. This brotha was getting to fight me over his spot in the line.

?????

And it isn't the same when it comes to other groups. I don't know if it is directly related to "White" supremacy. But somehow, we have to got to bury this definition of masculinity and embrace a better definition.

I have posted a link to your video at some other "Black" forums. I hope you don't mind.

3. Khai Tau

Ratings:
    +5
    Its really disturbing ya kno. I feel ya on everything on you said. And I think actually your post helped clarify it a bit more for me. You see you said brothas be trying to prove his masculinty. Now we as black men throughtout history have been stripped of our abilty to provide the things that a man is suppose to provide for his nation, his woman, and his children.

Now wether this stripping was due to our own negligence or forces against us, we cant deny we were stripped. And so to be masculine is to be manly in a sense. And we havent been able to be men for so long to our nation(true community), women, and children. Even more disturbing is that today, it isnt so much of us being forced to be less than men, but we are alot of times, running away and refusing that role. Im just calling it how I see it.

So I think maybe it is a psychological issue within our subconscious
    that we try to at least show the world and each other that we are men. That our masculinity is valid and real, even after so many ages of being forced to be unable to provide in the nature that a man does, and also these days when we run away from being men...we still cant allow anyone to call us anything other then men. One of the most peircing insults is to be called a boy, especially by women. So we front. Even if we aint necessarily men...we gonna show our masculinity and be seen as men. Or a least attempt to.

And of course, Im not trying to generalize, But I think this could be at least a point of substance on this issue.

4. DUTCHESS

DUTCHESS Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    GREETINGS and CONGRADULATIONS!

Change you greeting from..."How's it going brotha?"... to... stay strong brotha, hotep, greetings, peace, we have to get these politrickins out of office, etc. I recall Dr. Ray Hagins speaking on this subject. Do you think this brotha would have responded differently had you greeted him differently? What if he was honestly responding to your greeting/question?

5. Khai Tau

Ratings:
    +5
    You know what, I never considered that. You just might be right. Amazing.

6. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    brotha to brotha...

yes,while alot of our attitude towards each other is self hatred and things of that nature the other fact is that some folks are just plain-MEAN they're born mean and they're gonna die mean,it's just the way it is.