Black Positive People : brooklyn-women-barter-goods-and-services

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by jamesfrmphilly, Nov 6, 2016.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +14,446
    http://www.essence.com/2014/09/11/brooklyn-women-barter-goods-and-services-ease-hard-economy

Brooklyn Women Barter Goods and Services to Ease Hard Economy

A Brooklyn organization for women and by women is championing economic empowerment.
    essence.com

BWB, a Brooklyn-based organization, uses "solidarity economy" principles, wherein in-need members barter and exchange goods and services, from child care to carpooling. "The core of our system is, 'Your struggle is my struggle,'" says Tanis, 42.

2. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +865
    Exactly what is needed. We may not have money, all the time. We may need something done, with no monetary means of paying for it; this gives us a means of getting things done...and paying for it through services. The black community, in the south, used to do this all the time; that's the only way we could get things done. The community took care of each other. I grew up on a farm--along with various crops, we had chickens, hogs, a few cows, etc. When it came to the harvest, families came together...and we shared the wealth--sugar cane, sweet potatoes, water melons, greens, etc. When we slaughters hogs, families came together...and we shared the food. There wasn't much we ever needed to go to the grocery store for...and we ate good; as did those around us--The village taking care of the village thing.

I commend them for their efforts.