Black Money Business Jobs : Bro Full Speed

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by LindaChavis, Dec 14, 2009.

1. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    How are you? I was thinking about the thread in which you talked about hiring some folks to replace a furnace I think..how did that turn out?

2. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I am great, thanks for asking.

It was actually a HVAC, specifically a heat pump. I will give the good and bad. The quality of work was great. It could not have been done better. It did take significantly longer than I was told and did hinder other aspects of the construction project. I was told that the full installation of the upstairs and downstairs units would take about a week. I planned for two weeks. It took a month and a half.

During the delay, there were periods where I would call the guy to tell him he is holding up drywall. He would not answer the phone, nor would he return my call. I had given him an initial payment of over $5K, so this scared me and made me question my choice. I had gotten three bids and he was the only one to request any payment upfront.

Long story short, after a month and a half of delays, excuses, and gaps in communication, he and his folks finished the project. The workmanship is outstanding, the equipment is top notch, all is well. I would hesitate to recommend him to others because of the delay and his failure to communicate. Time is money and when someone fails to communicate it makes matters far worse.

3. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Well

..this is good to hear in spite of the delays you are happy with the outcome. I worry about our black businesses and how they cant seem to handle the business side when they do good work as that is why they fail all too often. Thanks for getting back to me as well..!

4. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    UPDATE:

About a month after moving in, I began having problems with my upstairs unit. I called him to come out. He said he would be out that same day. He did not show up. I figured he got busy and would be out the following day so I didn't bother calling him back to bug him. Three days later he still had not come nor had he called me to let me know anything so I called him back. Long story short, I finally got him out after about four calls (Calls that he actually answered...I called him about a dozen times that he did not answer)

He put freon in the unit, told me it was leaking and that he had to order a replacement part. (He had originally told me that the entire unit would be replaced if it broke within the first two years) He ordered the part, two weeks later I called him, he said it had not come in yet but would come out and put some more freon in. That took a week and a half and about 4 phone calls but he did actually come. I thought in that time perhaps the part would have come in...he said it had not. Another two weeks past and the unit was starting to need freon again so I called and asked him if the part had come in, he said it had not so I asked if he could come out and add more freon because it wasn't working, it was hot as hades, and my family couldn't even sleep at night upstairs because it was so hot. We had to camp out downstairs.

It took another week and threats of a lawsuit to get him out. Then he had the nerve to complain about me calling him so much. I went off on him where previously I had been very patient...demanding but patient and understanding. He came out that day, added freon and told me that the part had not come in yet. I decided that I needed to check to find out if he had actually ordered the part or what was taking so long. I looked up the manufacture of the unit online and called them. I gave them the serial number of the unit and they told me the distrubutor it was sold through and how to find out. I contacted the distrubutor who told me that the part had been ordered but he could not pick it up until the guy pay some fee that he had not paid. I ended up going to the distrubutor and paying the fee myself and picking up the part myself. He came installed the new part. Two weeks later, I was having the same problem.

I called him several more times to get him back out. I decided this guy is going to make me do something I would live to regret so I checked with the manufacture to ask if another dealer fix my unit under warranty. They said they could get the parts, but they would charge for a service call to do the repair. So, I called out another company (White). I felt bad having to explain the hoops this brother had sent me through. I felt it was an indictment of Black business men.

They came out the same day. They thought he had misdignosed the problem from the beginning thinking that there was never a leak. They removed the filter from the return air line upstairs and it started working fine. They said he had installed a return air line that was too small for the unit and that removing the filter allowed more air to flow through to allow the unit to function properly. They suggested that I try to get him to replace the return air line but offered that I couldn't get him to do it that they would for a price. They said he should replace it at his cost because it was his installation.

I contacted him and told him what had occured. He swore up and down that that was the correct size return for that unit and my house size. I said, well why does the filter have to be out for it to work properly and you know I can't leave that filter out or an extended period of time" He said go get a thinner filter...one of those cheap 30 day filters and change it every thirty days. I have been doing that for a couple of months now and it works but I don't think the unit is working as efficiently as it should...but it is hard to know for sure but it doesn't get as cool as I think it should but we have been having some extremely hot days. My electric bill is running higher than I think it should but again, it is difficult to tell if this is natural because of the extreme heat or because the unit is having problems. I do think electricity is going up across the board.

All and all, I consider my choice to choose this guy was a serious mistake on my part.