Breasts: How healthy are they?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by NNQueen, Jun 5, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Breasts are beautiful are they not? Many men and women think they are sexy. Some prefer them large and others like them small.

Women's breasts are also functional as babies are nursed with them the first few months and even years of their lives. Some say that doing so is better for the baby than bottle feeding because a mother's natural milk strengthens her baby's immune system.

As a girl approaches puberty, her breasts begin to develop. Their rate of growth and size are often hereditary. But once they start to grow, they don't stop until they are fully developed.

Breasts come in all shapes and sizes. The media in the US leads one to believe that large, rock hard breasts are preferred over smaller and softer breasts. Size and weight of breasts vary. They can be pendulous and heavy, full and round or banana shaped. They can even be perky as they sit high and firm on a woman's chest. But regardless of size, shape or weight, they shouldn't be taken for granted.

Once you have them, women have to take care of her breasts to make sure they stay healthy. As women age and the frequency of breast cancer increases, mammograms and self-breast exams are strongly encouraged by the medical profession. However, studies have shown that Black women tend to examine their breasts or get mammograms less frequently than White women.

But now there is more reason for her to. Researchers investigating a gene they suspect helps spur breast cancer found an unusual racial disparity: The gene appears active more often in the tumours of black women than white women.

http://mediresource.sympatico.ca/health_news_detail.asp?channel_id=54&news_id=1152

Although the results of this study are too early to form solid opinions, sisters should take active measures to keep her breasts as healthy as possible. If you don't already, you should perform breast self-examinations frequently during the month, particularly around the time of your menses. Get your mammograms as often as your doctor suggests and don't wait too long if you feel or see any suspicious changes in the shape or feel of your breasts or nipples.

Stay healthy!

2. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Men Have Breasts

Men have breasts. People have often wondered why men have them because they don't appear to serve a function as women's breasts do. But the fact remains...men have breasts. And, like women, they can get breast cancer. Don't believe me? Read this:

"CHICAGO -- Breast cancer in men is usually detected when the tumors are bigger, have spread and may be more aggressive, compared to diagnosis of the disease in women, concludes the largest study ever conducted of male breast cancer. The findings, presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, suggest both that breast cancer in men may have some important biological differences from the female disease, and that men are seemingly less aware than they should be that they can develop breast cancer."

Men . . . take care of your breasts! Some women find them sexy too! Visit these links for more information:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030603082723.htm

http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/bcmen.asp

Stay healthy!

3. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    NNQueen,

This is a very, very important topic to discuss and inform others. Breast cancer, once detected in Black females, is more aggressive than in White females. This is even the case when the cancer is caught early. Yes, and men can get breast cancer. Remember, Richard Roundtree (Shaft) was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a couple of years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/spotlight/2001-09-18-roundtree-cancer.htm

I have had an aunt and several close friends die of Breast Cancer. I lost a sorority sister to Breast Cancer when she was only 29. Currently one of my best friends is going through another round of chemotherapy. Her breast cancer was in remission for five years and then lesions on her chest and vertebrae were detected three years ago. I too emphasize the importance for Black women to do their monthly self-breast exams and yearly physicals with a physician.

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Regina, I'm sorry to hear how frequently you've been touched by this terrible disease. I too, have lost family members to breast cancer.

Yes, we can't stress enough the importance of our sisters taking better care of themselves and getting those monthly/annual exams.

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    My mom taught me this when I was young; self examine, and be sure to check under one's armpits, as well. Cancerous lumps can be found there.