Black Women : Breastfeeding in the black community

karmashines said:
What are your attitudes towards breastfeeding? Have you or would you do it? And how long do you think it's appropriate to breastfeed a baby?

I feel every mother that can breastfeed should. Breastfeeding is one of the best things a mother can do for her child/children. I breastfed for the 1st 6mx of my son's life. I stopped once he began to grow teeth. I am so glad I was able to breastfeed, and if you think about why are we (humans) the only mothers who gives their child/children cows milk?

PoeticManifesta said:
Well how about a word from a younger generation,

I fully intend to attempt to breastfeed.. I dont have any qualms so far about doing it. But I will continue to pump my breast milk until my child is 2years old.. I may have to mix it with formula because im highly anemic and my iron levels are way below normal. But it is to my understanding that breastfeeding helps the child maintain a level of defense for the immune system of the child. Until it can develop its own antibodies.

Hey Sister PoeticManifesta....

I too was/is anemic, however by taking my iron pills I was still able to breastfeed. I also pumped because I was working at the time, however, when I returned home feeding time was quality time with my son, so when I was home I breastfed him every 2 hrs and only used the pumped milk while I was away working.

All my sistas who has made or plans on making the decision to breastfeed I applaud your decision. I breastfeed my daughter until she began teething. I was in the army at the time and pumped while at work. My little queen, who is now six, has been reading since four and a half years old. She has no problems with attention span, has developed only very few minor colds, and is very and close to me - she's my shadow! After pregnancy, my weight just melted off! Not to mention the very special unbreakable bond which was solidified during breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack time! That one on one contact time is the highest! It may seem hard at first but stick with it, it's well worth it!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back