Black Women : Breastfeeding in the black community

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by karmashines, Aug 8, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    What are your attitudes towards breastfeeding? Have you or would you do it? And how long do you think it's appropriate to breastfeed a baby?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    My wife breastfed/feeds both of our children. She breastfed our daughter for 1 1/2 years, and intends to breastfeed our son for almost as long. Being from an African/Spanish background, her attitude is that breastfeeding is natural. In both cultures not only is breastfeeding considered natural, it is openly done in public. Breastfeeding is undeniably better for babies, it helps them fight off disease better, and many doctors feel its affect last well into adulthood. For my daughter: while other friend's children her age were getting inner ear infections, colds, and other ailments....my daughter didn't get sick until she was 1 year old. In addition to these benefits breastfeeding usually increases the size of a woman's breast...which for my is just icing on the cake! LOL!

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think breastfeeding is the only option. It's better for the baby and like panafrica said, it keeps them healthier. If a woman has the time, she should definately breastfeed because that artificial formula is bad for them anyways. That's stuffs stunts their growth and studies have shown that breastfed babies also learn faster. Also, the bond that's created while breastfeeding helps the baby transition better from the womb to the world. It's much better that having a bottle between you two. All in all, there's just nothing better than natural.

I think breastfeeding should be encouraged more.:baby:

4. Lexy

Lexy Member MEMBER

Mother , Student, Admin assistant
    Ratings:
    +0
    Breastfeeding is the only way as far as l'm concerned. My daughter was breast and bottlefed and at 3 months she refused the breast. If I am blessed once more, l fully intend on breastfeeding, no bottle! Queen Afua and Llaila Afrika suggest that we should be breastfeeding up until 3 years old!

5. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Well how about a word from a younger generation,

I fully intend to attempt to breastfeed.. I dont have any qualms so far about doing it. But I will continue to pump my breast milk until my child is 2years old.. I may have to mix it with formula because im highly anemic and my iron levels are way below normal. But it is to my understanding that breastfeeding helps the child maintain a level of defense for the immune system of the child. Until it can develop its own antibodies.

6. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29

I feel every mother that can breastfeed should. Breastfeeding is one of the best things a mother can do for her child/children. I breastfed for the 1st 6mx of my son's life. I stopped once he began to grow teeth. I am so glad I was able to breastfeed, and if you think about why are we (humans) the only mothers who gives their child/children cows milk?

7. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29

Hey Sister PoeticManifesta....

I too was/is anemic, however by taking my iron pills I was still able to breastfeed. I also pumped because I was working at the time, however, when I returned home feeding time was quality time with my son, so when I was home I breastfed him every 2 hrs and only used the pumped milk while I was away working.

8. CREOLEQUEEN

CREOLEQUEEN Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    All my sistas who has made or plans on making the decision to breastfeed I applaud your decision. I breastfeed my daughter until she began teething. I was in the army at the time and pumped while at work. My little queen, who is now six, has been reading since four and a half years old. She has no problems with attention span, has developed only very few minor colds, and is very and close to me - she's my shadow! After pregnancy, my weight just melted off! Not to mention the very special unbreakable bond which was solidified during breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack time! That one on one contact time is the highest! It may seem hard at first but stick with it, it's well worth it!

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
  10. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234