Health and Wellness : Breast Cancer Deaths INCREASING for Black Women

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by NNQueen, Oct 7, 2016.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    "Oct. 3, 2016 -- Researchers have known for years that African-American women die of breast cancer at higher rates than white women. Now a new study finds that the rates vary from city to city and the disparity is getting worse, not better.

The study, which looked at breast cancer deaths between 2010 and 2014 in the 43 most populous U.S. cities, found that African-American women are 43% more likely to die from breast cancer than white women. That is an increase from 2009, when the difference in death rates was 39.7%.

“This disparity results in 3,854 excess deaths of black women every year. That is a shocking and alarming number,” says study researcher Marc S. Hurlbert, PhD, of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation in New York.

Need:

Expanded screening and higher quality of breast imaging
    Diagnosis
    Treatment programs to cover uninsured women--greater access to quality healthcare

Entire article -- PLEASE READ!

2. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Why Black Women Die From Cancer

I imagined that I could “cut cancer out of Harlem.” But I soon learned that the disease would not yield to a surgeon’s knife. Why? Because the patients were coming in too late. I examined many black women who were visiting the clinic for the first time and who already had incurable breast cancer, sometimes with ulcerated and bleeding breast masses........

Black women experience significant delays in diagnosis and treatment. According to the C.D.C., even when they have similar insurance coverage, 20 percent of black women with an abnormal mammogram wait more than 60 days for a diagnosis, compared with 12 percent of white women. And 31 percent of black women wait 30 days to begin treatment, compared with 18 percent of white women."...........

The good news is that studies show that black and white women who receive the same breast cancer treatment at the same stage of the disease are equally likely to survive. If we can eliminate barriers to early diagnosis and quality treatment in black women, we can close the racial mortality gap..............

At Harlem Hospital, we provided free breast cancer screening beginning in 1979. But screening alone was not enough. Patients — who not only often lacked health insurance, but also struggled with a limited education and distrust of doctors — needed help making their way through the medical system..............

----------------
    The main reason more Black women die from cancer is late detection. My sister in law went to the emergency room for stomach pains. Doing several test the Drs discovered colon cancer. How many Black women do you know that discovered they had Cancer after an emergency room visit? For me, to many.

Why Black Women Die of Cancer - The New York Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/14/opinion/why-black-women-die-of-cancer.html - - Cached - Similar pages