Black People : BREAKING DOWN GOD'S ESSENCE - WOOOO...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    One of the things that troubles me sometimes at Destees is, our propensity to try to explain things spiritual, to try to break down the essence of GOD, if you will... It brings me great sadness, or even makes me laugh uncontrollably, sometimes... I don't care how long a human being lives, or how many spiritual treatises he or she reads, I already understand that their capacity to explain GOD to me is limited... I'd rather get that from the horse's mouth, if you will...(smile!)

The major reason why I am saddened by this "behavior" on our parts is that it tells me that African people are still caught up in a lot of mysticism... It tells me that we have risen little further than our superstitious parents, who told me, for example, that i should not wash clothes on New Year's Day, because I would be 'washing out someone's life..." They told me in church that I must speak in tongues to receive their Holy Ghost, and then turned around and gossiped about how Sallie Mae was working roots on her husband... All along, they never seemed to understand that they were synthesizing the African with the New World stuff, while at the same time, condemning the African...

Nevertheless, it all has worn thin with me, because I see in it, only more confusion for a confused people... We are, as the Last Poets said nearly 40 years ago, "conquered and divided, tricked and undecided..." That is where my sadness comes in... It seems that we are, and will forever be, caught up in this mystical charlatanism, and what annoys me is that even our intellectuals justify it by saying that it is our tendency to "synthesize" religions... True, but is that a good thing??? Where in hell does it lead us??? What are we accomplishing as we break down all of this mystical stuff???

For once, I would like to see those who put so much emphasis on the Mystery Systems and Melanin, and little white balls, and big brown balls, explain in concrete terms, how this stuff is going to get African people over the hump??? CONCRETE TERMS, now... No more of that 'evidence of things unseen" trickery, o.k.??? For the record, I already know that other groups have their mystical dogma, too... But, it seems, it does not STOP them from doing what they've got to do... They aren't setting up little store-front churches and bembes on every corner like we are, here in the 21st Century... THEY are putting a downpayment on the next building using Black folks money from the rent on the store-front... When is the light bulb going to come on in our heads to do the same??? That is my question for the Melanin/Medu Netr/Hebrew Israelite/Christlam folks??? Hope no toes were stepped on...

Peace!
    isaiah

2. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hello Brother

You are asking a very serious question that deserves a worthy response. First if you don't mind let me move this thread into the spiritual forum. I'm only doing this because of the nature of the responses you will get is from a spiritual perspective. Though it has been done maybe we can readdress the question "what measures are we taking as individuals to uplift our people?" in the open forum.

Peace.....

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Say Brother I,

I really feel ya my man. I believe some of these people are so esoteric that they cannot even tie their shoes. These people in my opinion are hermits who sit inside of their worlds of conundrum, and concot theories and ideas of nothingness. These folk really ought to get out more, their spirtual and psychological babble only helps and satsifies themselves. I have never seen these cats doing anything proactive in the community I stay in; moreover, the only thing they seem to provide are sects of sexual escapism, but I aint gone go there.

At any rate I wonder if the folks who are so esoteric can explain why they cheat on their mates, or why they lie to others? When they can explain this they might be going somewhere.

Manasiac :uzi:

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Just one Q, i feel u on the millions of church fronts ect.

But i will ask, what do u have against melanin research? explain to me why black genetics seem to be dominate, physically and mentally. do you not belive the truth is important. Its plain to my eyes that black men/women are naturally dominant. I do not know these answers, in my own opinion however i do believe melanin research is good. I dont know the truth but do feel that back people are similar to an unsolved mystery.

U stated that other groups have dogmas but it does not stop them. I say these people are where they are because of murder, theft, rape, racism of black people, thoughts, ideas, lands, resources & SPIRITUAL BELIEFS-among theft of other peoples lands.

It is said that kemitians were one of the most peaceful nations to exist. in reading ancient egyptian text it simply says dont hate, and follow your spirit in so many words. Yes superstition is silly (and dangerous see- south afrikan child rape), but is truth? Is make money-take money getting us any where ??

:cardio:

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Spiritualism is like any other religious approach... it helps an individual better deal with the problems of life. It may even provide insight on what to do to solve these problems. But to coldly say it has no value or it should be abandoned because the blacks that are spiritualists haven't been able to resolve some of the negative issues of the black community or their personal lives is unfair. A belief system is what you make of it... you as the individual must still take action to get the ball rolling.

And as far as people engaging in philosophical discussions pondering the nature of God and spirituality, what is wrong with that? Don't members of orthodox religions ponder the nature of their faiths? And just because a dialogue doesn't directly relate to solving a particular problem in the black community doesn't mean it should be avoided. We are human beings, and it is human to want to get in touch with your spirituality, regardless of what your situation is. I for one welcome the deep spiritual viewpoints that have been offered on this forum... it has opened my mind and may possibly point me to a religious approach more structured than relying solely on my own inclinations: the belief system of Kemet.

Now, is it possible to go overboard with a spiritual-based belief system? Of course. In today's time we have the ability to understand how science plays a role in natural pheneomon. We don't have to attribute certain things to the working of a negative spirit, or even a positive spirit for that matter. So we don't have to perform whatever ritual to appease the gods because we know scientifically how certain events in nature happen. (Not that I disapprove of rituals so long as they don't hurt anyone).

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Brother Therious, how you feelin', man???

In answer to your question about Melanin Research, I offer an unequivocable YES, I think the research should be done, and African People should be at the forefront of that research... I think true scientific research advances us, as well as the world... That is not my issue...

My problem is with those who are NOT scientists, and who flippantly advancie UNPROVEN theories that ultimately pass into legend... Legend and mythology does not advance us as a people, it just keeps us building those store-front joints, and inviting others in for greater, stronger doses of ignorance...

Again, Therious, so that there is no confusion... I want these folks to CONCRETELY spell out how their theories advance us as a people... If we cannot do that, then we are engaging in the same old rabbit's foot/black cat bone/goofer dust nonsense of our ancestors... Sure, some will say that I am denigrating the African... I am not... I am examining my culture and my people to try to understand what is beneficial to us all.. Those things which are not, I am saying we need to put aside... At one time, we thought fatback sandwiches and flour gravy were beneficial to us, but scientific research has proven that it contributed mightily to high rates of diabetes in our communities...

So, if it is possible, those who earnestly believe in these theories, should be able to tell us all WHY... No more theories, just concrete proof of the majesty of what we believe, as opposed to throwing around more legend and myth... We do not need our babies opening up Melanin Temples of The Most High True God on every corner for the next 5 centuries, because some of us have PONTIFICATED to them, rather than PROVIED to them, the practical powers of Melanin...

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Good Morning, beautiful sister Karmashines!

I have no problems with "philosophical discussions pondering the nature of God and spirituality" if that is what folks want to do. My personal opinion is that there is no greater entity to have those discussions with than GOD, HERSELF, as I believe in my PERSONAL relationship with GOD over and above the preacher and the shaman and soothesayer's... No HUMAN BEING is vested with greater spiritual power than the next, and no human being has the SAME relationship with his parents as his brother or sister... Each is personal, and each is private...

The problem is not "philosophical discussions", which infer a healthy dialogue... The problem is with ponftifical preachers and evangelists advancing their mythology and unproven theories... I only want to challenge these folks to show and prove, and if by challenging them to show and prove, that upsets them, then the light bulb should go off inside our heads... If you SAY what you're saying is the TRUTH, then it should be self-evident... The tree is known by the fruit it bears... To this point, I am still looking for our Black Church to bear it's century of fruit, and not just here and there...

Yes, sister Karmashines, I have no interest in taking folk away from their philosophical discussions, but I would hope that those philosophical discussions advance us personally, so that we are not 20 years following the discussions, still walking around in the same confusion we were in 20 years hence... The saying goes that he who does not PROGRESS regresses... There is no in-between, there is no holding pattern... Either we are going forward, or dying a slow, excruciating death... You say, what is wrong with these philosophical discussions, and I say what is wrong with asking folks to show where these discussions are advancing us??? I hope there are no hard feelings behind challenging folk to look for some results from their fact-finding missions...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I still say no one can prove there is God ....you either believe or don't ...that's why it's called faith...proving the existence of a supernatural being is an impossiblity....all we have are words written by other men who don't any more about God then we do which we read and make a decision to believe or dis believe...and that holds true from the beginning of human existance....we'll find out the truth eventually but not before we leave here..and for anyone to say they know for a fact is a lie....and to me some of the stuff folks study in the first place in the name of gaining true knowledge..is useless information....want to study something study economic development, study how we can go from being a consumer sector of society to a producing sector....then we can start moving forward

Red

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    What can I say but that I agree, Red...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Well since for some reason I can't move these thread so I'll give my response to your question from my perspective. Let's see how is my Christian walk helping our people? Well unfortunately some our us were not blessed with common sense. Some of us do much harm to ourselves and other around us if we are left to our own devices. Useless you are a sociopath or a habitual criminal that can not function in society, everyone has a since of morality. Morality determines what we value as appropriate and inappropriate. This system of values is where we run into problems. All religions provide some sort of guidance for living life. As a Christian the Church is suppose to support and maintain the community through ministry. When I say ministry I don't mean just singing and shouting and preaching of the word. I also mean doing of the word as well. During the civil rights era the Church was the rock of the community especially in the south where Black Folk had it the worse. Now days since the struggle has died down, Blacks are not being visibly persecuted in the same magnitude the Church has become complacent. The purposes of the church in the eyes of many so called Christians has changed. Many so called Christians believe that the does not extend outside of the walls of the building. The word church originally meant those who were called by God as servants. Now days it is some of the churches that are getting served. Sundays some people are just there to get an opiate-like emotional high. In short we want to be entertained. What gets lost is services to the community. Now in fairness not all churches are like this. The amazing phenomenon is that there is a 20% to 80% ratio of church that are actually obedient and are performing kingdom work for the uplifting of the community. This is a time of apostasy. Apostasy is the falling away from God by his people and the rise of false prophecy and false doctrine. So how does one cure this plight and bring the church back to serving the community? It starts with the individual. Each person must know God for himself. God has created a special purpose for all of us. Through spiritual growth and development we learn to become complete people. When we are made whole as individuals we will be better prepared to serve the needs of others. This is what the Christian walk is suppose to be about. By serving God we serve ourselves and a hurting world. When I say serve I mean by going out into the community and feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and jailed, educating the people with useful skills. Oh yes the church can and is suppose to do this too. The church is suppose to help the transition of newly released inmates. This sadly doesn't happen in most cases. However these are things that I have done and do. According to Christian doctrine this is what Jesus commissioned his church to do. As for all the mysticism. In the Bible Jesus spoke to the people not over their heads. He spoke in parables so people would understand. There is no great mystery to me It's really simple. What God wants a family to love him as much his loves them. God wants all mankind to be a part of his family. This is another purpose of the Church, supposedly to bring people together as a family....

Peace........