OldSoul : Brainwashed

Discussion in 'OldSoul' started by oldsoul, Jan 20, 2010.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976

Resolution Project

[​IMG]

Recently there has been a collage of disturbing images saturating the media: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's racially insensitive comments about Barack Obama; Chris Brown's abuse of Rihanna; Tiger Woods' adultery with numerous white women; the controversy surrounding the Black pathology on display in the film Precious.
    These images are disturbing but not surprising, according to advertising visionary Tom Burrell, author of the groundbreaking BRAINWASHED: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority (SmileyBooks; February 8, 2010
    Burrell, a 45-year veteran of the advertising industry and an inductee of the Advertising Hall of Fame, calls the marketing of the myth of Black Inferiority to justify slavery within a democracy "one of the greatest propaganda campaigns of all time."

Burrell examines how, for hundreds of years, Black Americans have labored under a Black Inferiority/White Superiority shadow and have been subject to a brainwashing campaign that was launched when slavery in America was legal. The debilitating campaign continues to this day. Until now, no one has detailed the damaging effects it has had on generations of Black Americans from a marketing/propaganda perspective.
    During his decades in the advertising business, Burrell coined the phrase "Black people are not dark-skinned white people." It was there that he got a close-up view of how Blacks are viewed in this country and the way they unconsciously view themselves. He connected the dots from slavery and Jim Crow segregation to present-day commercial and social propaganda.

Topics explored in BRAINWASHED include:
    How Blacks and whites have been victimized by the lie and why this victimization must end.
    The 10 questions every Black American must wrestle with to free their minds, including:
    Relationship Wrecks: Why can't Blacks build strong families?
    Uglified: Why are Black and beautiful still contradictions?
    Studs and Sluts: Why do super-sexualized stereotypes from O.J. to Tiger Woods still reign supreme?
    Homey-cide: Why do Blacks kill one another at astronomical rates?
    Dos Will Do: Why do too many Black parents promote educational catastrophes for their children?
    Buy Now, Pay Later: Why do we settle for living large, because we feel so low?
    Neo-Coons: Why is the joke always on us?
    Brainwashed 2010: Why Black pathology plays big at the box office
    How brainwashed are you?

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Wow! Another must read book! Thanks for sharing OldSoul:)

3. KEMAKIL

KEMAKIL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electronic/Telecom Engineer
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    the number one issue among black folk!

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    You were the one to remind us that our problem is psychological at the root, years ago, and we still have not heeded that truth on a national scale!

Asante sana

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    it's all in your head.......

have you ever noticed how upset black folk get at the very mention of psycho therapy? do you think that is a coincidence?

the war is psychological. the cure is psychological. so we have been taught to avoid the psychological at all costs.

if you want to destroy a people all you have to do is teach them self destructive habits.
    once you have gotten them to accept the destructive as "good" or "normal", you can stand back and watch them destroy themselves.

then you can become a liberal.

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    That brings to light that our new leadership must come from the writings and ideologies of Black nationalist psychologists, like;
    Dr Joy Degrew
    Dr Amos Wilson
    Dr Naiim Akbar
    and Dr Wade Nobles

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Excerpts from Brainwashed

BRAINWASHED: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority

by Tom Burrell

From The Scorch at the Bottom of the Melting Pot

“The illusion that anyone can succeed—what I call the “paradox of progress”—solidifies the myth of a “post-racial society.” It weakens the impulse to understand or help those still scorched at the bottom of America’s melting pot. It fuels the perception that all is well and “racism is dead,” and suggests that those still wallowing in poverty made conscious choices to live in that stratum. If not, many reason, they’d simply follow Halle, Tiger, Oprah, or even Tom Burrell’s lead. They’d quit bellyaching, grab those bootstraps, and go to work!”

“In the so-called “post-racial era,” internalized black inferiority combined with this new media reality means the rules of engagement have changed dramatically. America’s racial fatigue, coupled with the election of the nation’s first African American president and the illusion of the acceptable exceptions, present new challenges for the best of us and, most importantly, for the rest of us.”

From Relationship Wrecks: Why Can’t We Form Strong Families?

“Our family crisis is inseparable from our black male and female identity crisis, and brainwashing has left a great many of us fearful, confused about our identities, and hopelessly caught in a cycle of relationship underachievement.”

“Blacks not only dance to the beat of family destruction, we patronize films by black producers and directors that bombard our brains and reinforce all the bad we’ve been fed about ourselves—first by the white ruling class, and now abetted by our brainwashed brethren. Whether it’s sagas like Chris Brown and Rihanna, or negative, self-demeaning movies, or characters like those depicted in HBO’s gritty urban drama The Wire—black relationships and families are seen as hopelessly at odds, dysfunctional, violent, and unsubstantial.”

“I’m not condoning domestic violence in any way. I’m not sho’ ’cause I’m not a lawyer…I think when they turn 18 you can put yo’ hands on ’em a little harder than when they was a minor. I think if they 18, [it] can just turn into full-blown ***-whoopin’s… Check your local law…Find out what you can do. Can you choke her? Can you shake her? Find out how by law what it is you can do…how far can you put your foot up her behind before it becomes a felony?”
    — Steve Harvey, The Steve Harvey Radio Show/February 23, 2009

“To be black in America is to be tense, anxious, and often fearful if not outright angry. Intimate relationships often become the central arena where black men today can vent racial frustrations. While he struggles to grasp “manhood” in a society that holds it from him at arm’s length, the befuddled black man lashes out violently at the woman he feels is undermining his fragile authority.”

“I hate my baby mama. I wanna choke her and slap the **** out of her ***, but I can’t afford no domestic violence case right now, you know? But I told her, ‘When I save $2,500, I’m slapping the **** out of yo’ ***, *****!’ Like most of you women don’t know, you $200 from getting yo’ *** choked right now.”
    — Malik S., Def Comedy Jam/February 24, 2008

From Studs and Sluts: Why Do We Conform to Black Sexual Stereotypes?

“Halle Berry can go on film and get the dog **** freaked out of her, and she wins an Oscar,” Nelly said, referring to Berry’s role in Monster’s Ball. “I swipe a credit card down the crack of a girl’s butt, and I’m demoralizing women?”
    — Nelly

“During slavery, black men were encouraged to see themselves as licentious heathens, subhuman, simian sex machines, and natural-born breeders with no emotional attachments. Today, our dilemma is an existential crisis that collectively we’ve been unable to resolve: How can a black male be a man in America? If we reflect honestly, we’ll concede that our perpetual quest for the next conquest—the need for instant sexual gratification—stems from a deeper personal crisis, the compulsive need to scratch an itch that will not go away.”

“Somewhere along the line producers of hip-hop came to realize that the real money, the real avenues to fortune and fame, came via music about sex, drugs, and violence; how they “made it” on the carcasses of those who trespassed on their turf—either in the streets or in the industry. Along the line, powerful forces realized there was gold in black music divisions.”

“The Jezebel stereotype was used to excuse rape and justify the slaveowner’s carnal desires. After all, how could it be rape, if the victim is property designed for seedy sexual indulgence? During the first half of the 20th century, the myth manifested itself in the form of everyday objects—from postcards to novelty items. Today, the depiction of black women as Jezebel-like whores continues, thanks in large part to bestselling, black female rappers who probably have no clue that they’re playing myth-personified roles.”

From Uglified: Why Are Black and Beautiful Still Contradictions?

“heart throb, never, black and ugly as ever
    however, I stay Gucci down to the socks”
    — Notorious B.I.G., “One More Chance”

“I grew up thinking I was ugly, and my mother reinforced that. She’d say things like, ‘Stop poking out those lips, they are already too big, they look like two sausages.’ My mother never told me I was a beautiful woman.”
    — Tanya, 52

“When the colonies became America, the primary campaign to “uglify” African slaves became more intense, pervasive, and codified. The message was reinforced in a myriad of ways, including Thomas Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia, where he demeaned blacks while defining the standard of superior (white) beauty.”

“For most of our history in the New World, we openly coveted light skin and straight hair. Today, the pinnacles of black female beauty remain almost white-looking. It is disturbingly telling that the long weave seems to be a prerequisite for black singers, actors, and models. Hip-hop videos feature light-skinned black, Latino, or Asian women—to the exclusion of darker-skinned black dancers. In these befuddled musical sketches of black life, blinged-out heroes surround themselves with lighter-skinned trophies. The darker women in such videos are rarely positioned as the Pedestal Prize—that place is usually reserved for the surrogate white girl.”

“The remnants of brainwashing linger and one of the strongest signs of its persistence is in black males who prefer women who look nothing like them.” From Homey-cide: Why Do We Keep Killing Each Other?

“Mental health experts are in general agreement that persistent exposure to humiliation, brutality, and abuse, physical or emotional, can program people to humiliate, brutalize, and abuse others. Apart from the indigenous people of this country, no other ethnic group has been subjected to the centuries of abuse that Africans and their descendants have experienced.”

“Our rate of domestic violence, where spouses and intimate partners kill each other, is far greater than that of any other ethnic group. Black males are not only the most likely victims of homicide; they dominate as killers, especially in taking the life of another black male.”

“We will…tsk-tsk, moan, and wail about a lost life in front of news cameras and dutifully deliver teddy bears to the porches of murdered children. We perpetuate the myth. If we expose the Founding Fathers’ contribution to America’s creation of the heartless monsters roaming 21st-century concrete jungles, we’re afraid we might be dismissed as radical, paranoid, or “stuck in the past.” What we won’t do is recognize that, collectively, we have the inherent power and responsibility to address black-on-black violence.”

From Diss-Unity: Why Can’t We Stick Together?

“Everything white people don’t like about black people, black people REALLY don’t like about black people!”
    — Chris Rock, 1997...

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    they get us when we young.....

we all start out at a young age getting told things that are not true. the tooth fairy, santa claus.
    we are taught to believe things that do not even make sense. we are told to turn off our logical faculty and just have faith.

once you are trained to believe in stuff that any fool can see is not true, you are set up for being brainwashed.

10. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    “The illusion that anyone can succeed—what I call the “paradox of progress”—solidifies the myth of a “post-racial society.” It weakens the impulse to understand or help those still scorched at the bottom of America’s melting pot

Dr Neely Fuller has mentioned this "strategy" of manipulation, and it has been the biggest obstacle to unity and a collective effort