Black People : "Brainstorming" For Solutions

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by A007, Sep 17, 2009.

1. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    What are the possible solutions for changing our communities for the better?

In my estimation we have to identify the problem first. In order to do that we have to compare our communities that are suffering to those communities that are not.

The communities that are doing well are not more moral, more "Godly", more intelligent, better people. They simply have more money.

Almost every problem we have in our communities can be solved with money.

We can not solve the issues that pertain to love (or lack thereof) or spirituality with money, but everything else we can be solved by us educating ourselves, and finding ways to infuse money into our communities.

Things that will improve with money:

Crime
    Education
    Housing
    Health
    Self-esteem
    Jobs
    Entrepreneurship
    Culture
    The Arts
    Relationships
    Family Units
    Financial Freedom

If we have these things, then focusing on love and spirituality will be able to address greed, selfishness, and self-control.

This is the what. We can discuss the HOW when all solution ideas have been submitted and we agree on one or more.

Peace and Love

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    good thread...i think if we stopped believing all of the stereotypes we are portrayed as would be a great start...then we could start defining ourselves and not be content in letting other ethnicity's define us...

one love
    khasm

3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Money will certainly solve many of the problems within our community. But, there is already a LOT of money flowing through our community. In fact, the combined Gross National Product (GNP) of Black America is more than 600 billion dollars, an amount which rival many small nations. Therefore, a comprehensive and honest assessment of this topic must accept the fact that we already have a LOT of money. We buy a LOT of STUFF. Adding money without a fundamental change in the way we use that money simply means we will buy more STUFF, which builds wealth of those who are more into wealth building than STUFF collecting.

So as we discuss identifying the problem, it seems we need to look deeper than just money. Also, most methods of injecting money into the community requires skills and disciplines that are based on education and character, unless, of course we are given a winfall by reparations.

Dave Chapelle did a comedy skit about what would occur if we were to get a large infusion of money via reparations. Dave Chapelle on Reparations

I have a sense of humor, but this is a bit disturbing on a lot of levels.

On the other hand, educating ourselves is certainly a MUST. The challenge here is incentivising an embrace of education of our young and old alike.

4. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    please check the resources and the book I mentioned from Claude Anderson,
    there is no need to reinvent the wheel, if we have not taken the cure the doctors have prescribed, and we are wondering why we are still sick, also take a look at the NGuzo Saba post and it takes care of that in a most fundamental way were all can contribute regardless of age

5. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    As a way of combining these two threads, I pulled over your resources. I am currently taking a look at these offerings. Could you give a summary of these teachings as to how it relates this thread, sort of a readers digest version. Since it will take a long while to read & review all of this information, it would be very helpful if you could hit the highlights for us.

6. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    If I correctly understand by money improving family units, you are referring to homes that include father, mother, and their children. I think strong family units are fundamental to the uplifting and improving of our community. Strong family units should serve as incubators for developing well rounded people who have a sense of responsibility to our community and who seek excellence in education as well as responsible financial habits. Also, it is the "home training" that can teach responsibil sexual behavior as well as other moral and ethical character issues which will be needful in building a strong self-sustaining community.

Our attitudes towards marriage, family, & what we consider as "right" concerning this issue probably will not change simply because more money flows into the community. Please elaborate on how you see money as a catalyst for encouraging our people to embrace strong, traditional, family units.

7. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    I apreciate the offer partner but my hands are full right now, and realy it's, I can't do all the work, so hopefully you young brothers can build with the bricks and mortar I have provided, that was requested, if you are seriouis about seeing some real change.

Basically they all start with the premiss that we must seize what the IN THING is amongst our youth and make a commitment to the common good of the community something they get into the way they get into the latest fad, fashion ,and style that Tavistock and Madison Avenue puts out there.
    Next small neworks of communicxation should be fostered and established, that would take on larger ramificatrions, for instance the politicilization of what was known as gangs during the late 60s was done i derground, were many Black gangs evolved into a desire to join the Blaack Panther party, and many hispanic gangs had evolved into the Young Lords.
    Now this conversion occured exponentially across the nation without any real effort on the part of the originators of either political organization.
    By virtue of the above example the spreading on the underground level of the precepts of the NGuzo Saba, and the understanding that they can be used daily rather then relegated to 7 days around Kwanzaa can happen.

Not saying no but as time goes on I will present certain whole documents such as I said, the Charter of the Organization of Afro-American Unity.

8. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    I agree that adding money will change nothing unless we LEARN new lessons about money. This is why this statement:

"but everything else we can be solved by us educating ourselves, and finding ways to infuse money into our communities."

is so important. We first must educate ourselves about money and economics. Although we have a lot of money going through our communities, it does little to help our communities.

The poverty rate of of African Americans remained nearly twice the national rate, with 24.4 percent of blacks living below the poverty line in 2003, slightly higher from 24.1 percent a year earlier.
    --Bureau of Statistics

If we have twice as much poverty then it stands to reason that we have three times as much crime. To say because we have a lot of money going through our communities but not compare it to the "better" communities is slightly misleading. Yes we have limited wealth, but to show how big the gap is...you can add the top 20 wealthiest black americans together and not equal the wealth of the number 61 richest american, Steve Jobs.

Here are the numbers: Among $150k U.S. households, 6.5 million are white, 372k are Hispanic, 312k are African-American, and 527k are Asian.

So, YES WE ABSOLUTELY need education about money before we acquire wealth, but we also need education about money IN ORDER to acquire wealth. This wealth in the hands of informed people with CHANGE OUR COMMUNITIES without a doubt.

9. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    the answer to our problems

is not money

money is the root of our problems because we give it so much value

we value it more then we value our selves

the answer to our problems is right within our selves and our own ability to actualize for ourselves

money is material and will always come and go

as long as we trying to get what they got ain't no comin up for us

we gotta start small and move toward greatness, first by remembering to do the little things

we right her on destee, and there are so many of us

told u we need to be organizing community

gettin together, exchangin information, becoming servant to one another

there is no reason why keita can't help me publish my book, there is no reason why khasm can't help me with my album, there is no reason why we can't all make it to class, to chat, to oldsoul's mother's memeorial 2night at 8, there is no reason for none of u to call on me if u need anything

forget all the non sense

we have wealth right in each other

c one day as far as i go, some of u will be happy that we're friends, some of u will wish u were my friend and some of u will continue to be haters, it's just the world spinnin round

the authority is in my claim to my wealth

and that lies in our spirit, not in their money

the question ain't if imma get it... the question is what will i do after i get it

if the foundation is money then u better hope u can fly cause that leaves no legs to stand on

me i want it all without losing myself in the process

pac told u this life as a rap star is nothin without god

we need to find god first

and then money will come

god knows exactly what we need, and if u have any kind of faith in ur god then u already know that u can use anything u need here to survive

THE TRUTH IS WE ARE OUR PROBLEM

10. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    This is what a lot of people say. However, there is nothing to back it up. There is no evidence that our communities are getting better because people are more Christian or more Muslim etc. Their communities are not better because they have a better sense of themselves or because they believe in God more. Their communities are better because they have more money.

This is not say they don't have problems, because they do. They have drug abuse, domestic abuse, suicide, poor parenting, low self-esteem, teen pregnancy, crime etc....BUT..they PALE in comparison to the amounts of these things that go on in our communities.

Miss Lady, we will NEVER all agree on what religion will save us, so we should not focus on what keeps us separate, but what we can agree on. I think we all agree that $1 + $1 = $2. Let's start with that.

Peace and Love