Black Men : braids on men (an old african tradition)

Blaklioness said:
A Nigerian man once told me that braids on the continent were in fact considered feminine. He didn't understand where the tradition in the Black American community came from....guess you learn something new everyday....Thanks for sharing!:)

This is true for the most part. In the Yoruba religion, males only wear cornrows if their orisa is Shango.

African_Prince said:
This is true for the most part. In the Yoruba religion, males only wear cornrows if their orisa is Shango.
Thank you my brother. How can history be so warped and twisted? Its origins does not go to 18th or 19th centruy Ethiopia. It is not their tradition. It goes to the heart of Black Africa! The Yorubas were wearing the Cornrows from the 14 th century ever since King Shango died as a great warrior and became deified. The males, who wore it, as african prince aptly pointed out, were shango worshipers who wanted to take on the female role so that they could be a good vessel for possesion by the Gods. If it ever came to the New World, it is not via Ethiopia kings and Queens or other afro-asiatic whatever.

militant said:
Thank you my brother. How can history be so warped and twisted? Its origins does not go to 18th or 19th centruy Ethiopia. It is not their tradition. It goes to the heart of Black Africa! The Yorubas were wearing the Cornrows from the 14 th century ever since King Shango died as a great warrior and became deified. The males, who wore it, as african prince aptly pointed out, were shango worshipers who wanted to take on the female role so that they could be a good vessel for possesion by the Gods. If it ever came to the New World, it is not via Ethiopia kings and Queens or other afro-asiatic whatever.
what do u mean"in the heart of black africa" ethiopia is africa and is black.look at the title it says an old african tradition not an old ethiopian tradition.i know they used to do it for a fact because i am originally ethiopian and if u know the story of one of the kings called Tewodros(which i posted above).the british shaved his braids after he commited suicide and took it to england along with his son(who is said to have died of depression after they took away him from africa.and you can find his tomb in london) as for the braids it is still found in a london museum.true story:D

African_Prince said:
thank you for your info i didnt know it was a culture among other africans.here is what i found from some site.
"There are six kinds of hair braidingin africa, each used for different ceremonies, rituals, and occasions. The types include Ghame, Sadula, Sighem, Rubo, Shroba, Gilbitch, and Albaso. Occasionally, men also braid their hair the traditional way. This was long before rappers, movie stars, and celebrities braided their hair for fashion. For instance, Emperor Tewodros of Ethiopia used to braid his hair in the Sadula style and Emperor Yohannes, also of Ethiopia, used to braid his hair in the Albaso style."

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back