Black Men : braids on men (an old african tradition)

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Kassa, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Kassa

Kassa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    we all know braids are a popular culture in the black male community.i just wanted to share that cornrows(braids) were actually a sign of manhood and solidarity in the 18'th and 19'th century ethiopia. infact kings or warlords at the time used to do it.i jus thought u wnnna know.
    check the pics.peace
    http://www.geocities.com/ethiopiankings/tewo1.jpg

http://www.tigrai.org/TNPicture/KingYohaness.jpg

http://www.ethiopianhistory.com/modern/tewodros/tewodros_sucide.jpg

http://www.ethiopianhistory.com/modern/tewodros/tewodros.jpg

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Hello Kassa and Welcome to Destee's!

I hope you continue to participate and share with us.

Thank you for the info and links.

As for braids on men, it took me a long time to get use to seeing braids and/or the big puff ponytails on men. I grew up associating braids as a feminine quality (igonorance is a bliss).

Now I veiw it as the norm and it be looking nice on some Brothers, especially when they have the edges trimmed up. But I love seeing a Brother with locs. Something about those locs is so darn sexy to me.

Again, Welcome to Destee's!
    Looking forward to reading more from you!

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    A Nigerian man once told me that braids on the continent were in fact considered feminine. He didn't understand where the tradition in the Black American community came from....guess you learn something new everyday....Thanks for sharing!:)

4. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Hmmm... that's interesting. I guess that shows just how much we think on the surface of things. Tracing things back to the roots (no pun intended) is very enlightening indeed.

I was just wondering, Kassa, can you validate the authenticy of these photo?

5. Kassa

Kassa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
  6. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you! I can almost actually hear you laughing out loud about the length of that link. lol But I'm gonna read it until my eyes start hurting.:smile:

7. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    This is true for the most part. In the Yoruba religion, males only wear cornrows if their orisa is Shango.

8. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you my brother. How can history be so warped and twisted? Its origins does not go to 18th or 19th centruy Ethiopia. It is not their tradition. It goes to the heart of Black Africa! The Yorubas were wearing the Cornrows from the 14 th century ever since King Shango died as a great warrior and became deified. The males, who wore it, as african prince aptly pointed out, were shango worshipers who wanted to take on the female role so that they could be a good vessel for possesion by the Gods. If it ever came to the New World, it is not via Ethiopia kings and Queens or other afro-asiatic whatever.

9. Kassa

Kassa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    what do u mean"in the heart of black africa" ethiopia is africa and is black.look at the title it says an old african tradition not an old ethiopian tradition.i know they used to do it for a fact because i am originally ethiopian and if u know the story of one of the kings called Tewodros(which i posted above).the british shaved his braids after he commited suicide and took it to england along with his son(who is said to have died of depression after they took away him from africa.and you can find his tomb in london) as for the braids it is still found in a london museum.true story:D

10. Kassa

Kassa Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for your info i didnt know it was a culture among other africans.here is what i found from some site.
    "There are six kinds of hair braidingin africa, each used for different ceremonies, rituals, and occasions. The types include Ghame, Sadula, Sighem, Rubo, Shroba, Gilbitch, and Albaso. Occasionally, men also braid their hair the traditional way. This was long before rappers, movie stars, and celebrities braided their hair for fashion. For instance, Emperor Tewodros of Ethiopia used to braid his hair in the Sadula style and Emperor Yohannes, also of Ethiopia, used to braid his hair in the Albaso style."