Black Sports : boxing falling off

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Therious, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    with the exception of a few good men in the lighter to mid weights. boxing has no real super star. and i dont see one coming either. don king could be to blame. how much longer will this sport last? i am actually more entertained by k-1 kick boxing.

2. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Although Boxing may not have a lot of boxers who the public knows about their are a large number of very good fighters in all of the weight divisions except maybe for the heavyweights. The media is to blame for not reporting to the public about how good a lot of these boxers actually are .

I wouldnt put K-1 fighting anywhere near boxing in terms of quality because a lot of their fighters ,including their biggest star Bob Sapp ,win fights with out using any real fighting skills , but in boxing if you dont have skills you cant win .

Boxing will always be around because of its core of loyal fans.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree 100%, boxing is in the best shape it has been in for years! There are literally hundreds of good boxers, who could be superstars if they had better media coverage. What hurts boxing is the media's love affair with the heavyweight division. If the sports writers concentrated on the fighters that deserve attention, the sport would be better appreciated. I'll get back to this one...I have to teach!

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I second these statements.

Mannnn, you didn't see the Mayweather/Gatti fight...or the Corrales/Costillo fight? I think you mean boxing is dead in the heavyweight division. That's the only division that's not hot right now.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    back to finish what I started

To echo what brother Monetary said: Anyone who thinks boxing is dead obviously hasn't seen the Diego Corrales-Jose Luis Castillo fight....the Glen Coffee Johnson-Antonio Tarver matches....the Diego Corrales-Joel Casamayor matches....Emmanuel Augustus-Ray Olivera....Kassim Ouma....Floyd Mayweather....Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez....Felix Trinidad-Ricardo Mayorga....Antonio Margarito-Kermit Cintron...the list goes on! If the news media covered these fights, boxing could retain its former glory.

Back in the early 1900s to the 1970s, boxing was considered a major sport. The news media covered boxing as such, it was in the papers...it was in the news. By the 1980s, the media decided that boxing was no longer a major sport...they stopped covering it, and the general public stopped caring. Of course boxing is also to blame. Pay-per-view has not helped the sport. Boxing lost a lot of fans when networks like ABC (wide world of sports) and NBC stopped showing fights. In the late 1980s and 1990s there were so few superstars, that promoters usually avoided putting the best in the ring with each other, because they were scared for them to lose. All of these factors hurt boxing.

The good news is that the factors which hurt boxing for years are now being eliminated. Boxing is now being picked up by more media outlets. Besides the big two (HBO & Showtime), boxing can regularly be seen on Telemundo, Telefutura, Fox Sports, and ESPN. In fact NBC as once again been showing boxing (although not as much as they used to). In addition to this, the best fighters in the world are now facing each other. While it might have been true that boxing was falling off before, today it is in its best shape in at least 20 years.

6. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

These matches were incredible. Yeah, I agree, Heavyweight division is weak, but there are a lot of good boxers in lighter divisions. They aren't afraid to get hit like the heavyweights are. Watching the heavyweight division is like watching Celebrity Ballroom Dancing.

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i agree the lighter weights are in pretty good shape. but lets not front the heavyweights are the biggest draw. where is this milliniums tyson, or riddick bowe ect.pay per view probably has had a lot to do with it. i find my self less interested ever since the decline of the heavy weights.

watching the lighter weights is like watching the carolina panthers versus the eagles. the eagles are just a better specticle, although the panthers are a good team (at least they were 2 years ago). IMO

peace

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That is the difference between a true fan, and a casual fan. One can't claim to appreciate or be knowledgable about boxing unless they watch the lighterweights. The greatest fighter who ever lived (Sugar Ray Robinson) never approached the heavyweight division, but everyone that ever saw him thought he was the greatest....including Muhammed Ali, who copied his style!

9. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Man thats all I hear my father talk about is Sugar Ray Robinson, from start to end I heard he would never stop throwing punches. Boxing does take alot of talent I can speak for the 8 months and one of the main things you have to be able to do is take a punch.

10. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree a good is a good fight no matter if the fighters weigh over 200 lbs or not