Black Entertainment : BOUNCE TV; African American Television Station

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Chevron Dove, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    BOUNCE TV; An African American Television Station

I've been noticing this station on my TV recently and didn't realize until recently too, that it is a relatively new public television station design for Black Americans. It started in September 2011 and I suppose it just started airing in my state recently. Since I don't get cable, I guess it will be nice to see some older films that will now be aired. Anyway, here is some information about it:

Bounce TV is a United States television network airing on digital terrestrial television stations. Promoted as “the first 24/7 digital multicast broadcast network created exclusively for African Americans,” Bounce TV launched on September 26, 2011 [1] and features programming geared toward blacks and African Americans in the 25-54 age range.

As of September 2013, Bounce TV was reaching 87 markets, 89% of African-American and 71% of overall U.S. television households. [2]

History [edit]

Bounce TV was founded on April 4, 2011 and is majority owned-and-operated by African Americans. The founding group and initial ownership team includes former Atlanta mayor and United Nations Ambassador Andrew Young, Martin Luther King III, and Andrew “Bo” Young III: the group also includes …, the co-founders of Rainforest Films, a top African-American production company.

Before its launch, Bounce TV lined up national distribution through digital sub channels of television stations throughout the United States….

Bounce TV began broadcasts on September 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm Eastern/11:00 am Central with a showing of the 1978 musical film, The Wiz, which starred Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, and continues to be a staple movie on Bounce....

In March 2014, Bounce and Univision extended their affiliation agreement for multiple years and increasing the number of stations affiliating from 6 to 12 markets in 2015. The move will replace Fox-owned stations in those five markets: New York, Los Angeles, Dallas, Orlando, and Phoenix. [9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_TV
    http://www.bouncetv.com/

2. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Had a friend that would often talk about Bounce TV, as she didn't have cable.

We don't (or didn't, haven't watched TV in awhile) get it here, but from the shows she claims they aired, it made me somewhat irritated and jealous that it was only in a few selected areas.

Otherwise it was like a free air version of TV One from what she described.
    Seems to be growing.

3. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    yes now just from hearing from you, I can now believe that it really did just recently air in my area!

I was just changing channel and realize that it was not just a bad signal that just happen to show a Black film for a few moments. Days later, I saw the channel come in again and that's when I decided to do some research! I think this channel first aired in Los Angeles, New york, Dallas, phoenix, and one other area initially. Hopefully, your area will get it too!

4. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

Yea, from what I heard it began by sharing time with other stations and it would come in at a certain time-slot.

This was maybe 2 years ago though so not sure what has changed, as I haven't even seen it to make any definitive claims on it past or present.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

These links, Find Us, show the Markets, Call Letters, Over-the-Air and Cable Channels for Bounce TV:

www.bouncetv.com/find-us/

http://www.bouncetv.com/find-us/