Amun-Ra : Born to Be Wild?

Discussion in 'Amun-Ra' started by Amun-Ra, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Amun-Ra

Amun-Ra Well-Known Member MEMBER

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Finally, it is all out in the open. The last closet door swung open long ago and homosexuality stands boldly in the public and along with it Americans have come face to face with their own bigotry and insecurities.

Although, few would probably admit it openly, nearly everyone has an opinion about homosexuality. For the fundamental religionist, homosexuals are an abomination and deserve what ever happens to them and the righteous punishment of an indignant creator. For the staunch conservative, homosexuality represents "unnormal" that should be kept under the covers or in the closet where it belongs. For liberals, it should be brought out in public and the public should be accepting.

All of these represent extreme stances even though there are many who agree with any or all of them. The mention of homosexuality makes the hair stand up on the back of some people's necks and sends others running to protect their children from the horde of homosexuals who are about to descend upon humanity turning the world into a Sodom and Gomorrah.

However, once the panic subsided American found that homosexuality did not go back into the closet and that it is alive and very apparent in American Society. In the black community, homosexuality is often misunderstood and held in disgust largely out of that misunderstanding and a large doses of preconceived ideas. However, more and more homosexuals are going public in the black community and as they do, the black community finds itself in the strange position of discriminating. The discrimination tag fits uncomfortably for a people who have been discriminated against so terribly. Yet, there is blatant discrimination against homosexuals in the black community.

It seems like all of a sudden the community is rife with homosexuals, but the truth is they have always been there-only they were deep in the closet. We knew them growing up, especially male homosexuals. We knew who they were by the way they talked, the way they walked and the way they wore their clothes. We knew, which leads me to my next subject.

There is good evidence that homosexuals are born. So far, the evidence has proved inconclusive as far as homosexuality being genetic. However, there is good evidence that homosexuality runs in families the same as diabetes. There is evidence that is not a case of a girl being born a boy or boy being born a girl, although that does happen, it that people are have no more choice in being heterosexual or gay than they do in choosing their eye color. Many will insist that being a homosexual is a life style choice, but who would willingly choose to be denigrated, harassed, threatened or even killed by declaring such a position? It would not be a rational choice although there certainly must be some people who do make a conscious choice to join the homosexual lifestyle.

Are homosexuals born or made? Are the men in prison who have punk boyfriends gay or straight. Where is the line? Personally, I believe it is inescapable. Gay people had no choice in the matter-that is who they are and will always be. Now, where does that put them as far as character, courage and morality? I submit that it makes them no different from anyone else other than holding a different sexual orientation.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Ra I'LL SHAKE MY HEAD AND SAY
    ****! I HATE A BISEXUAL

3. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Jumped Out there!

I know I jumped out there on this one, but that's what I am supposed to do. Who wants to read something we all can agree on? Let's get busy! I ain't afraid to tackle any topic and the more controversial it is--the better. Stay tuned for articles coming on Affirmative Action: Yea or Nay?, Are Women Smarter Than Men? and a host of other sure enough pot stirrers designed to make you mad, glad but not indifferent.

Ra

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Amun-Ra,

Sorry you've not heard from me, things have been crazy.

Another great topic, thank you for this.

I don't know for others, whether they are born that way or they choose that way. If I had sex with another woman, it would be a choice, not that I was born to do so.

I read recently about the discrimination the black community gives to black men who prefer other men. I was really alarmed, considering the discrimination we've experienced. If no mistake, I read that black "gay" men have the highest rate of HIV (or something like that). I think this may be due in part to their having to hide it, keep it in the closet, not seek or be provided information openly. Those black men are our sons, brothers, fathers, uncles and friends ... and are welcome here.

I think it's time to stop finding reasons to hate. I am very comfortable with me, which makes it very easy for me to be comfortable with you.

:heart:

Destee

5. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    U R Right!

Bashing is not as apparrent in the black community, but it exists--we probably aren't as bad because we have other issues that are more pressing--although I think AIDS is definitely a pressing issue, but it affects heterosexual and homosexual alike. If we add to that the suffering in Africa--the subject falls off the face of the earth in surrealism--but I have to agree, we aren't so bold in our bashing--although I have heard many a Sunday sermon where the gloves came off and some outright gay bashing took place--but even that has toned down somewhat as many have come to realize that gays are a very large part of many churches--then it become religious politics and that's an entirely different subject.

Ra

6. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    You Are Correct

I will address the homosexual issue and the Bible in another post, but you surely are correct in pointing out that the way the Bible has traditionally been taught, then it would be correct to gay bash. And, you are right that many a minister has recognized that gays now make up a significant amount of the congregation and are reluctant to be quite so straight-forward in openly critcizing because of economics. The same could be said of women. Women are the backbone of the church, not just the black church but the Christian church in general. Estimates have been made that if women quit attending church that the Christian church would lose 60 percent of its membership and I don't doubt that. With the exception of the ministry, it seems the church is dominated by women. I'll address homosexuality and the Bible tomorrow on my last free day before I start another research project.

Ra

7. Caasi

Caasi New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    U R Right and Wild,
    Gay bashing is not religiously acceptable. The bible says its a sin, but do we bash other people for having sex before marriage? Is it right to hate homosexuals for "sinning" but not to hate everyone else....beause everyone sins. And yes black people gay bash too.
    Last November, a sophomore at the all-male, historically black Morehouse College was expelled after he beat another student with a baseball bat for allegedly looking at him before entering a dormitory shower stall. Why did he attack? He thought the student was gay and making a sexual advance. The victim, who has not revealed his sexual orientation, says he mistakenly thought the attacker might be his roommate and was about to greet him. But because he wasn't wearing his glasses, he couldn't be certain of who it was. The attacker has since been charged with aggravated assault; many outraged students are calling it a hate crime.
    (http://www.teenpeople.com/teenpeople/getpers/hottopic/main/0,8178,419386,00.html)

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    about homosexuality being a choice one makes, how do you explain the three year old male\female who talks with his hands flaring and the body gestures of a female or the female child who refuses to where a dress and prefers to play with the boys. Even though I know it is a sin to be gay, what right do I have to bash them. I know its said to be alright in the bible but it also says not to judge. That is GODS responsibility. I'm not gay but I've met some kindhearted people who are. People who would be there for you when everyone else have turned their backs on you,And creative Too. As far as I,m concern gay people have a soul that can be saved too. Who,s to say that When God lays his spirit on them that they won't change and be Christ like. Besides Who here can say that they are without sin. I,m just happy that God
    Is'nt so fast to judge and that there is still hope for me to get myself right with him.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
  10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    wow! NNQueen that was very interesting. so many opinions. BUT one never knows what one does in privacy of ones home. To say its un-african is like saying we are without sinn. Surely murder, theft, adultry,fornication,and all commandments should be held with such high regards. After all that we've been through as Black people and the issues we are still facing find time to shame others. I still say let our FATHER be the judge. No sinn is lesser than the other. All sinn carry the same weight. It breaks my heart to think that we possess the same mentality as most white people possess when it comes to the black race. Thanks Queen,
    that was real interesting. Surely we all have our opinions.