Black People : BOOKS BY BLACK AUTHORS

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Oct 13, 2005.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hello Family:

For some of you, this might be a waste of a thread, but to me, it means alot. If I might ask-

CAN WE USE THIS THREAD TO GATHER IMPORTANT BOOKS, ESSAYS, NOVELS, ETC. by Black authors who have made an impact, and make an impact?

I woould like to attend Howard University for graduate school in the next few years, and I just heard that they have a very good writing program (one of the best in the country.) I am trying to become a better writer to prepare for that challenge, and one of my professors just told me to read alot of books by people who write very well. If you know of any writers who write books exceptionally well, please post them and the books.

I would personally appreciate it.

CD

2. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Howard University, now that is something! I wish I could help.

3. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    Knowledge is Vital

Escapism is a very necessary form of relaxation (but reading matter is a method of both exercising and programming the brain), however there is a mountain of useful information that we peoples of African ethnicity need to ingest and digest if we’re going to deduce how to constructively develop ourselves and our communities in the 21st century.

The Destruction of African Civilisation (Chancellor Williams), and Blacks in Science (Ancient & Modern), They Came before Columbus (Ivan van Sertima), Nile Vallely Contributions to Civilisation and the Browder Files (Anthony T Browder) are all interesting and uplifting books, with Alex Haley’s Autobiography of Malcolm X easily being the best written.

The intellectual heavyweights can attempt Dr Frances Cress Welsing’s book The Isis Papers-The Key to the Colours, which is an in depth analysis of Racism and White Supremacy and all the relevant Symbols that pervades every aspect of our lives. She literally puts forward a program at the end of the book as to how to limit the damage done to us collectively as we attempt to survive in this blatantly hostile White Supremacist Racist environment.

Yurugu [An African Centred Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behaviour] by Marimba Ani is the ultimately rigorous Spiritual and Intellectual workout, which literally leaves no stone unturned in it microscopic examination of Caucasians and their psyche.

Yurugu-as defined by the Dogon of Mali=a being born prematurely without his female twin-soul. Realising that he was flawed and therefore deficient, forever incomplete, who was and is doomed to perpetually search for completeness that could never be his. How do they know so much about Silva and his ilk [all the other Caucasian BATTERING RAMS on the Internet posing as Africans]?

4. GmoneyP2010

GmoneyP2010 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    black author

Hello, MY name is Greg Pitts an author of 2 self published jokes books
    www.inyofaceproduction.com for more details

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Thanks alot Gmoney. Also as I thank you, I want to personally give you a be-lated Welcome to the Destee Family!

I feel that too little knowledge is being placed before our youth. I feel that instead of sports and rap music, our youth should be exposed to the "Mis-Education of the Negro," "Visions of a Black Man," and others books like that. In addition to that, short essays and excerpts will be helpful and meaningful as well.

CD

6. SUN OF RA

SUN OF RA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +6

Very nice and powerful list of books by great scholars and teachers. I wholeheartedly agree with this list.

Htp.u

7. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    Thank You Very Much!

We are very fortunate in contrast to our ancestors including our parents because we have a reservoir of TRUTH from our own African scholars, whereas they had to ingest and digest dated White Supremacist Racist garbage.

However it is our responsibility to make this information general knowledge in our communities, because the current status quo NEVER EVER WILL.

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I suggest anything written by Dr. Cornell west.

500 years of European behavior by Nana Ekow Butweiku

Orison presented a great list he covered many of my favorite writtings.

good luck at Howard

one

9. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Dr Claud Anderson, Founder/President of The Harvest Institute

Dr. Claud Anderson, is president of The Harvest Institute, a non-profit, tax exempt a nationally recognized Black think tank that works to help Black America become a self-sufficient and competitive group of people.

Widely recognized as one of America’s most influential intellectuals and authors, Dr. Anderson has popularized Black history. His book, Black Labor, White Wealth: A Search for Power and Economic Justice, is the foundation for the programs, policies, and research solutions of The Harvest Institute. The Institute has adopted his book, PowerNomics: The National Plan to Empower Black America as the blueprint for all of its activities. Dr. Anderson founded the Institute in 1993.

http://www.harvestinstitute.org/bio.htm

*The Harvest Institute was featured during the Million More Movement*

10. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    Wow, wow, all these books are great, I've read them all,
    have them in my library, and refer to them often. You go family!!:kickball: