Black People : BOOKS, BOOKS. BOOKS, ON THE AFRICAN WORLD...

Cedric Denson said:
Ibrahim:

I thought John G. Jackson and Michael Bradley were white? And that is besides the point.

If a black man wrote a book on how inspiring Europe is to him (at the same time talking about how bad Africa is to him), How many people would invest in that book?

Why do we HAVE to read books written by white authors anyway? Nothing against white authors (or any other non-Afrikan authors), but you need to know something about black people writing books.

There are people in this world who learn about Shakespeare, Mark Twain, and all those white authors, and they feel as if you need to be like them to be a good reader and/or writer. It makes a BIG difference when you take into account the excellent Afrikan authors there are. How would people feel if they did not read Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 'Letter From the Birmingham Jail?' I can tell you that speaking from experience, there are many blacks who were convinced that they can write well using rhetorical strategies after reading that letter, written by someone who looks just like them, and came from almost the same backgrounds they came from.

When young black men see Michael Jordan, Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Emmit Smith, Michael Vick, etc. playing sports very well, then they become convinced that they can play those same sports extremely well too. Now why do you think you don't see a bunch of black hockey players? Or why don't you see many black men in NASCAR? Because they don't see other black men doing big things in those sports, so therefore they are not convinced that they can do well in those sports.

When you see someone of the same origin as you doing something well, you become convinced that you can do the same thing they did.

CD

Cedric, John G. Jackson is a Black man - and an atheist(smile!) As a religious person, does that impact on how you view his writtings??? Hmmmmm, interesting...

A good historian/writer is a good historian/writer... Martin Bernal, Gerald Massey, Count Volney, William Loren Katz, Herbert Aptheker, and a whole host of White Historians, are owed a great debt for simply telling the truth in their books... I am sure other folks can name even more examples...

Don't cheat yourself outta reading something powerful because the writer is of another ethnic group... I've read plenty of black writers who stunk as writers(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Isaiah said:
Cedric, John G. Jackson is a Black man - and an atheist(smile!) As a religious person, does that impact on how you view his writtings??? Hmmmmm, interesting...

A good historian/writer is a good historian/writer... Martin Bernal, Gerald Massey, Count Volney, William Loren Katz, Herbert Aptheker, and a whole host of White Historians, are owed a great debt for simply telling the truth in their books... I am sure other folks can name even more examples...

Don't cheat yourself outta reading something powerful because the writer is of another ethnic group... I've read plenty of black writers who stunk as writers(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

I was not trying to say that white authors stunk as writers and black writers were the best; I was trying to say that when a black man writes a good book, that would inspire other black men to believe that they too, as black men, can write good books.

I heard of Count Volney, the others I did not know very much about. On John G. Jackson, the fact that he is an "athiest" will not change me anymore than when I found out that Henry Louis Gates, Jr. was married to a white woman. I know what I have to do and have to learn, and I will do it, regardless of what people of the past did.

Back to reading about "Tookie" Williams. LOL!

CD

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

It's a lot going on and I know I have not been here for a long time but it is about to change.
Blessings sent to all journeying in 2024 so far
Back