Black People : BOOKS, BOOKS. BOOKS, ON THE AFRICAN WORLD...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
  2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    This is a very good list. I own The Destruction of Black Civilization, read Visions for Black Men, gave away the Mis-Education of the Negro [to a young brotha out of love], currently reading Introduction to African Civilizations by John G. Jackson, and I am looking forward to more books.

Thank you for this list.

CD

3. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    Great list, I have most of these in my library. Nice to see Cheikh (Share) Anta Diop a Senegalese in there Isaiah. My husband is proud of that as well. Unfotunately, he is not revered as he should be in Senegal. He is one of the great Afrakan men who risked his life to speak and write truth to power. He was mutlifaceted- a linquist, a chemist, an anthropologist, mathematician a biologist, a historian, an author, fluid in French, Wolof.

Made several comparative studies of the ancient lanquage of the Kemetians and Wolof. Brillaint warrior. A mentor, for several contemporary Afrakan historians from all over the diaspora. He came to Morehouse in the 80's to meet with our historians here. People like Asa Hillaird, Leonard Jeffries, Turner, Ivan Van Sertima and many more. I have a book of his speech to them and write ups from them about him. After his visit, he mysteriously died in his sleep.

I just learned that Ivan Van Sertima, another profound historian, anthropologist, has alzhiemer. Let us pray for this wonderful warrior who also wrote several incredible books as well. Let us pray for him.

Peace and love.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Whew, Brother OldSoul, you went THERE with that monster bibliography!(smile!) Folks need to print that baby out, and go from there, man!

I notice that our elders seem particularly interested in reading books, not just magazines, newspapers, and discussion board fodder, right Sister PDiane? How do we get young people truly interested in READING BOOKS of the kind and nature posted in this thread???

One thing we should all know is, that poverty is directly related to a lack of education, and African people are in deep poverty all over this country. All of the stats prove that African people who've progressed to a level of financial stability are, in the main, the highly educated among us. Once African Americans stop watching our 70 hours of television a week, and begin to place more emphasis on school work(learning to read, write, and compute, compute, compute!) we can cease worrying about who's coming into this country to "take" what we worked hard for, because we'll OWN OUR OWN.

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Cedric, that's highly commendable, but then, you're a highly commendable young brother... Maybe, you could print out that list that OldSoul provided, and pass it around to other young brothers and sisters??? Wow, what a wonderful world this would be, if our young folks would do more reading on material like this, rather than these magazines with all the clothes, cars, pretty women, and no substance...(smile!) Keep up the great work you're doing, young brother!
    Peace!
    Isaiah

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ..................................It was all in the Spirit. The brotha asked if he could LOOK AT the book. I told him he could look at it, but then he had to give it back by next week. As I walked away from him, my spirit told me to GIVE him that book; invest in him Knowing Himself. I feel better now about giving the book to him rather than letting him look at it.

Thanks for your compliments bro.

CD

9. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    What yall got to say about Books written on African or Black people by white people.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Ibrahim:

I thought John G. Jackson and Michael Bradley were white? And that is besides the point.

If a black man wrote a book on how inspiring Europe is to him (at the same time talking about how bad Africa is to him), How many people would invest in that book?

Why do we HAVE to read books written by white authors anyway? Nothing against white authors (or any other non-Afrikan authors), but you need to know something about black people writing books.

There are people in this world who learn about Shakespeare, Mark Twain, and all those white authors, and they feel as if you need to be like them to be a good reader and/or writer. It makes a BIG difference when you take into account the excellent Afrikan authors there are. How would people feel if they did not read Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 'Letter From the Birmingham Jail?' I can tell you that speaking from experience, there are many blacks who were convinced that they can write well using rhetorical strategies after reading that letter, written by someone who looks just like them, and came from almost the same backgrounds they came from.

When young black men see Michael Jordan, Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James, Emmit Smith, Michael Vick, etc. playing sports very well, then they become convinced that they can play those same sports extremely well too. Now why do you think you don't see a bunch of black hockey players? Or why don't you see many black men in NASCAR? Because they don't see other black men doing big things in those sports, so therefore they are not convinced that they can do well in those sports.

When you see someone of the same origin as you doing something well, you become convinced that you can do the same thing they did.

CD