Black Authors : book expo america

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Alkebulan, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    i hv a ? 4 the group, writer's n particular.

has any1 attended, or planning 2 attend, the bookexpoamerica? this yr it s being held n chi town ( here s the link 2 their site: http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/App/homepage.cfm?moduleid=42&appname=288). they r hving a writer's wkshop on june 2 @ $150. admission, not 2 mention the cost of getting there.

i plan to take some copies of the draft of my 1st fictional novel up there with me & participate n the 'pitch slam breakout', n which authors get 2 min 2 present a synopsis of their work or book proposal. here's what i'd like 2 kno: b/c of the length of my story, i'm estimating printed drafts of my manuscript will probbly cost me b/t $12 - $18 each! how many copies would u suggest i take?

i'd also appreciate any other comments/suggestions from every1 on the cost effectiveness of attending a conference like this (esp. from those hving attended some n the past) and on any other related issue. thanks.

2. posbey

posbey New Member MEMBER

Coordinator of youth empowerment programs.
    Ratings:
    +0
    bea in chicato

I went to BEA in LA last year. It's mainly a place to promote your works. A great place to network and get your new work out. You don't sell anyting, it's mainly a spot to connect with publishers, publishing houses, agents, etc.

Although $150 might be a bit much imagine having a booth which a few friends and I did last year. I rather come in as a attendee which is much cheaper plus you can float around to see others and go to the Black Book Events the day before the event, it is awesome.

As far as how many to bring, bring what you can afford.

Good luck,
    Pam Osbey
    Author, Musings of a Mocha Sistah

3. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi posbey & welcome 2 destee

thanks 4 the tips. i apprreciate the advice from some1 who has attended. i hvn't read a post of urs b4, so, welcome 2 destee. hope u enjoy ur stay. btw, congratulations on the publication of ur book.

thanks again.