Black Relationships : BODY LANGUAGE - SISTERS AND THEIR SIGNALS...

SAMURAI36 said:
BROTHER O, excellent post!!

If you'll humor my thoughts:

I agree, and this was my thought from the onset, after reading her statement.

I think the thing that holds most of us back from getting what we want out of life (barring external circumstances beyond our control), is fear.

Not only do we fear what would happen if we fail to achieve our heart's desire, but I think on some level, we fear what would happen if we do.

This is especially the case for Black people (both men and women); we seem to suffer from that whole notion of "fear of success.

Sister BISABEE's post reminded me of that point; I was trying my best to touch on this in my response, while still being tactful. However, your direct sentiment echoed what I was saying--at least in mind, if not in script.

I was also going to touch on this as well. Nearly every older Black man I know, is trying to run down behind a young skirt. Even my own father, after my mother returned to the Essence.....He's always inquiring about the younger women at his church.....Whenever the older women his age inquire about him, he will entertain them, but only for a short while.

This is a man, in his mid 70's, who has a host of health problems (cancer in remission, severe arthritis, hypertension, etc)....... Yet, he "dates" more women my ages, than I do--go figure.

And his health is another issue:

The older that men get--especially Black men, the worse off they are health-wise. Most Black men, having worked in physically stressful occupations for most of their lives (my father worked construction for 35 years; that's why I refused to do it, and opted for my mother's career legacy, in the healthcare field), and this physical stress tends to bring down the quality of their health considerably.

"Things" don't work as well as they used to, and even when it does, their stamina is never going to be up to par, in comparison to yester-year.

This is the expounded version of your point:

What sense does it make, for an older woman, at her sexual peak, to chase or wait around for a man her age--one who is not looking for a woman his age to begin with, and if he is, he may not possess the ability to satisfy her?

The goal with any relationship, is to seek out that exceptional partner (within realistic limits). But instead, people--especially women--have bought into the "male shortage" crisis, and seem to have adopted the resulting philosophy: "A piece of man is better than no man at all".

If a younger man is actively seeking out an older woman, then he should be seen as being exceptional from the very start; he already possess that "out-of-the-box" thinking, if he is going against social norms with respect to age. He must also already realize (or at least thinks) that he possesses some sort of quality(s) that an older woman would desire or appreciate in him.

Interesting. :?:

My scenario was just the opposite: I was the product of an older mother and a younger father. My Mother (RIP) was 56 years old when she had me (that's right, that was NOT a typo, and you didn't read that wrong). My father was 14 years younger than she was.

I've always grown up around older people in general; all my cousins (mostly female) were usually older than me, and when I lived with my father, all of the people he brought around me (his work buddies, fellow Masons, etc) were obviously older, in his age range.

That's why I've always had a fascination and appreciation for older women.

So very true. Which is why I stated that she might be "Blocking her Blessing".

Don't get me wrong; I've experienced some similar scenarios with older women.

However, I tend to look for the "empty-nester" Sisters, those women whose children (if they even have any) have moved out and on. Many of the women that I encounter, simply want the companionship; they arleady have their own houses, education, and careers established (remember, I'm in a corporate environment, and I'm mostly around corporate women).

True indeed, I feel you on this. These are the worst-case scenarios, that a Younger Brother has to watch out for--but that's no different from what any person should be doing.

Interesting perspective...... I'm wondering if I'll feel the same way, by the time I get that age--assuming I won't be involved with someone at that time.

Interesting idea.......I'd like to explore of these Biblical indescripancies, especially as they apply to our view of how the Bible and religion forms ourvalues, especially as far as relationships are concerned.

Hmm, this is deep......I'd like for you to expound upon this more; particularly in terms of how you think it might play out as far as our people are concerned.

PEACE
Brother Samurai,

Quote:What sense does it make, for an older woman, at her sexual peak, to chase or wait around for a man her age--one who is not looking for a woman his age to begin with, and if he is, he may not posess the ability to satisfy her?

Brother, it makes no sense at all and this is what I have been trying to convey to my sisters for the longest. And the flip side of this is that I have been trying to convey this message to women in my own age group who I may have been attracted to but they were not looking to me but elsewhere, or playing games with me and "leading me on" but i was not interested in playing games with themwhen I was getting more attention from women who were younger. Please dont get me wrong as i have stated before that I dont chase after women. I just put myself in their presence which takes away the argument that I dont exist. lol!!

Now I dont see the quote so I will have to review the latter part again and see what I can do with it..

Okay, now I amy have to hold my tongue on the latter part but i see it like this. As Black men grow older, the ones who become more financially secure and have a greater social and economic mobility also tend to have gone outside of their established social and familial groups which basically puts them in circles where one actually encounters a shortage of available Black women...Why?...because race and gender are stuill dividing lines in american society and "social networking" is key to mobility. For example, while there are large numbers of Black women in the teaching profession what I found was the more specialized my graduate education became and as I combined continuing education programs with extensive leadership training, the numbers of Black women in my classes and at the leadership level, tended to taper off. It also meant that women who I meant that would lose interest when I told them i was a educator, assuming I was a poorly paid educator, did not realize that I was actually in the top 15% of all wage earners because I earned more than twice the Black median income of 30k..My income was closer to the 75k range and this does not include the interest income i was accumulating from stock investment and retirement plans or my Roth IRAs...

So what i am saying is quite logically, if i then as an aspiring filmmaker become part of another network and attend a conference with about 1400 people and non of the panelists or trade show vendors that I meet are Black women, I then find myself working in a new environment in which there are a few Black men such as myself but ZERO Black women. If I then start to date or attend social gatherings essential to networking but there are not any Black women within this network, I think that what I am saying is obvious....

I become forced to adapt to the situation....or, I "die"....

And what this means is that as I grow older, even though I may wish or desire to hook up with a Black woman in my age and economic group and suing the same 'standard" that Black owmen are using, if I do not encounter them what does that say for the "standard"???

Is it reasonable to hold out for someone that does not exist when I am finding myself in situations where I am getting attention from "others" who I may possibly at least be able to form a business partnership??

Waht I am suggesting is that there comes a point where i need to make some concrete decisions based on my present reality and not based on some racial ideal which is based on false notions.....

aglo said:
Brotha Zay,

I know you specifically asked for input from men, but I'd like to offer my perspective on the matter.

I agree that eye contact can be important communication between a man and a woman. I, for one, find it exhilarating and flattering when I get that direct stare into my eyes. But I also find it intimidating, so I usually shift my gaze right away, whether I'm interested or not. Then, if I am interested, I'll try to sneak a few more glances when I think the brotha is not looking. LOL! Writing it makes me see that it truly is a game that we play, but I can't help it--I know for me, it is fear of rejection.

What I would recommend in my case is for a Brotha to not give up on the first few tries to make eye contact--maybe add a slight smile on the second attempt. If the Sista still shifts her gaze after the smile, and does not look your way again, I'd say let it go. But if you catch her checkin you out on the sneak, or whispering something to one of her nearby girls, I'd say go for it! :)

I hope this helps, and that I have not intruded on your convo.

Peace, Fam

Sister Aglo, no, to the contrary, I thank you for your HONEST participation... I don't think sisters realize that men ARE willing to learn whatever it takes to create powerful and positive relationships with women - even if those relationships are of the platonic variety...

The only part I didn't understand about your post was the "intimidation" factor, and where that comes in if, say, you are attracted to a brother??? I must say that if a sister I am attracted to gives me a prolonged gaze, and a smile, that can be emotionally overwhelming, but never is it intimidating... Perhaps, a dopamine/adrenaline rush/overflow, but never intimidating(smile!)

I think, for women, as well as men, such encounters are so powerful that the unfulfilled expectation aspect of it can lead to depression(smile!) The feeling of being so high, and so close and yet so far, can lead to an emotional crash-landing... Having had that experience, I don't get into all of that prolonged gazing unless that tiger is in my tank, and I am not distracted by other issues in my life... Going THERE, and not fulfilling my own expectations for such a moment, would only lead to me compounding the other issues I have...

But, nevertheless, sister, I think your advice to brothers "not to give up after the first few tries" is great motivation, and I appreciate it much... It means that there are actually sisters out here who are looking to make some progress in this area, rather than keep the same old non-working process going on... Thank you, much!

Peace!
Isaiah

I-khan said:
I know it was not directed at me,but this helps explain the current situation I am in right now with a certain woman,thank you SOO much.

Brother I-Khan, you are a young man with a lot of road to cover, so take ya time, and do it right, as we used to say... If it don't fit, don't force it, just relax, and let it FLOW..(smile!) Dealing with women is not a clinical process... It is not natural, as it were, though, because we human beings have made it so political...

That's why, in order to make the process fun and fulfilling, it pays to just live and learn as you go, and develop your own style - the one that fits your personality... If you aren't superfly, don't try it... Believe me, you can still be mad intelligent(as you are!)and eloquent, and elegant, and you WILL evenutally attract to you, the sister who loves all that good stuff about you... Remember, you will attract to you, a sister who loves that special something you posess... That goes for any man...

The problem I've found, my brother, is that we all seem to want someone else... We don't want the person who wants us... It's weird, man, but that just seems to be the human condition... That's why we want sisters who want bad boys, and when we don't get that kinda woman, we are upset... Meanwhile, Ms Plain Jane wants us, but she's too plain..(smile!) Brother, take it from a person who, I believe, has seen the miraculous irony of life - the stuff that tells you GOD has a sense of wild humorLOL Ms. Plain Jane IS that same chick who wants the badboy, only she dresses differently, and doesn't talk as loudLOL! Meditate on that for a few, because it could change the way you see plain jane the next time she crosses your path...(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Bisabee said:
I'm 44 but I tend to attract attention from younger men moreso than men around my age. For ex. I was at a department store last week and one of the guys at the register who looked like he was about 30 kept staring at me. I could feel his eyes on me, and I was nervous, mainly because I'm just getting back into dating, but also because I haven't decided whether I want to go there with someone who's that much younger, cause what would I do with a 30-year old? LOL!!

Anyway, I finally looked directly at him and flashed him a smile and he was smiling his most dazzling smile. Well, it was either do or die at that point, so I guess I died because I picked up my sales slip and walked away. I could feel him watching me as I left. Sometimes, at a point like that, you're not sure how to move it smoothly from that point to where you want it to go.
Hmmm, Sister B.Bee, that's an interesting phenomenon, good-looking 44-year old Black woman attracts 30-something year old Black man.... Hmmmm, that's so unusualLOL!

Sister Bee, I remember that when I was in my 20's I always thought 30-something year old Black Women were THE ULTIMATE FEMALE, because they carried themselves so much more confidently than younger sisters... They seemed to know who they were, and they still looked young and sexy and beautiful... What I didn't know at 20-something was that some of these 30-something Black women were actually 40-something, because when you're that young, you really can't wrap your head around how a 40-something year old person really looks... You only THINK you know how they're SUPPOSED to look, which is like a 65-year oldLOL! And back in our day, maybe a 40-something person DID think they were all washed up with the conditioning the society put on 'em...

Thank God, this is a new day... Our generation looks and oft acts, much younger.. That is what this young guy probably saw in you... Someone who probably looks a lot younger than he would suppose you are if you told him your age... Plus, your BODY LANGUAGE probably sent that brother some messages he couldn't resist... Aw, hell, he coulda even been older than you think he isLOL! Black Don't Crack, sister BEE, you know that!LOL!

I'm with brother O on the Adapt or Die piece... If we aren't going to expand our boundaries a litle, we will ultimately miss out on a passel of great experiences that will enrich our time on this earth... Since you are dating, sister BEE, you should know that you might have meet a few suitors before you decide on the right guy.. Sounds like fun times ahead for you, to meLOL
!

Peace!I
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back