Black Poetry : Blues Sanger

i know a little something 'bout them southern moves...and this here will stir up some stuff. NICE. i also know a little something 'bout running from your calling. being the grandson of a baptist minister, and because of my PUSH in the church, it was expected...i was expected to go there. i still feel the pull...still hear the call...every time i sit down with someone and start discussing the good book. it's an awesome feeling. in another life...

Brother Poet NittyGrit,

This piece is simply wonderful. It is bluesy and truly sings. It is rich with history and delightful details about the subject's initial journey away from his roots and then eventually back to them. The imagery is stark. I could see, feel, touch: the subject, his family members, his lowlife friends, church members and even the unspoken city dwellers. The dusty road he traveled kicked its dirt up in my face. There is so much here that I will revisit over and over again. I love every line but especially, "let the church say a man." This line is inventive and has staying power. I will remember it forever. Beautiful sermon. Thanks for sharing.

(smile)

Your feedback is invaluable! I don't take for granted the time you spend dissecting my pieces. The fact that you called this poem a sermon is....profound on so many levels.

Given the respect I have for your pen, I'm inspired that my humble kites garnish this attention. I sincerely thank you for the encouraging remarks.

i know a little something 'bout them southern moves...and this here will stir up some stuff. NICE. i also know a little something 'bout running from your calling. being the grandson of a baptist minister, and because of my PUSH in the church, it was expected...i was expected to go there. i still feel the pull...still hear the call...every time i sit down with someone and start discussing the good book. it's an awesome feeling. in another life...

Baller,

In all my writings the objective is to connect the audience in way that relates and speaks to them on a personal level. In my opinion, the crescendo of any body of artistic work for this connection to move them in some way. Your feedback embodies this objective. It moved you to offer feedback...and it also moved you to reflect on your calling.

I hope this scribe encourages you to revist that calling. Take it from me...the whisper of the spirit and how it tugs at your heart strings never goes away. I've accepted the calling, now its just a matter of finding my pulpit....God never said it would be inside a church house.

I look forward to hearing more about that "other life"

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back