Black Relationships : Blue Collar Blues

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by CarrieMonet, Sep 20, 2004.

1. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Understandably, some people prefer to date their professional equal, fearing a "blue collar" partner might feel inadequate in the relationship. But seeking a relationship should not be about money, but about love and compatibility. Some people think that there are those who chose to settle for certain types of jobs instead of going to college. But postal workers, administrative assistants, factory workers, garbage men, make a decent salary.

What do you think? Are there some people out there blocking potential love by limiting their prospects? Is it okay to seek a mate based on their job title?

2. Solo

Solo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Tech Support for an ISP
    Ratings:
    +4
    You know I don't care. A woman could work at McDonalds...I just want love. Who cares where she works as long as it's legal.

3. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    I think it is more an issue for women to date below their level. I dont think men care. NOBODY should base relationships on degrees, income, or type of work. I would date/marry any hard working woman who sets goals for herself and goes for them....it dont matter how much formal education or what type of job or how lofty the goals. As long as she is driven and we make sense as a couple (personality)...its all good to me.

4. CarrieMonet

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I guess this question is more about evaluating what you see out there..not necessarily who you would date and why?

Do you think OTHERS limit their options by checking job titles?

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I THINK MANY DO BASE IT ON WHAT THE OTHER HAVE OR DO FOR A LIVING
    BUT I WOULD NEVER GO IN LOOKING AT WHAT JOB OR TITLE THEY HAVE BUT
    THE MORALS OF THEIR PERSONALITY , THE STANDERS OF FACTS IF WE HAVE
    ANYTHING IN COMMON BUT NOT ONLY DO WOMEN LOOK AT THE POCKET SO DO BROTHERS

6. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Oh, yeah, people seriously limit their options by checking job titles. When I was 16, I made a list of everything my man HAD to have when I got married. Now that I'm almost 25, I find myslef re-evaluating a lot. I guess my question now is "does he have a job?" instead of "how much does he make?" There are good brothers walking around that work for UPS, Fed-Ex, in any of the automotive plants, the phone company, the cable company... But plenty of women (I'm using women because I AM a woman) overlook these brothers because they're not maing 6 figures and driving a Benz.....

7. CarrieMonet

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Toylin,
    Funny thing is...I rarely ask if someone is working or where they work. I am also bad at asking how old people are, which is why I meet so many men who are 10 years younger than me. I usually get caught up in having conversations with people and just don't get around to asking those things.

8. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    I hear you, girl. Sometimes, i don't bother asking much, either. But being that i'm 24, I get 17,18 year olds hanging around me, or I got 45-55 year olds telling me I need a sugar daddy. So, I have a tendency to ask. The job thing? Usually i ask when brother starts talking about his money, his car, and whether or not he lives with his parents. If he says something like, "Man, I hate my job.." I ask what he does. I almost never come out of the blue asking him where he works/what he does/how much he makes. That's disrespectful.

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think men don't really care as long as you're a good woman. I think women tend to focus on what they are getting into financially even before they know if the guy is a good man or not. I don't think a woman wants to date someone that makes less than them because women seem to have this attitude like "I can do bad by myself". Not all of course :x: I think it's sad because no matter what your income is...you're not better than anyone else...but many forget that. I don't care as long as you're a good woman and you're constantly working on being a better person. Money is not important.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    hey, i'm looking for a sugar daughter :wink: