Black People : "Bling, Bling" - The Murder of Our People, pt. 1

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Pharaoh Jahil, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Pharaoh Jahil

Pharaoh Jahil Well-Known Member MEMBER

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    "Bling, Bling" - The Murder of Our People, pt. 1
    Eyecalone, September 22, 2002

I've seen some pretty ignorant and bizarre things in music over the last few years, but of all the things I've witnessed today's “Bling-Bling” syndrome has to be the worst. Sometimes I wonder where the hell this absurd obsession with diamond jewelry came from. I mean flossin' and frontin' have always played a part in rap but this **** is ridiculous! You can't even blame a region because the obsession is everywhere, East, West, South, Midwest, and everywhere between. You've all heard it; the jewelry praises roll off forked tongues from Roc-A-Fella to the Hot-Boyz. Nowadays rappers make songs in tribute to Diamonds (“Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend” - Jay-Z), spend better than 50 thousand dollars on a single piece of jewelry, and then insult their fans (the people who paid for that jewelry) about being broke. Ain't that about a *****!? The more I think about the more I think that these rappers just must not know any better.

“You know the wrist frost bit, minus two degrees/about as blue as the sea”

I can't help but wonder, what if Jay-Z knew that for more than a century the men controlling the diamond industry have been hardcore racists, some of whom were the founding fathers of Apartheid, and ruthlessly exploited black Africans as well as others. The Dutch, Germans, British, as well as other tribes of Europeans had come to Africa to pull, what today we would call a jack move. Many Europeans had convinced themselves that Africans and other non-whites were inferior people and many of the rest would do so later to justify their immoral actions. From this situation the racial segregation system of Apartheid was born, in South Africa, as well as similar social orders in other parts of Africa.

Cecil Rhodes, for whom Rhodesia (modern day Zimbabwe) was named essentially started the diamond industry back in the 1880's diamond rush when he “purchased” the farm of Dutch Boer farmers Deiderick Arnoldus & Johannes DeBeers. This farm would eventually turn into one of the largest mines in Africa at the time (DeBeers currently has a mine 3 times the size of New Jersey called the “Forbidden Zone”). Rhodes then went on to “buy” several other mines until he controlled 90% of the world's gemstones. Shortly after that Ernest Oppenheimer made a large discovery of diamonds in “German Southwest Africa”, that rivaled the Rhodes mines. Oppenheimer threatened to flood the market with diamonds and drive the price down if Rhodes did not make him chairman of DeBeers (which was Rhodes' Company at the time). Oppenheimer's company had financial investment from British investors and J.P. Morgan so it was called Anglo-American. Today, diamonds are a multi-billion dollar industry and most of them come from Southern African countries, yet black Africans from these countries remain some of the poorest people in the world.

“Every time I come around your city “Bling Bling” - Pinky ring worth about 50 “Bling Bling”

What if the Hot Boyz knew that from those early days up until now, the profits from the diamond industry were and continue to be one of the most important factors in upholding the region’s racist policies and white minority rule? The best example is in South Africa. Once diamonds were discovered, the South African government instituted policies designed to force black Africans off their land and into the diamond mines to work in conditions similar to slavery. This was accomplished by the government creating new taxes on virtually everything from land to pets. In order to get money to pay the taxes black Africans had no choice but to work in the mines. For all their moral talk foreign investors, mainly in America and Europe, played a key role in upholding the South African government and economy, and similar ones throughout southern Africa.

Please click the link below to read the rest of this article.

http://www.guerrillafunk.com/thoughts/doc694.html

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    SO RIGHT!... You did your research well.

Those blingers as we should call them.. don't care who's blood spilled. That diamond will be all he has to keep him out of bankruptcy down the road.

3. true love

true love Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    i agree with Hodee...very good research...and i'm so glad you bought this to the forum...i can't believe the way people are going crazy over shiny stuff like crows! it's so bad that they even sale the fake necklaces in gas stations so that people can pretend they are bling-blinging! it's ridiculous...and even if they knew this info you're giving us pharaoh, they probably would not care...that's how materialistic we are as a people...it's gotta stop!

4. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Im not trippin' off the hiphop really. Im angered that how could Americans be so stupid to what is happing in Africa. For every diamond these rappers buy, there's a dead African. WE KEEP THE RACIST DIAMOND COMPANY IN BUSINESS. Our continental sistas and brothas are working themselves to death just so we could be so materialistic and much of it is 'forced' labor. It's all taken in blood.

5. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ashe...

@ Pharaoh Jah>>> *namaste*

I am completely feelin' ya, Teacherman. :teach:

I myself contemplate sometimes what is the reasoning behind the madness you have brought up in this thread. I know personally a rap artist whom I have questioned about the materialistic fanaticism in rap (including his own, to a milder degree). He has told me that "we gotta give the people what they want", also saying in not so many words that not everything he writes/raps is really from the heart, but simply in line with what will draw the largest audience. Don't ya worry, I chastise 'em every chance I get (in a nice, tactful manner).
    Another thing however, is that alot of the rappers really AREN'T AWARE of the underpinnings of the diamond industry, big clothing labels, big business in general and etc. ALOT of them truly DON'T KNOW history, and I strongly suspect that SOME of them would change course if they were given the facts.

I think we all have a personal responsibility to try and reach the folk we know personally who are on that ig'nant tip. Not ignorant (for we ALL posess some level of ignorance), but IG'NANT (unaware, and not seeking knowledge). I personally push conscious hiphop onto these folk every chance I get. If ya gonna be riding with me, you're going to be hearing Dead Prez, Canibus, Jedi Mind Tricks and any other CD that is presently on the market dropping conscious lyrics.

Another strategy that needs to be used is that those Hip Hop artists who have managed to make a name for themselves (such as Dead Prez) are going to need to incorporate some of this type of knowledge (that you have broached here, Pharaoh Jah) in their music. It is not enough to dis those who are bling-blinging, they need to be more specific about why the bling blinging is so foolish, self-destructive, detrimental to our society & culture as well as PanAfrican culture.

Asante sana Pharaoh Jah for the article/thread, and I am truly empathizing with your righteous indignation, Love.

Nia

6. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Nia, thanx for you input. I believe it is no excuse for a rapper to remain ig'nant of world affairs. They become so caught up in la la land that they loose touch with reality. Conscious rappers appear to be really aware of what's happening because they educate themselves. Which makes me wonder, do rappers read?

7. Pharaoh Jahil

College Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Brother I..simple answer.....Rappers have the most influence on our youth. Someone who has such a power, I would expect more from them.......oh and yeah, Im playa hatin' LOL

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bling bling murder