Black Positive People : Blacks without Borders

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by Zulile, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Chasing the American Dream on Foreign Soil

The film chronicles 12 modern day globetrotters who have uprooted their lives in pursuit of their dreams and are finding that America is not the only land of opportunity. After two trips to South Africa and over 50 hours of footage, the film provides a candid and touching tale of sacrifice, hardship and great rewards by U.S. born citizens such as Cora Vaughn, a Chicago attorney who walked away from over a million dollar a year law practice to open up a bed & breakfast down the street from Nelson Mandela, James Prevost who came to South Africa with nothing and revolutionized the comedy industry and Charles Henderson a heroin addict at age 16 who became a Harvard graduate and now owns one of the most successful businesses in South Africa.

20 Four 7 Productions has been involved in producing innovative programming for over a decade. Award winning producer director Stafford U. Bailey has earned a reputation for producing informative as well as visually stimulating programs that have aired nationally. While in South Africa in 2005, Bailey saw a growing number of African Americans relocating to the region. Following further research, he discovered that African Americans chasing the American dream on foreign soil was on the rise and no major documentary covering this topic was being made or was planned. So, in 2006 he began production for a series of documentaries that explores this trend.

"There is a vast group of African Americans that are under-served, that are tired of the reality shows and music video programming that floods our TV screens," said Bailey. "We want to show that there are many African Americans making great strides not just here in the United States but around the world."

http://www.filmmaker.co.za/readarticle.php?article_id=1954

2. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
  3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
  4. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
  5. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
  6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    wish them well, and all, but still ..

African Americans chasing the "american dream" in south Africa. why does "apartheid part 2" run through my head?

could not somebody have called it something else? it seems to be kinda dead over here so export/exploit it over there? why not Kenya, ... oh, wait: south Africa "used" to be white anyway, though, so i guess it kinda figures ... smh

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

Thanks for this.

8. Zulile

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    anAfrican - what do you expect? Do you believe that to return to Africa you need to be ready to draw water from a well in rural Kenya? If you did.. wouldn't your first instinct be to build a piping system? ;) Or.. should one find a community in rural Chad and have your kids herding sheep at age 5? or would you prefer to build a fence, practice crop rotation so your kids can go to a school you plan to build?

for those of us who like the modern gadgets - high speed internet and air conditioning ;) in Africa - Why would we prefer to create business and money for white people and their economies instead of our own on the Continent in more developed countries like SA, Ghana, Nigeria etc? all who have been 'white' at one stage...

More importantly, I ask you - Is Africa a location or a state of mind? Is it just a dream or just your name? something else, perhaps? You comments confuse me somewhat...

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
  10. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    mostly, i guess, for me, it's a "State of the Heart". if there were some way to get to the Ancient Elders that still may be alive, i'd love to document some of their wisdom. or any "undiscovered"/unspoiled civilizations that might still be hanging on around this poor beleaguered planet.

i just don't like much of anything that has come out of america, or has it in it's name/heart/style/actions. it's coming to mean to me too much of the root/cause of the planetary/ecological desecration that has just about everything on this planet in a really bad way. i'd only appreciate seeing "made in america" exported to the Marianas trench.

i've always wanted to get as far away from this place as possible, but "history" has shown that as soon as something somewhere turns out to be "better", Uncle Silly has to run in and mess it up.

just waiting for my pine box ... unless we get to some "skyscraper building". (a reference to an old thread/discussion.) pardon (or not) my pessimism.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. blacks without borders 2016