Black People : Blacks with Whites - In The Media

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

I recently watched this movie, 100 Rifles, that starred Jim Brown, Raquel Welch, and Burt Reynolds. The movie was released in 1969, at which time, Jim Brown was 33 years old (born 1936).

I was really surprised to see a Black Man and White Woman in a "love scene," back in 1969.

Oh my gosh, Jim Brown is oh so very fine in this movie!

Raquel Welch said to him, in the movie, "You are my man. I am your woman, for as long as you want me." :puke:

My heart sunk of course, seeing him with this White woman, but that's not the point of this thread.

During Brother OldSoul's class on Sunday, many present agreed that the media (television, movies) is really pushing this Black Man / White Woman relationship ... in lieu of Black Men / Black Women.

So i thought it would be a good idea if we all added the names of movies or television shows, that we're aware of, that feature such unions.

Sister BlakLioness mentioned in class, that it seems Black Men / White Women relationships are being normalized, while Black Men / Black Women is being abnormalized in our psyche, with the presentation of so much of this.

We need to share examples of this happening, where we're seeing it, and how often it's occurring. This will allow us to be more conscious of it, and provide an opportunity to reject these attempts to normalize this behavior.

So ... if you know of movies, tv programs, etc., that feature Black Men / White Women in "intimate relationships" ... please share the titles and actors.

What's the first American-made movie, that features a Black Man / White Woman (intimate) relationship? Was it Sidney Poitier and the Blind Chick, or Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (1967), or some other movie?

This is not an indictment of Black Men, simply pointing out what's being put on us.

I don't really watch a lot of tv or movies, so i'm sure i'll be shocked at all of the examples shared in this thread.

Thanks Family.

:heart:

Destee

ps ... i must mention the fact that Jim Brown was 33 years old during the filming of this movie. An icon in the Black community. A young Warrior. The impact of him gett'n busy with this White woman, had to be tremendous on young Black men, which was no accident i'm sure. I was really surprised that the White leading man (Burt Reynolds, no less), didn't get the beautiful White woman (Raquel Welch)!

2. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Quote-Sister BlakLioness mentioned in class, that it seems Black Men / White Women relationships are being normalized, while Black Men / Black Women is being abnormalized in our psyche, with the presentation of so much of this.

Reply-This is crazy to me
    I can never understand any man wanting to date a white woman
    When you see a black woman features like no other
    White woman no assets
    Barely enough lip to kiss with exception of angelina jolie
    I will never talk outside of my race
    Black woman are so beautiful
    Just OMG fine well some are
    But if you talk outside your race
    Have you in turn cheated on your own people??

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Destee:

I’ve noticed the same thing, although this portrayal isn’t limited to just black males and white females. The media also has been extremely aggressive at promoting black female/white male relationships, especially in recent years. In addition to this the media often portrays black couples as problematic: Constantly dealing with issues of fidelity, financial struggles, or personality clashes (constant arguing). The combination of these two images sends a not so subtle message to black people that they will only be happy with a white spouse/mate.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Tantrum ... thank you for this!

Thanking our Ancestors and Creator for Brothers like you! :love:

Brother Pan ... certainly it happens with Black Women and White Men too, but on a much lesser scale. Wouldn't you agree? I can think of only one movie right off the top, that featured a Black Woman and White Man, and that is the more recent Halle Berry and Billy Bob Thornton (if that's his name) movie. I never saw it, but i surely heard about it.

We can certainly use this thread to list all like movies, programs, etc.

With so much of this in the media, Black Men / White Women, it can't help but be more prevalent in our communities. It's being pushed into our sub-conscious, and manifesting itself in our lives. It's by design, not accident. Black Men are the strength of the Black community. The protectors, providers, so many things ... and if they are moved out, as is happening ... the community dies.

Yes, let's list all movies, programs, etc., that feature Black / White relationships.

Pan ... can you share the names of programs, that feature Black Women / White Men relationships?

Again, this is not an indictment of the Sisters and Brothers that play these roles. We are all living under the weight of racism, and often we do things that we don't like, in order to feed our Families. We are all affected by this, to some degree or another.

If we know what is happening, we can counter it, inside of ourselves ... as we go through.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Destee:

No I don’t believe black male/white female relationships are promoted more than black female/white male relationships. I believe both are equally promoted. Obviously as a black woman, you are more in tune to black male/white female relationships being shown on TV/Movies. However black female/white male relationships can be seen in such shows/movies as “Guess Who”, “Girlfriends”, “Friends”, “One on One”, “A Different World”, "Alley McBeal", etc…there are really too many to mention. This is just shows off the top of my head! I’m not much of a TV/Movie watcher anyway, but I’m sure someone can give you a list which is much longer than mine.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Pan ... in naming the movies ... Girlfriends, Friends, One on One, A Different World ... please name the actors if you can. We need to know who these people are, i believe. Just to make it more concrete in our minds, of what is happening, and why, providing ourselves as much detail as possible.

I do remember seeing that Black Woman with the White Man on Friends though! That was weird, was she like the only Black person ever on that show??!!

You may be right, i may notice the Black Men / White Women more, and likewise the same could be said for you. It will be interesting to see just how much of it is on both sides ... since neither of us really know (are able to present the numbers i mean).

I do hope the Family will share the titles and authors, so we can begin compiling the stats! :)

Destee

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You want me to name the actors/actresses too? I ain’t got that much time Destee! Seriously I wasn’t into the shows that much to get that in depth. However you can trust that those shows and more (I didn’t even get deep into movies) all had black female/white male relationships. The promotion of interracial coupling truly targets black men and women equally. However the damaging messages sent affect both the same. That should be our focus, not who is getting down more!

8. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Personally, in the greater scheme of white supremacy, I see the phenomena as Black and nonblack----the idea is to destroy the Black race through the separation of Black women and Black men by making our natural love for one another seem abnormal. I've seen ads recently for Usher in some movie with a nonblack love interest---don't know the name and don't care because I will not 'usher' out one black dollar to see that garbage. Right as of this moment any other titles elude me, because if I see that madness being perpetuated, I turn it off. The only way the media can invade our minds is if we keep letting them.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Pan ... yes, i'd like for as many of us who can, to name names. I understand if you can't, or don't have time, that's fine. I don't know many names myself. Hopefully some Family Members will be able to add this dimension to the discussion.

Pan, i do trust that those shows (and more) are as you described. I am slow to agree though, that the portrayal of interracial coupling in the media, is the same for Black Men as it is for Black Women. I believe Black Men are portrayed in this role more often. At this point, we can only wait to see what the results of this thread presents, unless you have a verifiable source we can view, that substantiates your position?

Yes, i'm with you on the damage it does to us collectively. That is the focus and purpose of this thread.

Destee

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister Blak ... an Usher movie ... ??!!! ... * sigh * ... i did a little search Sister, and whatever his co-star is, she aint Black ... as is evidenced by Usher's own words, in this interview, promoting the movie, "In The Mix":

Yes Sister ... Black People with non-Black people, that's the bigger picture, and all examples are welcome.

Thanks for sharing.

Destee