Blacks mistrust health care system: study

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by dustyelbow, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Blacks mistrust health care system: study

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:02 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Black Americans are more likely than whites to distrust the health care system, in part because a lack of insurance forces them into emergency rooms or clinics where they build up no rapport with doctors and nurses, researchers said on Monday.

A national survey of 432 blacks and 522 whites found the former "were significantly more likely than whites to report low trust in health care providers," wrote Chanita Hughes Halbert of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and colleagues.

The survey found low levels of trust among nearly 45 percent of blacks compared to 33.5 percent of whites. Trust is important, the researchers said, because it influences the degree to which patients follow doctors' orders.

The lowest level of trust among blacks was found in those who sought care somewhere other than in a doctor's office, according to the survey, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

"The interpersonal relationship between patients and health care providers is a critical component of patient trust," Hughes Halbert and colleagues wrote.

They said it was possible the "environmental characteristics of hospital emergency departments," known for their frequent shift changes and harried staff, may interfere with doctor-patient relationships.

The survey did not find the race of the health care providers was a factor in the distrust found among black Americans.

"This suggests that increased access to health care in settings where there is greater opportunity to develop effective interpersonal relationships with providers, regardless of the provider's racial or ethnic background, may improve trust," the report reads.

But getting access to those more personal and private settings is a significant challenge for blacks because they are less likely than whites to have insurance coverage and more likely to rely on public programs.

Training designed to improve communication with patients may be needed for providers to help both black and white patients, the report concluded, but it may be especially important to focus such efforts on those working in settings more likely to be used by black patients.

The survey figures did not list a margin of error.

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I don't carew what they say...

...and Cornel West titled his book.... RACE MATTERS.

I think when it comes to trust, it depends on how people relate to one another. If both are respectful to each other, then trust can be developed between the patient and their care provider.

But, I have to admit...in the back of my mind, I'm thinking about the Tuskegee Experiment when I visit a doctor. :(

3. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    Exactly my thoughts to,I have no reason to trust them.

4. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    We can't let this attitude stop us from receiving health care when we need it though. Too many of us, especially men, are too slow to go to the doctor and the problem is not caught until it is too severe to be treated.

I always go to the doctor, but I am cautious about what they tell me. Either way, I need someone to tell me if I have cancer or another life-threatening illness. While I may differ with their proposed course of treatment, I need someone to detect it.

I go to a western doctor for annual check-ups as well as a holistic doctor to help with my well-being. Both have their limitations, so it is ultimately up to us as individuals to be responsible for our own health.

Just my two cents...

5. MyTlita

MyTlita Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    For a long time I avoided going to the doctor, seriously all I could see was getting stabbed with a needle. As I got older I have realized that it is important for me to go to the doctor when I think I am having a health problem, but it has to be a doctor that I trust. Even then I don't take everything they tell me at face value. I do my research on the condition and I go to Whole Foods or a Vitamin store to see what I can do to cure the condition NATURALLY.

6. sugarsthatheal

sugarsthatheal Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    The more we distrust the longer we live. The #1 killer of people in the US is properly prescribed meds (drugs) not mistakes.