Black People : Blacks Hold Each Other Back

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dustyelbow, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Blacks Hold Each Other Back

posted June 20, 2006

I was reading about some of the things that are going in Chattanooga and in other places in today's society. Us, and by "us" I mean blacks, as a people have come a long way but gotten nowhere.

Most of the struggles that were fought by the generations before us have been tainted. Today's society is not against us, we are against ourselves, holding each other back from achieving and moving forward due to the way we disrespect our culture and background. Honestly, I feel that we do what is expected, and, when we become successful, we allow ourselves to be used.

We, and again "we" as in blacks, today for some reason drag each other down, our own race, colored against colored instead of lifting ourselves to strengthen our communities and culture so we can become stronger as a people.

We are losing life's battles and it’s starting with our households and education. It’s not mainly young adults raising young adults, it’s immature young adults raising young adults. We are short stopping ourselves from success, lacking basic skills of survival.

Education is a must, regardless of how much it's liked, loved or hated. We need role models who don’t have 26-inch rims, gold jewelry, and millions of dollars. We need to target our youth and equip them with skills needed for life. Things like optimistic thinking, a passion for hard work, ambition, goals, direction, and a knowledge for our past.

Us as a people have a long way to go. We are living life blindfolded, living life with only ears and a sense of touch, scared of the things that don’t scream at us and are out of arms reach. We have run out of time, it’s past due. These things need to happen now or else we will continue to move backwards and only take baby steps forward.

Community is where it starts. We need to strengthen our environments and, most important, love ourselves and give up this ignorant thinking and this simple way of living. Let’s teach our boys how to become men, and young ladies to become women. We lack respect.

Our men lack respect for themselves and women, our own black women. Our women have lost respect and trust for men as well as themselves...and this is for us as a people. Blacks. No exceptions.

Christopher Knox
    [email protected]

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    um, i have some land in florida that i want to talk to you about.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

"No exceptions."

Wow.

:cook:
    I need a vacation!

4. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

FLATFOOTFLOOGIE Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2

The sweeping generalizations my Mr. Knox are what rob the article of any credibility - particularly that last two words. Utterly absurd. On to the next issue.

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    if the shoe don't fit, don't try to wear it ...

6. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    blacks hold each other back...

i agree 1000% with the article,we're like the alcoholic who blames everybody but himself for his down fall,and i think that if i hear one more[WELL IF THE WHITEMAN DIDN'T DO THIS AN THAT TO US,BLAH BLAH BLAH]i'll scream,when we as a people thoughtlessly do things that we KNOW are wrong who can we blame?

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    WELL IF THE WHITEMAN DIDN'T DO THIS AN THAT TO US WE WOULDN"T BE HAVING THIS CONVO.........

8. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    blacks...

james you remind me of myself..always pushin the envelop[EXCUSE ME WHILE I SCREAM]AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    don't you feel better now?

10. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118

When we as a people can recite and remember Jay-Z, then turn around and forget the above as truth, you know our priorities are screwed:thinking: