Black People : Blacks Hear Better Than Whites: Study

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Jun 17, 2006.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Study: Blacks Hear Better Than Whites

ATLANTA (AP) -- Black adults hear better than white adults, a government study found. The study also found that women hear better than men, and that overall, hearing in the United States is about the same as it was 35 years ago, despite the advent of ear-blasting devices such as the Walkman and the iPod. Previous research reached similar findings about racial and sex differences, but the new study by scientists with the federal National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health was the largest national sample to report such a finding, experts in acoustics said.

The racial difference may be related to melanin, a skin pigment. Some scientists believe black people's larger amounts of melanin protect them from noise-induced hearing loss as the years go by, study researcher William Murphy said. Scientists suspect melanin plays a role in how the body removes harmful chemical compounds caused by damage to the sensitive hair cells in the inner ear.

Genetics or the amount of noise exposure may explain the difference between women and men, said Elliott Berger, an Indianapolis-based hearing protection expert. "Boys have typically done noisier activities," Berger said.

The conclusion that the nation's overall hearing has not changed since the early 1970s seems to contradict other recent research finding that modern teenagers do not hear as well as children did in the age before mobile listening devices, Berger said. "You'd think society is noisier now - iPods are ubiquitous," Murphy saiid.

The study, reported at a scientific conference last week, looked at more than 5,000 people who had hearing tests from 1999 through 2004 as part of a comprehensive, annual federal health survey that includes physical examinations. The 10- to 20-minute hearing test involves wearing headphones and pressing a button when a tone is heard. Both frequency and loudness, or decibels, are measured. People who can hear higher-frequency tones are better at differentiating certain sounds, such as "list" versus "lisp," Murphy said.

On average, the 1,077 non-Hispanic blacks in the study could hear higher tones at 15 to 22 decibels, the study found. The 1,245 Mexican Americans could hear high-end tones at 16 to 25 decibels, on average. The 2,518 non-Hispanic whites could hear high-end tones at 21 to 32 decibels, on average, Murphy said. Women on average were more sensitive to higher frequency tones. They could heard higher tones at 11 to 22 decibels, compared with 19 to 32 decibels for men.

Overall, the results were mostly the same as in hearing tests done from 1971 to 1975, Murphy said.

By MIKE STOBBE Associated Press June 15, 2006
    Story

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    wow.....What a "STUDY!" (lol)

But, I'm not surprised to "hear" that White folks don't hear so well.

Maybe that's why they always gettin' so CLOSE up on ya when they're talkin' to you....And when you back up, they MOVE UP. :cool:

Maybe they do this cuz they can't hear well and think errbody else can't hear well either. :10500:

3. blackloyalist

blackloyalist Member MEMBER

manager of support
    Ratings:
    +20
    Oldsoul,

It is interesting that yet another study shows the importance of Melanin. i am seeing study after study here explaining how and why Black People are naturally Superior in so many ways.

It also reinforces my own positive experiences in which Black People have been better listeners and provided wise counsel.

as a corporate manager i always seek opinions before engaging any new policies or procedures and my Black Employees can always be relied upon to listen and respond with thoughtful insight.

Again, thanks for this post.

Regards,
    Dennis

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

Dennis, you break the mold my friend:), for real...Peace In, blackloyalist.

5. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Have you ever wondered why it is that white people over look this? Why it is that white people, particularly in high standing positions, take this fact for granted?

I too notice that when ever I go into an establishment, the white supervisors really don't know anything about the job, and they are always calling on the black person who does not get paid as much as they do to show them the ropes. Even after being showed the ropes so many times, the white person still does not get it. I think the white person not getting it is largely due to whites being privledged. Why should they take out the time to actually learn anything, when they are the privledged people? I dunno, that's just my opinion.

Astrologer4U

6. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I do know this.

I have been hearing the things that whites have been saying about blacks for a very long time.

But whites have not been hearing what we've been trying to tell them.

7. blackloyalist

manager of support
    Ratings:
    +20
    i often wonder this. there is so much wisdom and ability among Black People and i cannot understand why it is not relied upon more. i can only speak from my own experience.

i also try to learn from the exchanges with my Black Employees and even sit down and perform the function with them if that is the type of thing they are advising.

i agree that whites are too privileged and do not appreciate others more. Evidence after evidence here suggests that Black People are Superior in so many ways. I am happy that I am allowed to come here and learn and hopefully I can learn to appreciate and promote Black People in my own life.
    Thanks very much for Your reply. I hope things continue to change and things are set more right.

Respectfully,
    dennis

8. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

Oh but the wisdom of black people is relied upon, very much so but the wisdom has been exploited. Whites have either stolen the wisdom and claimed it as their own, or they have either used the wisdom and paid blacks a minimal amount for their wisdom. This has been happening for a long time and not to just black people but to all melanated peoples of the world.

Astrologer4U

9. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I would, myself, never consider myself as "superior". And I might be mistaken on this one, but I would hope that my ancestors would feel the same way, that they were not better or above anyone else. If I had to choose a word that would categorize myself as a black man, it would be "enlightened".

10. blackloyalist

manager of support
    Ratings:
    +20
    agreed

Kamau47,

i agree that whites have not been hearing and i'm honestly not sure why unless they feel threatened. this is also not a reason nor is it acceptable.

we should do show proper respect and give approriate credit and attention to smart good people of any race. we must also however learn to recognize the wisdom which i believe takes opening up to acceptance of it.

thank You,
    dennis