Jails / Prisons : Blacks, Drugs, and the Prison System

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by karmashines, Apr 8, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Yesterday on Oprah the topic was life in prison. During the first half-hour of the show, Oprah talked about the experience of three surburban housewives who volunteered to spend a day in prison. So you saw in detail what it's like in a woman's prison, and it wasn't pretty.

But then during the second half of the show Oprah delved into life in a male prison and it was terrifying! Racism, rape, beatings, and murder was what one would have to look forward to. It is a wonder how anyone could survive in an environment like that both physically and emotionally.

Now, as I was watching this, I thought society shouldn't have sympathy for those who commit crimes, but then I started thinking further. A lot of blacks are in prison for the non-violent offense of dealing and/or taking drugs. In fact, some of the women that the housewives met in prison were there because of drugs. This phenemon sickens me. Many blacks, who weren't truly criminals in the first place, are tossed into prison because they got caught taking drugs, a crime that really only hurts oneself. Then they get burned down even further because prison life doesn't really encourage rehabilitation.

Don't get me wrong... criminals should be punished, but after watching yesterday's Oprah, I think society needs to reevaluate how we go about this, ESPECIALLY for those that commit non-violent, drug-related offenses. These people need professional help, not prison, but the only reason they're not getting it is because they're black. Rich whites who take drugs are taken to rehab, while poor blakcs are put in the slammer. The latter group are not given any type of counseling or anything to help them deal with the problems that lead them to take the drugs in the first place! Instead, they are thrown in a culture that is more likely than not going to cause them to be more emotionally unstable.

What are your thoughts?

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think you are 100% right. The prison institution is not and was never designed to help a person turn their life around. It's a place where white folks can practice legal slavery and justify it. Beatings, rape, racism and cheap labor are what prison is for. They can care less about rehabilitaing the inmates (especially black inmates). That's why they leave a mark on your record even when you leave prison. So that when you get out and attempt to get your life back on track, there's yet another hurdle to make you slip back and repeat your past mistakes. The justice system is a joke. It's an inhuman the way they treat inmates and no one cares because this behavior is the cornerstone of this country. It's how it thrives, by beating people into submission...that's why it will always exist.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    back when i lived in Holland, there was no penalty for drugs or prostitution.
    new york city had more addicts than their entire country.

the life over there was a lot better than over here.

stiff prison sentences for non violent offenders is a choice of the moralistic american white devil.
    they WANT you to suffer.
    if i was an addict, i would surely get the hell out of the US.

4. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

True, especially since they are the ones getting everyone addicted. That shows you they don't want anyone to recover and go straight. They get you addicted, imprison you and abuse you. Then they make it hard for you to stay clean once you get out because your life is in shambles the minute you hit the street. It's a circle of failure once you get introduced into the system, and that's the way they like it. The more you're in the system, the less freedom you have.

5. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    I concur...

Building prisons is big money .... all those contracts to be handed out for everything from janitorial services/supplies , food suppliers, laundry suppliers, paper towel/toilet paper suppliers ETC...not to mention the folks that build the facilities ... BIG MONEY... The :censored: can't make money if they have no prisoners...

People who are sick (drug addicts, mentally ill etc...) need care not incarceration !!

Much Peace ~

6. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    That is so true James,

It is a horrific system and may God, the Ancestors, and the lesser gods strike amerikkka down for what it has done and continues to do to my people . Meanwhile on the homefront we must expose these devils for what they really are! non melinated, colorless, parasitic termites who rome the earth and reek havoc like the devils that they are! Wake up Black people!

7. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34

Right Akilah, that is big money. I would say that I don't necessarily disagree with drug addicts being incarcerated, because after all, they commit crimes in order to support their habit, but I think the prison's should conduct themselves in a better manner. These are people, not animals. These people are in jail/ prison because they made mistakes, not because they are a lower form of life. Also, I think that depending on you reasons for being in prison, the system should give you treatment daily to pevent you from repeating the same crime, not just make you sit in a cell fo years. That's not going to do anything but piss a lot of inmates off and make them mad at the word. That's not constructive. Everyone should get help to prevent another crime, from domestic violence, arson, drugs, burglary and others except rapist, child molesters and some murderers (depending on the victim). Also, it should be the same across the board....no matter if you're black white or whatever. A crime is a crime.

8. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

It's hard to give a response to this sis....

I know this system was set up to warehouse or destroy us, but the older I get and the more I look at our youth the more hardline and conservative I get and think harsh punishment is the only solution for some people.

In a way, the prisons may not be harsh enough.

Ofcourse I'm speaking as a brutha who never been in an actual prison.

I often recollect one of Richard Pryor's movies when he was on stage talking about his experience of going in a prison and after meeting some of the bruthaz there and hearing what they actually did...

Richard said "Thank the Loooooord for PRISON!"

Kente and Karma

I agree with you both that prisons...especially the prisons of today aren't geared toward reforming individuals.

They're only meant to warehouse people and take more black men off the street.

James

Do you think drugs and prostitution (I know you didn't mention it) should be legalized in America?

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,734
    yes, i do.

prostitution is legal in Nevada.
    do you hear of any great problems coming from there?

isn't it funny that there is a greater rate of addiction in the US, where it is illegal than in Holland where it is legal?
    i think we have more addicts in the US than any where else in the world.
    if non violent vice were legal, the prison population would be a fraction of what it is today.

only violent criminals would be in jail.
    i would prefer that.

10. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    James

Well I agree with you.

I think both should be legalized and well regulated for the safety of the public.

I think America has more addicts than Holland (per capita too) and other Western countries because we have more stresses and pressures in life.

Most Western countries have free health-care, little racism, and a working government that takes care of them from the cradle to the grave.

We're basically on our own in this society, and that's enough to drive some people to self-medication.